1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama's tax hike for the rich may be delayed

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by VCDefectors, Nov 24, 2008.

1. VCDefectors

VCDefectors Benched

1,080 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Obama proves once again that he is generous to all Americans. I hope the right-wingnuts will acknowledge that Obama does listen and only wants what is best for his People.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081125/ap_on_go_pr_wh/fact_check_obama_taxes

Obama's tax hike for the rich may be delayed

WASHINGTON – An economic crisis, rising joblessness and a credit squeeze can make a president-elect refine his words. Today's word is "repeal." During his presidential campaign, Barack Obama promised to repeal President George W. Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy ahead of their scheduled expiration in 2011.
    It was part of how Obama would pay for an overall net tax cut aimed at low- and middle-income taxpayers, and an effort to bring what he called "fairness" to the tax system.

No one is talking tax hikes now.

Over the weekend, Obama said he has charged his new economic team with devising a plan that would create or preserve 2.5 million jobs over two years. He said the plan would include broad spending plans as well as the middle- and low-income tax cuts he described during the campaign.

Aides later said the plan would not include any of the tax increases Obama, as a candidate, had said he would impose on taxpayers who make more than $250,000.

Asked Monday when those hikes might go into effect, Obama said, "Whether that's done through repeal, or whether that's done because the Bush tax cuts are not renewed, is something that my economic team will be providing me a recommendation on."

If repealed early, Obama's tax increase on the rich would have generated significant revenue, but not enough to compensate for the cost of his tax cuts. An analysis by the Tax Policy Center, based on January 2008 income projections, estimated that the increases would result in about $43 billion in revenue in 2009 and $45 billion in 2010. Those numbers would be smaller now, as the economy has lowered expected incomes.

Obama's economic advisers say he will not propose any tax increases in the economic plan he unveils in January. It is to be focused entirely on job creation and economic recovery.
  2. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "P"eople
  3. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    "his people"?
  4. iceberg

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    well at least he didn't capitalize the H in "his".
  5. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,668 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    So wait a second... what you're saying is that raising taxes on wealthy people hurts the economy and not raising taxes on wealthy people helps the economy?

Please let me know if I misunderstand you.
  6. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's simple...whatever Dear Leader says is what is so. When Dear Leader says to "his People" that tax increases help, then by gosh tax increases help. When Dear Leader then recants, the original position never existed...and all of a sudden tax increases hurt. That is until Dear Leader says they help again. We are, after all (as VietCongDefector so eloquently put it) "his People" now and should behave as such.
  7. iceberg

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    this is gonna be a very strange 4 years.
  8. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,778 Messages
    522 Likes Received
    Democratic party = Republican party
  9. iceberg

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    hey man, watch what you say about my people! or People! or whoever they are!
  10. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wait, so...

Democratic party = Communist party
    Democratic party = Republican party

ergo

Republican party = Communist party

:confused: :eek:
  11. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    WE'RE SCREWED! ALL OF THE pEOPLE!
  12. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,778 Messages
    522 Likes Received
    This is only true around January to April every 4th year.
  13. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Fail to come through on campaign promises? Yes We Can!
  14. VCDefectors

VCDefectors Benched

1,080 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I didn't say that. All I said was that Obama felt the urge to be generous towards the rich. Isn't that nice of him? I mean really....you guys were complaining about Obama rasing taxes and now you are complaining about Obama not raising taxes? Come on...:rolleyes:
  15. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No, we're simply pointing out that he's completely switched economic viewpoints (or more precisely, wants you to believe he's switched). He said all along the economy could be propped up by taxing the "rich" (the income of level of whom is a moving target apparently). Now, to help save the economy, he says he may postpone tax increases. We're all for tax cuts and keeping them...he has not been. And it puts the lie to his claim all along that he believes tax increases on upper-income individuals could help rather than hurt the economy. He's proving even he doesn't really believe that. Drop the facade buddy...ain't working on me.
  16. VCDefectors

VCDefectors Benched

1,080 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Obama is simply doing what is most prudent at this time. It's kind of like how they swab a serial killer's arm with alcohol before the State executes him. Think of it that way if it helps.
  17. suspenceman

suspenceman Jerry's kid

121 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    well, if most conservatives had our way...we wouldn't even have lethal injection...heck, not even a hanging, i want heads cut off. what a waste of money to poison someone to death.

and if not taxing the rich MORE now is good...why would this not be good later?
    look, if he changes his mind on this, then great i'd be glad to forgive him for his lies throughout the campaign, pandering to poor folks about how the rich people need to share their wealth because the poor folks deserve it!!!
    HA, and now this..."well...the economy could be hurt AT THIS TIME if we tax the rich more" ***...that applies to ALL OF THE TIME sir.
    good day
  18. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,820 Messages
    2,034 Likes Received
    That's an excellent analogy for Obama's economic plan.:D
  19. iceberg

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    no - we're pointing out that when obama said they needed to be raised, you were there to rally around about how it was right for the economy.

now you're saying obama is being generous, but now it would be at the *expense* of the economy. don't you see your own "flipping around" here to follow blindly? if the economy needs to be fixed obama can't afford to be generous. if taxing the rich were good for the economy, he'd need to do it for us all.

you don't really care what is going on however, you continue to spout out whatever your parties talking points are as if they make sense.
  20. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,437 Messages
    3,673 Likes Received
    I might have to give you an infraction now that I know you can use the Shift Key and actually did capitalize a letter. ;) :p: