1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Off-Season Priority #1: Find A Running Game

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TheFinisher, Jan 1, 2013.

1. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,427 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    Unfortunately, we are not one of those teams that can be a contender relying heavily on the pass. Romo is a capable QB, but if we continue to put too much on his shoulders we're going to continue watching the playoffs from home. All is not lost and we do not have to blow things up, but we absolutely MUST develop a good running game to give ourselves a chance. It's going to help the QB by slowing down the pass rush AND the defense by keeping them off the field. The running game is the foundation of every good balanced offense, and its what we've been missing during the Romo/Garrett era.

Even if all we do this off-season is bring in some road graders up front and a complementary bell-cow to Murray, we'll still see a much improved team come September. Get back to basics, pound the rock.
  2. miamicowboy21

miamicowboy21 Active Member

2,836 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    This draft is full of offensive lineman and defensive lineman. 80 percent of our draft must be devoted to both sides of the line thats where these games are won.
  3. TheFinisher

2,427 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    Here's a stat that doesn't get much play but has as much to do with our lack of success in recent years as anything else:

Our last 1,000 yard rusher was Emmitt Smith.

Let that marinate.
  4. zack

zack Well-Known Member

2,090 Messages
    276 Likes Received
    Actually it was Julius Jones in 2006. But this is what the team needs to be successful on offense. Romo is more than capable and he would excel if he had the Seahawks, Redskins, 49ers, Vikings running games. Can you imagine if we had a good running game?

But is Garrett really committed to doing this? Even in the game against the Skins, Romo threw it 40 times.
  5. egn22

egn22 Active Member

820 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    You can't possibly be serious. Are you kidding me??????
  6. TheFinisher

2,427 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    Ok so Julius Jones did it once about 7 years ago, crucify me.

The point still stands that the lack of a running game has hurt us since The Romo/Garrett era started.
  7. TheFinisher

2,427 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    Yea I forgot Jones did it once, but its still a troubling stat.

We need a run game.
  8. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,001 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    We often talk about the mess of sub par QB's we had to contend with between Aikman and Romo but we hardly ever talk about the failed attempts to shore up the RB position since Emmitt. Its as equally embarrassing.
  9. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,905 Messages
    2,810 Likes Received
    I don't think he was mad at you, I think he was appalled that it's been that long. :)

As you point out, if *might* not be coincidental that 2006 was the last time we had a different OC.
  10. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,409 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    I'd go for a line that can pass block.
  11. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,038 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    Whether Murray is the answer or not they must find a reliable running back who's going to be on the field 95% of the season. I'm sick of these fragile running backs in Dallas.
  12. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    That ship sailed when we passed on Stephen Jackson for Julius. That still irritates the living crap out of me.
  13. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,038 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    I know... Parcells wasn't the genius folks claim he was.
  14. TheFinisher

2,427 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    Oh, I apologize then lol. Internet misinterpretation.
  15. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,432 Messages
    308 Likes Received
    You get a line that can effectively block, and the re-animated corpse of Walter Payton can get you 4.2 yards per carry.

We don't need to lead the league but we MUST get consistent yardage on a running down. We don't need to pop for huge yardage but we cannot have the kind of game where we have an enormous number of runs of 1 yard or less. Even three yards on a carry make an enormous difference in makeability on your next play. This also translates into effective short yardage running - if we need one yard, we need to be able to run for one yard. Don't need five, just one. And that almost always comes back to blocking.

As noted, Murray has health issues, but I still believe the key is not the runner per se but consistent blocking at the line.
  16. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,029 Messages
    7,509 Likes Received
    It's definitely the blocking. We haven't had a real quality OL in nearly two decades. Our short yardage and red zone offense has always been a joke because of it. Just putting a hat on a hat situations aren't winnable for the Cowboys.

I don't care what back you have, he's not going to excel with that many stiffs blocking. No offensive coordinator and/or play caller is going to overcome that either.
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,758 Messages
    5,469 Likes Received
    I still think we should crucify him, just to be on the safe side. :)
  18. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,768 Messages
    4,320 Likes Received
    I completely agree.

The Cowboys have a lot of passing yards; however, they can't get it done in critical situations due to a sub-standard running game. Without a running game, especially in the Garrett type of offense, the QB must play a very high risk game.

Cowboys Rankings:
    31st total yards rushing
    30th rushing average

3rd total yards passing
    9th passing average
  19. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,768 Messages
    4,320 Likes Received
    I don't think the Cowboys are that far away from having a much better running game. Even adding just one really good run-blocking Interior OLineman would do wonders, IMO.

They will have some options on the roster at OC, with Costa, Kowalski, and Bernadeau coming into Training Camp healthy. At OG, I just don't see the required talent for 2013. I like the idea of getting one of the Jets OGs that have experience with Callahan. Neither one is a great player at this point; however, either would be a big upgrade over Bernadeau and their knowledge of the scheme would be helpful to the other players.

Add a draft pick that could take over at either Center or the other Guard spot at some point.

They need to draft another RB. There appear to be a lot of talented RBs in the mid-rounds of the 2013 draft.
  20. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,107 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Andy Levitre is the best guard in FA, while Warmack looks to be a very good run blocker... Both play on the left side of the center, so I am guessing trying to add both would be out of the equation unless Warmack could easily slide over to the right side.. Not sure how much of a transition that would be for Warmack... It would do so much good for this offense though if you could add 2 beasts this offseason