1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama: 'This is not a crackpot church'

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Heisenberg, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,045 Messages
    306 Likes Received
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0308/Obama_This_is_not_a_crackpot_church.html

Obama: 'This is not a crackpot church'

Carrie Budoff Brown sends over the transcript from Obama's appearance, airing tomorrow, on the Michael Smerconish Show on 1210 AM WPHT in Philadelphia, from audio the show provided.

In the interview, Obama says he's talked to Wright in the past about "some of his views," and defends Trinity, saying "This is not a crackpot church."

Smerconish is a conservative talker who's been defending Obama's race speech.

OBAMA: I will be honest with you that I didn’t have that many conversations with him over the last year just because I have been so busy. I haven't been going to church. I wasn’t hearing a lot of these comments. The ones that are most offensive are ones that I never knew about until they were reported on. I had had conversations with him in the past – in fact from the day I first met him -- about some of his views. Understand this, something else that has not been reported on enough is despite these very offensive views, this guy has built one of the finest churches in Chicago. This is not a crackpot church. Witness the fact that Bill Clinton invited him to the White House when he was having his personal crises. This is a pillar of the community and if you go there on Easter on this Easter Sunday and you sat down there in the pew you would think this is just like any other church. ... So I don’t want to suggest that somehow, the loops you have been seeing typifies the services all the time. That is the danger of the YouTube era. It doesn't excuse what he said. But it gives it some perspective.

Q: Would the speech have come as a surprise to Wright?

OBAMA: No, I think he recognizes. When some these remarks first came to light were a year ago, and I actually called him and it created some tensions that were reported in the newspapers. He understood that his perspective on some of these issues were very different from mine and hopefully we could agree to disagree on some of these issues. I wasn’t familiar with some of the most offensive remarks that had come up otherwise we probably would have a more intense conversation.
  2. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,045 Messages
    306 Likes Received
    This seems like the best explanation I've read anywhere so far.
  3. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,086 Messages
    3,070 Likes Received
    I feel so bad for him. This has to be a nightmare.
  4. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,052 Messages
    1,188 Likes Received
    The fact that he has to tell people it's not a "crackpot church" tells you what people think of his church. And simply saying it's not isn't going to change that opinion.
  5. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,045 Messages
    306 Likes Received
    The reason he has to say it is because the vast majority of people only get their impression of that church from a few seconds of a few sermons over a 30 year career of ONE of the pastors at that church.

God forbid people do a little research and really find out what the church is like or all the good things they do in the community. That would require work.
  6. theogt

44,052 Messages
    1,188 Likes Received
    If you want to get elected president, you just can't attend and donate to a church with a racist/crackpot pastor.
  7. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There is a difference between a racist/crackpot pastor and a pastor who occasionally says racist/crackpot things.
  8. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,045 Messages
    306 Likes Received
    Yuppers. The man has won numerous awards, helped grow a church that does a lot of good in their community, and has travelled the world helping those less fortunate, but because of these videos from a 30 year career, he's seen as a loon.

His political views may be a bit skewed, but to write him off as totally insane or crazy is a real simple way of viewing things.
  9. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,347 Messages
    1,366 Likes Received
    you run for president, you're going to be handed nightmare after nightmare. the trick is in how you deal with it.

i feel like he's being honest and loyal to his church. i'm not offended or even worried about it. by seeing how he's dealing with all this, i have even more respect for the man. he's not backing down and he's patiently putting it into perspective.

it seems like his "enemies" are doing everything they can to find fault and coming up with a hand full of empty straws in the end. it's time someone quit being PC in all their replies and just said how they honestly felt about it and let me worry about it after that on my own.
  10. iceberg

28,347 Messages
    1,366 Likes Received
    unfortunately the IGS only takes things in their simpliest forms to process good/bad. thinking is a waste of time it seems these days.
  11. theogt

44,052 Messages
    1,188 Likes Received
    Okay. If you want to be president you can't attend and donate to a church that has a pastor who occasionally says racist/crackpot things on video that the church distributes itself.
  12. iceberg

