1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama talks and the market drops

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ninja, Feb 26, 2009.

1. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,818 Messages
    704 Likes Received
    So ,Obama gives a speech about insuring the uninsured and how he is going to tax the rich and lower Medicare payments to pay for it and the health stocks drop like 20%.

So, soon the hospitals will be on life support from the government and in need of a bailout and stimulus package.

Don't worry. I'm sure the Dems have it all figured out.

And, now I know why Obama owns very little stock, if any.
  2. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,784 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    WSJ Shot across the bow of Obama With the "Radical" word.....Am.Thinker.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2009/02/daniel_hennigers_shot_across_t.html
    [FONT=times new roman,times]Henninger points out that Obama is trying to solve the economic crisis while at the same time, radicalizing the relationship between government and the private sector. The two may seem connected more closely than they actually are. By radically increasing government intervention into the economy, the changes that result are cultural and social changes, not just economic. They go to the very foundation of who we are as a people and seek to permanently alter the face of America.[/FONT]
  3. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He will be 1 and done we will be 4 years into a economy that will never recover under him
  4. sbark

3,784 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    Data from Daily Reckoning Newsletter, Bill Bonner

So far, the Crash of '09 has paralleled the Crash of '29...and the Crash of 1873.

All three began in early September. All three saw the big selling in late October. Both in the case of '29 and '09 a near-term bottom was hit in mid-November.

"Moreover, the percentage declines," writes Dominic Frisby at MoneyMorning, "were virtually identical. An initial decline from the high to a late October low of about 40%, then a rebound of about 15%, followed by a final low in late November - down about another 22%. The parallels are uncanny.

"The worrying thing...it is not unreasonable to expect the eventual low to come no earlier than 2010-11."

After the initial lows were hit in the Crash of 1873, a rebound continued until May of the following year. After the Crash of '29, the rebound continued until late April of the following year. In the case of the 1873 sell-off, the final low was not hit until four years later, and in the case of the '29, the final low was hit in 1932, with stocks 90% below their peaks.

This time the rebound following the November low only recovered 15% of the losses...then, stocks headed down again...and have just now slipped to a new low. If the pattern of the previous two major crashes continues; the final low won't come for a couple years.

Unless we have a Japan-style slump...in which case, it will take much, much longer. Everything keeps falling in the land of the rising sun. Exports have fallen 45%. And stocks are now at a 26-year low. If we follow that pattern, the eventual low in the Dow may not come until 2019...when stocks will be back to 1994 levels.

.......classic case of Govt making it worse, recessions are a natural phenom, but govt intervention in form of Fannie Mae and now in ungodly spending will make this exponentially worse.....

they guys with "skin in the game", the R.Santelli's will call the tape.
  5. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,042 Messages
    1,152 Likes Received
    This will be an interesting comment to revisit. Whether deserved or not, the economy will be very much on the rebound in 4 years, and Obama will get credit for it.
  6. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I could be wrong; but I do not see the economy rebounding all that much in 4 years. I am seeing Jimmy Carter ending myself.

If I am wrong so be it but yes I will be just as curious in my statement as you.
  7. sbark

3,784 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    4 years...as my post above points out, history would predict that is about when the final low will occur....

now that being said....with the county on the balance point of 50% being on the govt dole.......he may very well get re-elected on the messiah concept and style points.......
  8. theogt

44,042 Messages
    1,152 Likes Received
    Or not. Comparisons to 1929 are pretty silly considering it's a totally different economy with a totally different regulatory and government overlay.
  9. sbark

3,784 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    I would agree, with the money being inflated into this economy, as DReck info stated we could very well follow the Japan Model.....and that is current events from mid 1990's.......

From article: Unless we have a Japan-style slump...in which case, it will take much, much longer. Everything keeps falling in the land of the rising sun. Exports have fallen 45%. And stocks are now at a 26-year low. If we follow that pattern, the eventual low in the Dow may not come until 2019...when stocks will be back to 1994 levels.

