1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama Resigns from Church

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, May 31, 2008.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/05/31/obama-resigns-church-membership-in-chicago/

From his Church. I told you this would happen if he wanted to stay in the race.

Obama Resigns Church Membership in Chicago
    by FOXNews.com
    Saturday, May 31, 2008

Barack Obama and Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr. are parting ways, as Obama resigns his membership at the Trinity United Church of Christ. (AP Photo)

Barack Obama and his wife Michelle have resigned their membership at the Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago, FOX News has confirmed, after controversies stemming from the congregation created a persistent distraction for Obama’s campaign.

The criticism started with the sermons of his former pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr., but Obama’s pastor problems were compounded this week by the Rev. Michael Pfleger, whose videotaped guest sermon at the church Sunday showed him taunting Hillary Clinton and saying she felt she was “entitled” to the presidency because she’s white.

Obama said he was deeply disappointed by the remarks and Pfleger apologized, but Clinton’s campaign still demanded Obama specifically reject the latest remarks.

By resigning his membership, Obama is taking the most definitive stand to date against the church.

He already has roundly condemned Wright.

Videos of Wright’s sermons, in which he claimed the U.S. government created HIV to exterminate black people and said “God damn America,” threatened to derail Obama’s campaign when they first surfaced in March.

FOX News’ Bonney Kapp and Major Garrett contributed to this report.
  2. gbrittain

gbrittain Well-Known Member

5,094 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Old motto: Change You Can Believe In

New Motto: Politics As Usual

I can not believe people are falling for this guy.
  3. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,681 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    That thread title is a little misleading. At least it was for me when I first read it. I thought he conceded :laugh2:
  4. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Me neither but there are a lot of people out there believing what is being spread.
  5. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I know. I just wanted to have the fun of typing it before it becomes the real deal. :D
  6. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Catchy title. I like it. Here's another:

HILLARY EMBODIES WICKED...

Sense Of Humor In Speech
  7. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,202 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    can you actually 'resign' from a church or don't you just quit going?
  8. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,057 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    If you're a minister, you do. I think because Obama is such a high profile member that he had to make an official statement for the voting public.

Considering he probably hasn't attended regularly since he started campaigning, and after the Wright and the latest controversy, he was probably never going to attend again anyway.
  9. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    If you are a member of the church yes, you have to resign. Especially if you want to attend and become a member of another church within that denomination.
  10. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Aaawwww! Who changed the title?

Well, it was fun while it lasted, you spoil sports.:p:
  11. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's all just political posturing. If he weren't in a campaign he wouldn't be leaving the church, so therefore this move means nothing.
  12. gbrittain

gbrittain Well-Known Member

5,094 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    And if anyone denies what you just said, they are just delusional.
  13. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    :confused:

I didn't realize membership was actually a tangible thing. I thought you just showed up and blended in with the rest of the sinners and were considered a 'member of the flock'.
  14. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Nope. Not how it works. Especially in churches with "Official" memberships.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,596 Messages
    1,560 Likes Received
    Should have done this weeks ago.
  16. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,900 Messages
    4,246 Likes Received
    Fixed that for you.:D
  17. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,615 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    Not necessarily - he well have meant "years".
  18. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,909 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    :hammer:

He tried to straddle the line too long. He should have cut ties a long time ago.
  19. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,909 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0508/10724.html

Obama quits Trinity
    By: Mike Allen and Ben Smith
    May 31, 2008 10:02 PM EST

On the brink of the Democratic presidential nomination, Sen. Barack Obama (Ill.) announced Saturday evening that he had resigned from his controversial Chicago congregation, Trinity United Church of Christ, “with some sadness.”

Obama told reporters he didn't want his "church experience to be a political circus — I think most American people will understand that, and wouldn't want to subject their church to that, either." He said it has been "months" since he has attended Trinity.

At a news conference in Aberdeen, S.D., after the news emerged on the blog of a black journalist in Chicago, Obama said he and his wife, Michelle, had notified the church in a letter Friday that they “were withdrawing as members of Trinity,” in part because of “a cultural and a stylistic gap.”

Obama said he also regrets “all the attention that my campaign has visited on” the church.

“We had reporters grabbing church bulletins and calling up the sick and the shut-in,” he said. “That’s just not how people should have to operate in their church.

Obama said he began contemplating such a move after the "National Press Club episode" in which his former pastor and longtime spiritual mentor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr., made comments that the senator later denounced as offensive.

“We had prayed on it. We had consulted with a number of friends and family members,” Obama said. “Frankly, it’s one that I made with some sadness. Trinity was where I found Jesus Christ, where we were married, where our children were baptized.”

This week, Obama had to distance himself from a guest preacher at Trinity, the Rev. Michael Pfleger, who last Sunday made comments that seemed to accuse Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) of acting “entitled” because she is white.

Obama said he has “tremendous regard” for the church community, but said he could not live with a situation where everything said in the church, including comments by a guest pastor, “will be imputed to me, even if they conflict with my long-held, views, statements and principles.”

The decision, which will momentarily provoke heavy coverage of an issue the campaign would love to forget, represents an effort by Obama to put a nagging impediment behind him as he heads into head-to-head combat with Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.).

Comments by Wright, repeatedly replayed on television, were criticized as anti-American by conservatives and hurt Obama with some of the disaffected Republicans who had been attracted by his historic candidacy.

Obama, who could clinch the nomination as soon as Tuesday, said he hopes to join a new church soon.

“I’m confident we’ll be able to find a church that we’re comfortable with,” he said. “We probably won’t make any firm decision on this until January, when we know what our lives are going to be like.”

“My faith is not contingent on the particular church that I belong to,” he added. “I don’t think I’m going through a religious test.”

The move completes Obama’s slow walk away from a church that began receiving huge scrutiny late in the campaign’s primary season.

Obama has said he was not present for the most controversial sermons, and said he did not know about them until he began running for president.

“Our faith remains strong and I expect that we will find another church home for our family,” Obama said. “We understand that our faith is something that we apply each and every day. We wish only the best for our friends and the wonderful people at Trinity. They’ll be in our thoughts and our prayers.”

Trinity said in a statement: "Though we are saddened by the news, we understand that this is a personal decision. We will continue to lift them in prayer and wish them the best as former members of our Trinity community. As in the prayer for the Ephesians, our entire Trinity family asks that the nation entrust Barack, Michelle, Malia and Natasha to God's care and guidance so that Christ may continue to dwell in their lives, in their hearts and their work. We ask now for God's peace to be with them."
  20. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,202 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    i was born and raised roman catholic. when we moved to another state we picked up a phone book to find a church we could go to. if we didn't like it, we went to the other.

what do you "sign" that makes you "resign" from the church?

wg - good reply and i can agree with that.