1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama to unveil Big Increase in Required MPG

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ConcordCowboy, May 19, 2009.

1. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Obama to unveil big increase in required mpg

Change driven by 30 percent cut in CO2; will cost $1,300 per vehicle

WASHINGTON - Determined to reduce new vehicle carbon emissions by 30 percent, President Barack Obama on Tuesday is announcing that automakers will have to improve car and light truck mileage by that much starting in 2016

The new requirement is estimated to cost consumers an extra $1,300 per vehicle, while saving 1.8 billion barrels of oil through 2016 — the environmental equivalent to taking 177 million cars off the road, senior administration officials said Monday night.

It also marks the first time federal vehicle standards require cuts in carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases tied to global warming.

While the 30 percent increase would be an average for both cars and light trucks, the percentage increase in cars would be greater, rising from the current 27.5 mpg standard to 39 mpg starting in 2016. The average for light trucks would rise from 24 mpg to 30 mpg.

California, 13 other states and the District of Columbia had earlier urged the Bush administration to let them enact rules to cut vehicle greenhouse gas emissions by 30 percent. The Bush administration blocked the request and fought a lawsuit, but Obama has decided to adopt key elements of that strategy.

Will phase in new standards

The California program essentially requires new cars to eventually get 42 mpg. But administration officials later noted that their plan sets a 39-mpg benchmark.

Administration sources noted that while a 2007 federal law requires a 30 percent cut by 2020, Obama's plan steps that up by four years. The requirement will gradually phase in, starting with 2011 vehicle models.

The plan also would effectively end a feud between automakers and statehouses over emission standards — with the states coming out on top but the automakers getting a single national standard and more time to make the changes.

Sen. Barbara Boxer, a California Democrat and chair of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, thanked the Obama administration for bringing together "the federal government, the State of California, and the auto industry behind new national automobile emissions standards that follow California’s lead.

"This is good news for all of us who have fought long and hard to reduce global warming pollution, create clean energy jobs, and reduce our dangerous dependence on foreign oil," she added.

Environmentalists also praised the move. Carl Pope, executive director of the Sierra Club, called it "one of the most significant efforts undertaken by any president, ever, to end our addiction to oil and seriously slash our global warming emissions."

Daniel Weiss, director of climate strategy at the Center for American Progress, described it as "a triple play: It will help move America off foreign oil, save families money and spur American businesses to take the lead in developing the job-creating, clean-energy technologies of the future."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30810514/
  2. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Another rewrite of a Bush policy. Quite the trend Obama is establishing. God forbid he has an original thought.
  3. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,338 Messages
    1,361 Likes Received
  4. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
  5. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Funny you mention that. Not too long ago someone posted a story about car colors and global warming. Something about light colored cars vs dark color and some possible mandates. Does anyone else remember that?
  6. iceberg

28,338 Messages
    1,361 Likes Received
    the real question is - to force this change this fast, how "safe" will these cars be?

there's gonna be a lot of holdover SUVs and full size cars out there for some time to come. if you're in a wreck, you wanna be in the 2001 dodge 4x4, or a toyota yaris?
  7. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,137 Messages
    6,917 Likes Received
    Analysis: Obama brings foes together for auto deal

By Jennifer Loven, Ap White House Correspondent – 36 mins ago

WASHINGTON – The White House-forged auto emissions deal among long-warring states, carmakers and environmentalists is the most dramatic evidence yet of what President Barack Obama is hoping to brand — and eventually sell to voters — as his signature governing style.

"In the past, an agreement such as this would have been considered impossible," Obama said Tuesday in announcing the deal, the usually pokerfaced president reveling in his own achievement. "It represents not only a change in policy in Washington but the harbinger of a change in the way business is done in Washington."

Maybe.

A stack of other complicated issues — health care overhaul, Mideast peace, global warming — probably won't unfold in such a favorable environment for agreement. They will challenge anew Obama's promise to be the kind of pragmatic leader who refuses to get boxed in by ideological labels and can persuade divergent interests to cooperate.

Still, he proved that remarkable results can be won. Under the mileage-and-emissions compromise that Obama built, traditional enemies came together. Everyone agreed to give something:

• The federal government will now do what it long refused under President George W. Bush — bend to the desires by several states to set more stringent fuel-efficiency rules than Washington.

• States, for their part, agreed to abandon efforts to go their own way, at least for the time being.

• Automakers pledged to drop their budget-sapping lawsuits protesting the enactment of a patchwork of differing state rules.

• Environmentalists accepted a longer buildup to more fuel-efficient vehicles.

• Consumers will shell out an average of $1,300 more for new vehicles by 2016.

The proposed new federal rules call for the auto industry to produce by 2016, four years faster than required by a 2007 law, vehicles that average 35.5 miles per gallon overall, which each company adhering to slightly different fuel-efficiency standards across their fleet and vehicle class sizes. Even more, the plan sets the nation's first-ever federal limits on greenhouse gas emissions from cars and trucks, achieving a 30 percent reduction through the new fuel-efficiency levels and by changing standards for air conditioners.

Extraordinary as this grand bargain is, however, it is just as notable that it was driven by a near-perfect storm of circumstances.

The recession makes Americans more leery than ever of paying to drive gas-guzzlers. A climate change crisis is building momentum for action among policymakers. Last year's election turned Washington's government all Democratic. The auto industry, struggling to survive on billions in federal bailout money, is under unprecedented pressure to remake itself into a producer of cleaner cars. A 2007 Supreme Court ruling declared greenhouse gases pollutants under the Clean Air Act.

On other issues, Obama's approach has been taking serious hits.