.......and essentially have 20 yr long obama recession.....Even Ayers will be bombing again by then......

now if we can throw enough of the rascals out of congress in 2010 and stop 65% of this earmarked money before it is spent......maybe even a lawsuit against the Fed Govt by Louis to slow it down as much as possible....
    and if the GOP doesnt act like Democrats again.(that is a BIG IF).....Lotta big IF's...
  10. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,338 Messages
    1,361 Likes Received
    and just the other day i pulled instant gratification out of my arse and showed it off to the world.

you ever stop to give what you don't believe in the same leeway you give what you do?
  11. theogt

44,042 Messages
    1,152 Likes Received
    It's funny, you rail on both sides of the same argument. You claim we're going to follow the same path as Japan, but when Obama (and Bush) try to do things to prevent that from happening, you rail on that too. I think you just like to whine about ****.
  12. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    I must have missed something. He claimed we may be going down the same road of big government spending, just like Japan, Then you claim the big spending of Bush and Obama will prevent us from going down that disastrous road Japan took through gigantic increases in spending? Are you nuts? Did you forget to take your meds?
  13. sbark

3,784 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    You said 29' crash was too far back to be of any use......and yet Obama wants to copy FDR's moves of the 29' era.......

.so I then threw at you a 1990's case...Japan......hope that is current enough ........these things dont happen every day ;)
  14. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,818 Messages
    704 Likes Received
    What are you asking me? What is this mumbo-jumbo you wrote? Is English your second language?

By the way, how are those Vista sales going? My co-workers keep ridiculing it.
  15. iceberg

28,338 Messages
    1,361 Likes Received
    i'm sure it doesn't matter. i'm sure it is and what the hell, sure.

dunno. not in sales. i'm on the server side of support and management. you can make fun of ms all you want - i really don't care. after being there 16 years no one will ever say anything new i've not already heard dozens of times.

but - now that you brought it up - one of my best slams was when win95 came out and we were at incredible universe or whatever it was called before that, on launch night. we were there for the heck of it just to be a part of it. a couple of OS/2 freaks saw our badges (yea, geeky but we wore 'em with pride in public) and kept hammering us about how os/2 was so good. finally one of them looked at me and said "I bet you can't name ONE SINGLE THING that win95 does that OS/2 doesn't do!"

i looked at him and said "make money".

they left.

so whether you like what i do or not doesn't do a thing for even the smallest hair on my arse. but if it makes you feel like you won another phyric victory online, wah. you got me, tex. nice shootin.
  16. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,818 Messages
    704 Likes Received
    Still don't understand your question.

I am not anti-Vista. I have had few problems. Vista's image is crap. I was wondering how MS sales were going for Vista? Is Vista "making money?"

"tex. nice shootin" - I don't own a gun and am anti-gun.
  17. iceberg

28,338 Messages
    1,361 Likes Received
    i don't know, i'm not in sales and don't follow it.

vista is a new generation of writing drivers that enforces more security.
    more security is what everyone said they wanted.
    but it forced a rewrite of the drivers and a new way to do it.
    many manufacturers took their time making drivers or wrote bad ones.
    many wrote good ones and did it on time.
    but it was a reset so to speak of code.

that means problems but the next version of windows will build off this like xp was built off 2k. but people see each version should improve on the old and sometimes it doesn't - it changes things and takes a step back now to step forward twice on the next one.
  18. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    MS has sold over 200 million copies of Vista, I'd say that it's turned a profit for them.
  19. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sorta of the problem with Microsoft all they are selling is what coming packaged with new equipment and the real money is with the big companies and licensing agreement and consulting contracts ect that come with it.

Plus those are OEM's and not getting the full price that they can get for the ones with support etc.

Overall Vista was much like ME it was a nightmare disaster and it was not just vendor drivers Microsoft was part of that issue. They also over bloated the dam system the install has to large of a foot print and under performs xp on every system including systems that are Vista high end machines XP runs better on it period.
  20. iceberg

28,338 Messages
    1,361 Likes Received
    not really. ME was a hack of win98se w/more drivers and fixes piled on and just marketed so poorly and to be honest, never should have been.

vista - again - is a codeshift in how drivers are written. that's why older hardware isn't compatible out of the box, if ever. up to the manufacturers to do that *if* they want to.

winme was the last of it's line, vista was the 1st if you break it down.