1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama to nominate Republican Gregg for commerce

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 2, 2009.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

68,588 Messages
    8,801 Likes Received
    By Laurie Kellman, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 5 mins ago

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama plans to nominate Sen. Judd Gregg as commerce secretary on Tuesday, the White House confirmed on the eve of the announcement as the New Hampshire Republican disclosed an apparent deal that would keep his seat out of Democratic hands.

"I have made it clear to the Senate leadership on both sides of the aisle and to the governor that I would not leave the Senate if I felt my departure would cause a change in the makeup of the Senate," Gregg said Monday in a statement. The White House confirmed the Gregg choice on the condition of anonimity because the announcement had not yet been made.

New Hampshire Gov. John Lynch confirmed the "understanding," stopping just short of promising to appoint a Republican or an independent to serve out the remaining two years of Gregg's term.

The deal would give Obama his top choice for a team tasked with steering the nation out of recession. Republicans get to keep Gregg's seat for two more years, retaining the crucial 41 Senate seats they need to filibuster majority Democrats.

And Democrats, who control 56 seats and caucus with two independents, stand a better chance of flipping Gregg's seat into their ranks in two years by running a candidate against his rookie replacement or an empty seat than Gregg himself.

The White House tried to stay out of the back and forth. But officials there did nothing to squelch the expectation that Gregg would be nominated to the post.

"Obviously, the president has great respect for Senator Gregg," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Monday. "I'm not going to get into personnel announcements before we are there."

Getting to a deal took days of negotiating after it became known last week that Obama was considering appointing the former Budget Committee chairman from New Hampshire to his Cabinet.

Gregg would become the third Republican in the Cabinet, if confirmed. The others are Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Transportation Secretary Ray Lahood.

The deal spares Gregg blame for delivering Democrats complete control of the Senate and a re-election campaign in Democratic-leaning New Hampshire.

Lynch's agreement, meanwhile, shores up his bipartisan credentials at a time when he's confronting a decades-old budget crisis at home.

The Republican expected to be named to Gregg's seat is Bonnie Newman, who served as Gregg's chief of staff during his time in the House. Newman is a veteran of the Reagan White House. Under the deal, she would not run in the 2010 election.

___

Associated Press writers Liz Sidoti, Philip Elliott and Ben Feller in Washington and Norma Love and Holly Ramer in Concord, N.H., contributed to this report.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090203/ap_on_go_pr_wh/gregg_commerce
  2. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament...

29,117 Messages
    464 Likes Received
    This stinks to high Heaven...

Obama is obviously trying to work the system...
  3. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This deal puts a filibuster-proof Senate within the grasp of the Dems. All it rests on now is the word of the Dem governer. Can you trust them? They don't have to appoint anybody other than who they want...it's their Constitutional authority in their state. So .... I ask again.... can you trust them?

Do you trust your new TreasSec? How 'bout the last one? Or Health and Human Services appointment? Or your Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee?
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,958 Messages
    2,524 Likes Received
    I kinda don't like this either. If Newman does a good job, I think it's fair to let her try and run for re-election. I don't like the idea of naming an independant. Nothing wrong with independants but I don't know if that doesn't provide the same kind of majority that the Dems are looking for anyway. Independants normally caucus with the Democratic side of Congress anyway. I don't know. I guess it's like all the rest. We don't have any say in it any longer.
  5. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,303 Messages
    1,025 Likes Received
    He must be desperate to find someone who pays their taxes .....

:)
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

80,531 Messages
    4,995 Likes Received
    This should be interesting considering Gregg's views on things like NAFTA and other free trade issue that Gregg is in favor of
  7. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

68,588 Messages
    8,801 Likes Received
    :muttley:
  8. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament...

29,117 Messages
    464 Likes Received
    Post of the day in the PZ... :laugh2:
  9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

62,420 Messages
    5,948 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
    A news story will probably break in a couple of days about him having a mishap with his turbo tax software and not paying all of his taxes.