He deeply irritated liberal backers by reversing course to fight the court-ordered release of prisoner-abuse photos, by reviving military trials for some terror suspects at Guantanamo Bay and by declining to support a truth commission to investigate detainee interrogations.

Republicans, meanwhile, are keeping up a drumbeat of doubt about Obama's decisions to release once-classified legal memos authorizing the use of harsh questioning methods for terror suspects.

Why, some commentators ask, is Obama all over the map? For what does he stand without compromise?

Behind the scenes, the White House is not discomfited by these questions, but delighted.

Aides are gambling that the public will see — and like — a president making decisions and forging coalitions based on circumstances instead of creed. It worked during his successful presidential campaign, when trying to pin down Obama's specific positions amid his soaring rhetoric could sometimes be frustrating. It seems to be working now in his relations with Congress, where Obama refrains from haggling over legislative details in favor of merely setting broad goals.

Carol Browner, Obama's energy adviser who shepherded the auto deal from the beginning of the administration four months ago, said the most important lesson the White House learned was that setting ambitious, difficult goals is good, but only achievable if stakeholders are allowed to be flexible about how they meet them.

"His whole approach is about coalition-building," Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said glowingly of the president on Tuesday. "It's all about bringing people together."

The president hopes that view will only expand — and hold.

___

EDITOR'S NOTE — Jennifer Loven has covered the White House for The Associated Press since 2002.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obama_autos_analysis
  8. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,818 Messages
    703 Likes Received
    Can you picture 4 each 250 pound Americans in a Yaris?

How about a family of 4 on a two week vacation in a Yaris? That trunk ain't big enough to hold their luggage.
  9. iceberg

28,338 Messages
    1,361 Likes Received
    i actually fit (passenger side) in a yaris and i'm over 300 at 6'4". i'd not want to sit in back and no, you better not bring more than an overnight bag - but these are "long term vision things" that will simply "solve themselves" as issues if we just embrace the green.
  10. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I'm a couple of inches shorter but just as big so I know how you feel. When we go on trips we can take my explorer or my wife's focus. I think you can guess which one we choose.
  11. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is a good idea to get us off foreign oil.

Right now my truck won't cut it. I don't know if there's something wrong with the gas tank or gauges but it doesn't get the 22 mpg it used to.
  12. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,234 Messages
    404 Likes Received
    The easiest solution right now is to relax some of the over the top safety equipment in the cars many of these cars now days have another 300-500 pounds of "safety" stuff that saps MPGs, we could have v-8's in the high 20's to low 30 MPGs if there was so much extra weight for questionable "safety" equipment.
  13. Royal Laegotti

Royal Laegotti Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!

4,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You get to choose between green and green.
  14. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,818 Messages
    262 Likes Received
    Get ready to see another chunk of 'change' come out of the coffers. Who else is going to foot the bill to retool all the factories to make these small cars? It's my understanding these requirements will be based on an average of all autos a company sells,where you can still buy that truck you want from someone like Toyota because the Prius (50+mpg) production has been ramped up to offset your consumption. Then if you do want that Tundra,you will pay a hefty "gas guzzler" tax on it,sorta like the "gas guzzler" tax they slap on some of the pricier Mercedes Benz cars. I saw one in a showroom the other day at a MB dealer that had a $3000 "gas guzzler" tax added to the already outrageous sticker price. Too bad I wasn't in there to buy a new MB,but rather a 2008 Camry with 14,000 miles on it that someone had traded in on a new Benz.I got a hell of a deal on it because The dealership was having trouble selling it as a used car because it wasn't a Mercedes. An interesting note was that while there to complete the transaction,at least five people came in and bought new ones off the showroom floor.
    I'll still keep my Tundra,thank you,because I don't think I could put all the tools,ladders,etc. I need to run my business in a little box,or have the horsepower needed to haul all of it up and down the mountains I have to travel to get and keep business.
    On second thought,maybe the new requirements will force me out of business,like it may do to a lot of others,too. I guess I could just go "on the dole"and let Uncle Sugar take care of me....Like so many others in this country right now.
  15. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,302 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    That's interesting. My Benz dealer doesn't even sell cars other than Mercedes. If you trade your non mercedes in, they just turn around and sell it at an auction. They only deal in mercedes new and used cars.

As far as the gas guzzler tax goes, the tax is on cars with engines V8 and above. If it is a V6 you don't have to pay the tax. Some of the AMG models are V8 or V12 engines. I think the E500 is a V8 as well. I think this just opens up the way for a mileage tax since tax revenues are going to decrease.

You should have got a Benz, its so much better.
  16. iceberg

28,338 Messages
    1,361 Likes Received
    the real trick is this is just a "knee jerk" type move. go green and the problems will take care of themselves.

i can hear lobby groups then come after older bigger cars for being so dangerous to the green cars in wrecks. everything to me has a good and bad side and while going "green" may be considered "good" - it's not being thought all the way through by forcing things like MPG to come up so much in just 6 years. they can build the cars that i'd need one for each foot to use, but i'll never buy one.

this is just setting up an epic fail. maybe for good reasons, but damn sure w/o proper forsight and planning.
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,769 Likes Received
    So now the Government will determin what we drive? wow thanks Obama you are all knowing and knows what is best for us all. Your fan club seems to think this, put the screws to people and they thank you for it what a bunch of sheep
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,808 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    The libs always think they know better then us poor dumb normal people. We have to be told how to do everything and cannot be allowed to make decisions on our own.
  19. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That is funny on a truck most V8's get better gas mileage than the V6 model

Oh wait typical government stupidty
  20. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,818 Messages
    262 Likes Received
    Wish I could really afford one,but at 1/4th the price of a Benz,and paying in cash,I'll stick with the best selling American made car over a very expensive American made car.
    btw,the dealer was Mercedes of Buckhead.