1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama says he's outraged by former pastor's comments

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Dallas, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) - Democrat Barack Obama said Tuesday he was outraged by the latest assertion by his former pastor that criticism of his fiery sermons is an attack on the black church.

The presidential candidate is seeking to tamp down the growing fury over Rev. Jeremiah Wright and his incendiary remarks that threaten to undermine his campaign.

"I am outraged by the comments that were made and saddened by the spectacle that we saw yesterday," Obama told reporters at a news conference.

After weeks of staying out of the public eye while critics lambasted his sermons, Wright made three public appearances in four days to defend himself. The former pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago has been combative, providing colorful commentary and feeding the story Obama had hoped was dying down.

"This is not an attack on Jeremiah Wright," Wright told the Washington media Monday. "It has nothing to do with Senator Obama. It is an attack on the black church launched by people who know nothing about the African-American religious tradition."

Obama told reporters Tuesday that Wright's comments do not accurately portray the perspective of the black church.
    "The person I saw yesterday was not the person that I met 20 years ago," Obama said of the man who married him.

Wright criticized the U.S. government as imperialist and stood by his suggestion that the United States invented the HIV virus as a means of genocide against minorities. "Based on this Tuskegee experiment and based on what has happened to Africans in this country, I believe our government is capable of doing anything," he said.

In a highly publicized speech last month, Obama sharply condemned Wright's remarks. But he did not leave the church or repudiate the minister himself, who he said was like a family member.

On Tuesday, Obama sought to distance himself further from Wright.
    "I gave him the benefit of the doubt in my speech in Philadelphia explaining that he's done enormous good. ... But when he states and then amplifies such ridiculous propositions as the U.S. government somehow being involved in AIDS. ... There are no excuses. They offended me. They rightly offend all Americans and they should be denounced."
    Wright recently retired from the Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago. He became an issue in Obama's presidential bid when videos circulated of Wright condemning the U.S. government for allegedly racist and genocidal acts. In the videos, some several years old, Wright called on God to "damn America." He also said the government created the AIDS virus to destroy "people of color."
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,010 Messages
    3,952 Likes Received
    Of course he's outraged...You get that way when you're trying to get elected and the pink elephant keeps coming back into the room.
  3. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Reminds me of Captain Renault in Casablanca:

"I am shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!"

[IMG]
  4. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sad state of affairs, now he denounces him, 20 years to late
    The preacher ends up torpedoing change.
    With a friend like this, who needs an enemy.

[IMG]
  5. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Gingrich posits that Wright is intentionally damaging Obama:
  6. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    He continues to handle it right IMO.

Very impressed with the man. Some can question his politics, and that is fine. I'm talking about the man himself.

My first thought when Wright said it was for political reasons only that Obama spoke out was that he just put words and ideas in the man's head without his consent. I'd say Obama's remarks here are pretty good evidence it was exactly that.
  7. canters

canters Active Member

1,779 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    You may be correct, but I will reserve judgement. He is still a politician to me until proven otherwise. I don't think he will win IF he is the nominee. He would lose 43-45 states. But would I be surprised to see President Obama warming up to Wright by saying "we have patched up our differences and are now on great terms. I would consult him for my spritual needs if I felt I needed to,,,etc." ? No I would not.
  8. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received

News Flash! he's running for President, he's impressive, but the preacher, has really hurt him. At this point, I believe, he might be a day late and a dollar short. This campaign just became even more entertaining. Hillary, is going to pound him on his judgement. I don't think she can bring up associations, because of her own.:horse:
  9. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Wow! I did not know he was running for President. Holy revelations Batman.
  10. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    As long as he beats Hilary I am fine. I can support either him or McCain for President. Their political party doesn't matter to me.
  11. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,271 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    I am sorry I just don't trust Obama. Yeah it is a good thing that he called him out like he did, but its 20 years to late. You cannot tell me that Obama wasn't aware of the type of sermons that were going on. This man, wright, he been the same way for probally his whole adult life, if fact I would wager he was probably even more militant when he was younger. Obama was close to the man and I am pretty sure that he shares many of his views. Some of those views he doesn't want public.

You are not only judged by your actions, but the actions of those you keep around you.
  12. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Part of me agrees with you. Part of me does not. I shared on this forum one time that my dad and Uncle served time in prison. I've lived with the stains of their actions for a long time and never felt I deserved the association.

