1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama says Republicans trying to scare voters

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by trickblue, Jul 31, 2008.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,697 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    Link

Obama says Republicans trying to scare voters
    By MIKE GLOVER

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) -
    Democrat Barack Obama, the first black candidate with a shot at winning the White House, says John McCain and his Republican allies will try to scare them by saying Obama "doesn't look like all those other presidents on the dollar bills."

Stumping in an economically challenged battleground state, Obama argued Wednesday that President Bush and McCain will resort to scare tactics to maintain their hold on the White House because they have little else to offer voters.

"Nobody thinks that Bush and McCain have a real answer to the challenges we face. So what they're going to try to do is make you scared of me," Obama said. "You know, he's not patriotic enough, he's got a funny name, you know, he doesn't look like all those other presidents on the dollar bills."

During a round of appearances in Missouri, Obama worked to link McCain to the unpopular Bush, saying the Republican senator from Arizona would serve the equivalent of a third Bush term if elected. He said the country can't afford more of the same and expects different results.

"That's a definition of madness, but that's what John McCain is offering. He's offering Bush economic policies and Karl Rove politics," Obama said.

He pressed the theme later at a rain-soaked barbecue in Union, Mo.

"They're going to say I'm a risky guy," Obama said. "What they're going to argue is I'm too risky. The real risk is that we miss the moment, that we do not do what's needed because we're afraid."

For its part, McCain's campaign on Wednesday released a withering television ad comparing Obama to Britney Spears and Paris Hilton, suggesting the Democrat is little more than a vapid but widely recognized media concoction.

"He's the biggest celebrity in the world, but is he ready to lead?" the voiceover asks in the ad, which mixes images of Obama on his trip to Europe last week with video of the 20-something pop stars.

Obama's campaign quickly responded with a commercial of its own, dismissing McCain's complaints as "baloney" and "baseless."

Throughout the day, Obama argued that McCain "thinks we're on the right track," drawing boos from his audiences.

"These anxieties seem to be growing with each passing day," Obama said. "We can either choose a new direction for our economy or we can keep doing what we've been doing. My opponent, John McCain, thinks we're on the right track."

That elicited boos from some of the 1,500 people who filled a Springfield high school gymnasium. When an AP-Ipsos poll asked the "right track, wrong track" question this month, 77 percent said they thought the country was on the wrong track. The same poll set Bush's approval rating at 28 percent. Both were records for the AP-Ipsos survey.

"It's true that change is hard, change isn't easy," Obama said. "Nobody here thinks that Bush or McCain has a real answer for the challenges we face so what they're going to try to do is make you scared about me."

Obama also compared himself to western legend Wild Bill Hickok, who he said had fought a duel in Springfield.

"I'm ready to duel John McCain on taxes right here, quick draw," Obama said, prompting a quick retort from the other side.

"If Barack Obama wants this so-called duel then why did he and his entourage run for the hills when John McCain challenged him to 10 town halls?" McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds said.

Obama responded after shaking hands at a restaurant in Lebanon, Mo.

"I don't hear very much positive from Sen. McCain," he said. "He seems to be only talking about me. You need to ask John McCain what he's for, not just what he's against."
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,861 Messages
    1,511 Likes Received
    Republicans do not need to scare voters, Obama and his policy is doing that.
  3. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The level of desperation is embarrassing.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,660 Messages
    2,680 Likes Received
    Oh yes they do, republicans and you are in denial if you don't think they have not used them even back when McCain was going against bush.

Ohhh...McCain had a little black baby out of wedlock.

Or how about in the next elections...geez any time we got some news of a scandal we would mysteriously get a elevated terror alert.

Here in WV in the Bush/Kerry election they mailed out fliers that said if you elected Kerry they would ban the bible.

Well people got wise to the bogus terror alerts so now they have guys saying stuff about another terrorist attack would be great for the McCain campaign.

Fear Tactics, Fear Tactics, Fear Tactics
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,861 Messages
    1,511 Likes Received
    All I said if the Rep do not need to do that Obama can do that by himself.

You disagree fine but I don't base my judgment on what the Rep. says I can make up my mind. Fact is little is known about Obama he has severed a short time in the sen. He is going to lead this nation based on this experience?

There are some issues he has talked about that I have no problem with and others that I strongly oppose.

I do consider myself a Republican but it is because for the most part they see things the way I do, not the other way around. As for fear tactics both do it so whether they need to or not
  6. trickblue

28,697 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    Freudian Slip? ;)
  7. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Dems pull the same garbage:

If you vote Republican, they will take away your social security and medicare.
    If you vote Republican, you will not be able to drink the water or breathe the air.
    If you vote Republican, the poles will melt and sea levels will rise 20 feet.
    McCain is Bush.
    Karl Rove controls McCain.
    If you vote Republican, black churches will burn.
    The Republicans are Nazis.
    You will be shot if you vote Republican.
    If you don't vote for Obama, you are a racist.

I could go on. I could also make a similar list for the other side. No one is innocent - including Obama. Obama complains about conservative scare tactics, then uses them in his speach.
  8. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ...by both candidates!
  9. utrunner07

utrunner07 Active Member

8,927 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    100% correct....Obama is an idiot...can't wait to see McCain run circles around him in an actual debate...if Obama ever mans up...(not that McCain is a political savior himself)
  10. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,645 Messages
    398 Likes Received
    :lmao:

So Republicans are the only ones who use scare tactics huh?
  11. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    First, Barack, there's only one President on the dollar bill... but I get where you're coming from.

Second, last time I looked, ALL of the Presidents on currency were "persons of color."

Just so happens they're all green, which is how you would look too if you ever made it on.
  12. BrAinPaiNt

59,660 Messages
    2,680 Likes Received
    Can you show me where I said they were the only ones? I was talking about the article and replying to someone who said they don't need to use them.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

59,660 Messages
    2,680 Likes Received
    On dollars yes...currency no.

Ever notice that we have a copper skinned Lincoln. :D
  14. zrinkill

32,645 Messages
    398 Likes Received
    Yup ..... you attacked the people defending the accused instead of attacking the ones doing the accusing.

If someone would have started a thread accusing Dems of using scare tactics you would have made a post on how the repubs do it too.

You do not see that as partisan?
  15. BrAinPaiNt

59,660 Messages
    2,680 Likes Received
    I was replying to the article and the person.

Sorry if that chaps your butt.

However I guess people forget that I was all over Hillary for her tactics during this primary. :eek:
  16. zrinkill

32,645 Messages
    398 Likes Received
    Not at all ..... unfortunately I expect it from you by this point.

Its been getting worse and worse.
  17. trickblue

28,697 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    He was our REAL first black president...
  18. BrAinPaiNt

59,660 Messages
    2,680 Likes Received
    Clinton stole it from Lincoln. :laugh2:

I have to laugh now because boy the Clinton's thought they had it in the bag this time around. :laugh2:
  19. trickblue

28,697 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    I think that will end up being a pretty clever ad...

It is funny... the anointed got pw3nd. We just really needed someone different this time around...
  20. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    huh? shot? What Dems you been listening to? Farakhan? The first three I can agree with but I think you are reaching for the stars on those last ones.