1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama will play 3-on-3 basketball to register Indiana voters

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Heisenberg, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,027 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...3-on-3-basketball-to-register-indiana-voters/

HAMMOND, Indiana (CNN) — Barack Obama will put his well-reputed basketball skills on the line in an effort to register young voters in this hoops-obsessed primary state, his campaign announced Friday.

Obama's staff is hoping the chance to play a game of 3-on-3 pick-up with the presidential candidate will entice Indiana high school students to register their friends to vote in the state's May 6 contest. Every student that signs up at least 20 new voters before Indiana's April 7 registration deadline will be eligible to be picked to play against Obama in a game the campaign is calling "The 3-on-3 Challenge for Change."

Students who will be 18 by Election Day this November are eligible to vote in the state's primary.

One winning student will be selected for the game, and he or she will then pick two friends to take on Obama's team at their own high school. Obama's squad will include at least one college student who also signs up new voters, but the campaign has yet to determine who will be the third member.

The Illinois senator played basketball in high school, when he was a member of Punahou High School’s 1979 Hawaii state championship team, and he continues to work court time into his campaign schedule.

Obama was described as "fiercely competitive" on the court in an examination of his hoops prowess last year by the New York Times. A more recent Sports Illustrated story written about Obama's game before the Iowa caucuses heaped praise on the senator's easy jump shot.

The contest was announced Friday by former NBA player Calbert Cheaney, the Evansville native who was named the state's Mr. Basketball in 1989 before going on to play for Bob Knight at Indiana University, where he became the Big Ten's all-time leading scorer.
  2. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,027 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    What a really cool idea.
  3. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cool. I imagine he has a post up game in him.

Not be outdone, my sources are telling me that McCain has lined up a rousing game of Lawn Darts.
  4. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm guessing this goes A LOT better than John Kerry and football.
  5. Mavs Man

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Is Dennis Kucinich involved?

:laugh2:
  6. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,027 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    I hear he's got serious game at shuffleboard.
  7. Mavs Man

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Don't forget 42 and canasta.
  8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,524 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    An interesting variation on ...

[IMG]
  9. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,602 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    Didn't Al Gore tear his achilles playing B-Ball while VP?
  10. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Cheney is offering a round of skeet shooting :D
  11. Mavs Man

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  12. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received

If he can't dunk, he's not fit to sit in the Oval Office...

Even Slick Willie could dunk... we won't go into WHAT he dunked in the Oval Office, though... :D
  13. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Looking at his pictures these days, I'm guessing Al's basketball days are long behind him... LOL...
  14. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Well, that's true, and it's not... it's a round of skeet shooting, a round of tequila... a round of skeet shooting, a round of tequila... a round of skeet shooting, a round of tequila...

The loser is the first one who shoots one of the others in the face...