It is pretty easy for me to separate Obama from his Pastor. I refuse to do to him what I hate that happened to me.
  13. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Just making sure! Just trying to grasp if his 20 year association with Wright, had influenced you at all. You might be impressed with the man, but Voting for him as President, well I think that ticket just took a drastic turn, but it will be interesting to see what happens within the democratic party with the super delegates.
  14. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,271 Messages
    59 Likes Received

I know what you are saying, but I think family falls into a little bit different catagory.

Actually me and my girlfriend talked about this very same thing this past weekend with the NYC cops being found not guilty. Once we found out that Bell's friend was arrested nine times in the past, inlcuding armed robbery, and served time in jail twice upstate and Bell himself had previous gun and drug charges we had very little sympathy for them much less believing the story.
    Her arguement was if you are changing your life and supposed to be a changed man who was all about his family, why are you running with convicted felons? You have two little girls that don't need to be around that. Now this is only part of what we discussed but it came back to, you are precived by who you keep around you. Typically if people see a group of 5 close femal friends and 4 of them are promiscuous then it is assumed/ right/wrong or indifferent that the 5th is that way as well.
  15. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,010 Messages
    3,952 Likes Received
    Re: Bell. The same question could be asked why are millionaire football players still running around with knuckleheads? They're boys.
  16. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,271 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Which further reinforces my point. At some point in your life you have to make the hard decision to eliminate the bad influences from your life. Which is exactly why so many football players get into trouble. Its a very familier pattern.
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,409 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    Come on Obama are you outraged because of the comments or because you are running for office and it is having a negative effect? You been listening to this man for 20 year and you are just now outraged give me a break!!!!
  18. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,129 Messages
    465 Likes Received

Sorry Hos. Nothing to be impressed with IMO.

He is learning the ropes on "say whatever you have to" to win the people over. No props from me.

We, as a society, are easily fooled or we by in to the "eloquent speakers". I see SCAM when I listen to someone who gives a good speech in politics.

I want actions not words.

Agreed.
    I believe he is actually dangerous. He has some good ideas... but I have a bad feeling about what he really wants to do... dont know what it is but he has this underlying "something negative" I cant put my finger on it.... yet.
  19. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,544 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    Reverend Wright seems to be an attention ***** with more than a couple of flakey opinions. But he is not running for the office of President. And HIS VIEWS should not be confused with those of Obama.

I know some pretty flakey people, too. And they know me - may even count me among THEIR "flakey people". I even love some of them and hope that they feel likewise. But none of us are conjoined.

Obama has renounced many of Reverend Wright's views. Enough to assure me that he is his own man in that regard. I do not require that he crucify Wright and prefer that he NOT make him a central issue in his campaign. I'll leave that to those factions of the knee-jerk media and electorate too lazy or inept to dig into issues more germane to the election process.

So far I think Obama has handled himself admirably in the face of a minor **** storm.
  20. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What took Obama, so long?

And as I said before, I continue to believe that Reverend Wright has been a -- a -- a leader in the South Side. I think that the church he built is outstanding. I think that he has preached in the past some wonderful sermons. He provided, you know, valuable contributions to my family.

But at a certain point, if what somebody says contradicts what you believe so fundamentally, and then he questions whether or not you believe it in front of the National Press Club, then that's enough. That's -- that's a show of disrespect to me. It's a -- it is also, I think, an insult to what we've been trying to do in this campaign.

Wright has showed so much disrespect to so many people, but only when Wright shows disrespect to Obama himself does the candidate take umbrage. Chickens coming home to roost? That doesn't rise to the level of throwing the guy overboard. The government created AIDS? You wouldn't disown your grandmother for saying that. How about God damn America? Surely you wouldn't abandon your community, your roots, just because your preacher damned the country that gave you every opportunity you've ever had. But disrespect moi? Well, every man has his breaking point.

In fact, the whole affair has a rather Beauchampian quality. Deny, deny, deny, nothing to see here. Then when that doesn't work, disavow selected items in the narrowest way possible so as to avoid the embarrassment of disavowing the whole. And when that fails and you have no other choice and the damage is already done, toss the guy overboard with a minimum amount of grace and a maximum amount of self-centered indignation. Oh, and get Andrew Sullivan to make your case well beyond the point when any such case is tenable, only to have him declare your judgment and management of the affair beyond reproach at the very moment you're forced to admit what everybody else has known for months.