1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama's blockbuster gift for Brown to reaffirm the 'special relationship': 25 DVDs

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by trickblue, Mar 5, 2009.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Link

Obama's blockbuster gift for Brown to reaffirm the 'special relationship': 25 DVDs

By Joe Murphy

Gordon Brown has been given a collection of 25 classic American films on DVD as his official gift from Barack Obama.

The Prime Minister flew home from his successful trip to Washington this morning with the 'special collector's box' of films hidden in his luggage.

No 10 had tried to keep the present a secret, refusing to answer reporters who asked what President Obama had given to mark the reaffirmation of the special relationship.

However, the London Evening Standard reported, the prime minister received the collection of DVDs as his gift.

It is not known which DVDs were included, but one is thought to be the Dreamworks film Toy Story.

One reason for the secrecy might be that the gift seems markedly less generous and thoughtful than the presents taken to Washington by the Prime Minister.

Mr Brown's gifts included an ornamental desk pen holder made from the oak timbers of Victorian anti-slaver HMS Gannet, once named HMS President.

Mr Obama was so delighted he has already put it in pride of place in the Oval Office on the Resolute desk which was carved from timbers of Gannet's sister ship, HMS Resolute.

Another treasure given to the U.S. President was the framed commission for HMS Resolute, a vessel that came to symbolise Anglo-US peace when it was saved from ice packs by Americans and given to Queen Victoria.

Finally, Mr Brown gave a first edition set of the seven-volume classic biography of Churchill by Sir Martin Gilbert.

The White House issued a press briefing today that put on record how much Mr Obama had appreciated the gifts.

The Prime Minister's reaction to getting DVDs is not known. Mr Brown is not noted for his love of cinema, although he once claimed on a trip to India that he was an admirer of Bollywood.

The Browns showered gifts on the Obama children too, using the occasion to promote British exports.

Sarah Brown gave Sasha and Malia Obama an outfit each from Topshop, which has just opened its first American store in New York.

She also picked six children's books by British authors which are shortly to be published in America.

But the British press has already accused the Obamas of gaffing over the gifts they gave in return.

The Obamas gave the Browns two models of the presidential helicopter, Marine One, to take home to sons Fraser and John.

Though Mrs Brown's choice of gifts was praised as thoughtful, Mrs Obama's choice of gifts for Fraser and John was 'solipsistic'.

'Mrs Brown may have two boys but she certainly knows the way to a little girl’s heart,' columnist Sarah Vine wrote in the Times. 'These were gifts chosen in the true spirit of present-giving: to please the recipient, not the giver.'

Giving the Browns' two young boys a helicopter was 'fair enough', she said.

But she added: 'Marine One? It’s not as though anyone needs reminding that Barack Obama is President or that he has his own helicopter.

'Short of giving the boys Action Man models of her own husband smiting the evil forces of neoconservatism, Mrs Obama’s gesture could not have been more solipsistic or more inherently dismissive of Mrs Brown.

'Not only did she demonstrate that she spent approximately three seconds contemplating the needs of the Brown boys (having an aide pop to the White House gift shop for a piece of merchandising does not imply a great deal of thought), she appeared to show a most uncharacteristic lapse of judgement.'

President Obama telephoned Mr Brown on board his plane last night to thank him for a productive visit.

2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,059 Messages
    5,564 Likes Received
    Interesting...

I guess I wonder what would've been appropriate.

Both countries are going thru tough economic times. I don't know if the country would've appreciated them getting too lavish.

*shrug*
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,902 Messages
    4,248 Likes Received
    He should have given him a small row boat and a case of limes and told him to head back to england. :p:
  4. trickblue

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    I don't really know either... it's more of the perception and the perception is that it was a bit lame...

This is the third time we've dissed our greatest ally in a week... at least in their eyes...

I know the British press has been all over this visit in regards to respect...
  5. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,059 Messages
    5,564 Likes Received
    Honestly, I think it's a matter of things really being different from the Bush Administration and Obama still being relatively young in foreign politics.
  6. trickblue

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    That's why you have foreign policy advisers... they should know not only policy, but etiquette...
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,604 Messages
    1,562 Likes Received
    From what I hear over here in Kuwait there are a lot of people thinking that the US foreign policy is actually going to sound better then Bush but end up being worse. Right or wrong you knew Bush would stand for a point and not waver. People over here are thinking Obama and Hilary just drift with whatever wind is blowing in Washington.
  8. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,219 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    DVD??? DVD??? Obama couldn't be troubled to at least get Blu-ray?
  9. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,695 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    he probably Ebay'd them.......got a "buy it now" for 5.00 and free shipping

meanwhile Brown gave them a pen set from HMS Resolute wood.....same material the desk in the oval office is made from.........

I wonder If G.Brown took the 9-11 gift of W.Churchill statue back with him on the plane......

well ...maybe for the better.....if the last democrat President is any indicator, this admin probably would've heisted it as they left office
  10. sbark

3,695 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    ...isnt that where all the carryover Clinton Admin. people could chime in....Hillary, Rhame, Holder, David Gergan,

Axlerod is a vet politicaian.....

could it be Obama got advice......and was aragont enough to disregard it?

thats Change....
  11. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh man, I bet that's it!!
  12. sbark

3,695 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    so then your saying...he received no advice, solicited no advice.......and then went out to Walmart and bought the most crass gift he could think of....

.....or maybe it was a gift they didnt want from Larry Flint leftover from Inaugeration day.........they probably have another few hundred of those.....
  13. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,956 Messages
    2,187 Likes Received
    On the surface, this whole affair seems silly; however, by my assessment, we have two genuine allies in the world, and Britain is one of them. Maybe we should be more wary of the consequences of our actions here.
  14. sbark

3,695 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    I'd like to think 3----Britain, Canada and Aussies.....

but Britain might be the 1st to fall to the Muslim voter block
  15. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,278 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    New Zealand as well. Hence the term Five Eyes.
  16. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,956 Messages
    2,187 Likes Received
    Britain and Israel were my selections. But, what do I know?:D
  17. sbark

3,695 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    Wont argue with Israel or New Zealand either......
  18. burmafrd

41,604 Messages
    1,562 Likes Received
    Realistically those five are really the only ones that we can reasonably count on to be somewhat consistently favorable towards us. RIGHT NOW the French Leadership and German Leadership is that way but that changes government to government.
  19. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There's no way that he went to Walmart, I was thinking one of those movie purchase agreements like Columbia House.
  20. burmafrd

41,604 Messages
    1,562 Likes Received
    amazon.com