28,347 Messages
    1,366 Likes Received
    so if someone called you a crackpot on your views, they're right?

your saying you're not a crackpot isn't a valid place to start?

i do agree some have their minds made up and that's sad. they'll use any bullet for their gun, fits or otherwise. i think the vast majority are tired of knee-jerking biting them in the end and will start to listen.

the fact he has to tell people he doesn't belong to a crackpot church is what's sad.
  13. theogt

44,052 Messages
    1,188 Likes Received
    They made their minds up AFTER seeing video of the crackpot pastor. It's pretty simple. The guy screwed up by being attached to this guy.
  14. ZeroClub

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm not convinced that is a true statement.

Billy Graham occasionally said some truly inappropriate things and yet he was no stranger to Presidents.

Occasionally stupid things uttered by preachers, pastors, priests, rabbis, etc. haven't changed Presidential elections in the past, so far as I can remember.

Obama's bigger political problem is that he's locked in a battle with Hillary "I won't quit this campaign until you pry it from my cold dead hands" Clinton, who is committed to a scorched earth kitchen sink approach.
  15. iceberg

28,347 Messages
    1,366 Likes Received
    i've seen rush limbaugh pick and choose what he wants you to see and with that "soundbyte" - he can paint a picture any way you wish to go.

if you live 99 great days and only had 1 bad day, do you want people to only see that 1 day? i'm not saying it isn't good to know it's there. but i am saying first, it's his pastor not him and second, obama shouldn't have to agree with everything his pastor says.

i'm a roman catholic and i don't ever even do that. in fact, i was usually a priests nightmare in questions i'd come up with.

i'm saying if i really cared about it i'd dive deep into the story of the church. see the good *and* the bad and find out where they measure up. i'd look at your 99 other days of contributions as well as your 1 day things got away from you.

i just think it's cherry picking at this point to take the extreme only and make judgements about obama when it's not even obama saying the extreme things. just standing by a friend.

hilllary would have put her preacher on a skewer and sold it on pay per view for charity, bypassing the money to land deals in arkansas. anything at all to make you think she gives a damn about your views.

obama holds onto his own and near as i can tell still accepts counterviews w/o a rash of judgement. maybe if more people did that tolerance would go up and PC less necessary.
  16. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,471 Messages
    3,796 Likes Received
    I think it is a church and a man who preaches division with in the country. Obama may not share his views but he also does not condem them nor did he leave the church in spite of the message being preached. Sorry people can spin this all day long but who in their right mind would stay in a church for 20 years listening to these type of statements if they found it offensive.
  17. ZeroClub

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Here's one for you:

It has been widely reported that McCain engaged in multiple affairs, in violation of Uniform Code of Military Justice rules, while married to his first wife (a woman who required crutches and gained weight following a serious auto accident).

So really, which one is worse? Knowing somebody who occasionally says offensive things, or carousing with subordinates and adultery?

I'm just saying ....
  18. iceberg

28,347 Messages
    1,366 Likes Received
    people by and large stay in whatever religion they're born into. is it faith or fault of birth? i can agree on not liking a pastor or not but there's usually a community church you go to. i recall not always liking the pastors we had but out of respect for the position you just find the good where you could.

not defending obama here - or even his pastor. not read enough to really know if this is something he tirades on say every thursday at 4pm or if he just gets on that soapbox rarely.

i just don't care that much. if i want people to quit being racist you sooner or later have to let things slide and let action not words show why that's taking the high road.
  19. iceberg

28,347 Messages
    1,366 Likes Received
    oh either way we'll have a sinner in the white house. : ) status quo, huh? :)
  20. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,471 Messages
    3,796 Likes Received
    Please that is not the only church in town. I did not say he should change faith but to sit there and listen to this BS for years makes one think that evidently he was not offended by it or he would not continue to go to this particular church. This man by Obama own words is someone very close to him. If the shoe was not on the other foot you don't think Obama and his followers would not make issue of it?