1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Off-Season Priority #1: Find A Running Game

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TheFinisher, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

4,798 Messages
    582 Likes Received
    What is the formula for ANYPA exactly ?
  2. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

4,798 Messages
    582 Likes Received
    All variables (int, completion percentage, etc.) being equal but if one team passes for little more yards, won't that be the team who would have passed better?
  3. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

4,798 Messages
    582 Likes Received
    Any time I see an argument supported by a "average" type of statistic, more time or not I see errors in the conclusion based on that statistics. Why? Because average type of statistics don't tell the full story.

For example if two RB had exact same stats in a game, their average should be same. If they they had 20 carries for 100 yards . You wold say they had a same game or very close to it by just looking at the numbers. But if you actually saw the game, they could have had two totally different type of game.

One runner may had a Barry Sander type of game (1 long gain followed by 2short gains followed by a big negative game) and the other may have had E. Smith type of game ( 5 yards, 3 yards, 7 yards).

Even though their stats are same, the way they ran would have completely different influences on the outcome of the game. One runner would have helped his team keep drives alive, and the other could have killed few drives by getting a big negative play.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,769 Messages
    3,758 Likes Received
    That's not his argument. His argument is they passed more effectively than we did, mostly because our passing game was really ineffective.

And, yes, I agree with his him.
  5. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,934 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    I use this one --

(Net passing yards - (50*INT)) / (Attempts + Sacks)

Some people use 45*INT instead of 50*INT, but the difference rarely comes into play and doesn't really change the correlation.
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,801 Messages
    1,605 Likes Received
    So does Dallas need to find a running game or not? Or better yet, rather than making the question so absolute, would Dallas be wise to find a running game?

I'm not sure I can stay interested enough to sift through multiple pages of arguments over the running game.
  7. AdamJT13

14,934 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    It was not effective enough in too many games. Our pass defense was an even bigger problem.

Our ANYPA was higher than average in eight games and lower than average in eight games. Our defense allowed an ANYPA that was higher than average in 11 games and lower than average in five games.

The team that passed more effectively went 14-2 in our games this season. We were 7-1 when we passed more effectively than our opponent and 1-7 when we did not. The only two outliers were overtime games.
  8. AdamJT13

14,934 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    Some people vehemently argue that it should be the No. 1 priority this offseason, for whatever reason. But if you look at the evidence for what wins in the NFL, the answer is no -- the priority should be improving the passing game and our pass defense, including pass blocking and the pass rush.
  9. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,217 Messages
    1,964 Likes Received
    This tells me that Garrett the OC needs to be fired.

If Garrett the head coach doesnt like it, he can walk.
  10. AdamJT13

14,934 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    Yes, if both teams have the exact same number of attempts, times sacked and interceptions thrown, then the team that has more yards will have passed more effectively. But how often are all of those other variables equal? It happened only one time this season, and yes, the team that had more yards passing (23 more) won the game.

If the teams don't have the same number of attempts, times sacked and interceptions thrown -- as was the case in the other 255 games this season -- then total yards might not be indicative of which was more effective throwing the ball.
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,769 Messages
    3,758 Likes Received
    Anything interesting in the stats to help unpack interception statistics to really identify what the team needs to do to take it away more and give it away less relative to everybody else? Ie, how to we correlate our pass blocking with our turnovers, and how to we know the issue with takeaways is the rush and not the coverage?
  12. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,011 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    Your playing the “If” game. You can’t eliminate any of the turnovers because they actually happened in the game.

The Skins had the lead because they could play a conservative game by running the ball well.

They had good pressure on Romo all game and knew it would be a good bet he’d throw a pick(s) which he did.

The Dallas defense was about as likely to generate a turnover as the NRA is likely to voluntarily give up its guns and the Skins knew that too.

In the end Dallas was -3 in turnover ratio and that alone means your highly likely to loose the game irrespective of any other stat you’d care to quote.

Washington played the odds and won.

Credit to them.
  13. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    The biggest problem with the cowboys passing game is that its just about all we have. It also lacks a coordinator that understands offense. A lack of the hurry up, crossing patterns, WR screens, play action passing. I would also argue that just about any passing attack with a QB like Romo is going to put up alot of yards.
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,861 Messages
    1,512 Likes Received
    Passing is important but there is still place for a running attack. Washington did not have to throw much and why should they when their RB gets nearly 200 yards on the ground. If by running successfully in tern helps the passing game as it does for many teams in the NFL then it is wise to fix a running game that ranks around the bottom.

To say running has no bearing on winning I think is wrong when I see an effective rushing attack helping so many teams out there.
  15. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received

LOL.....for whatever reason?

Still clueless I see. Actually, most of the website has spend hours trying to explain it to you. Ill try once again by listing the reason so you can see them quite clearly why this team needs a better running game:

1. To take the pressure off of Romo and the passing game having to do everything
    2. To help Romo by getting more 2nd and short and 3rd and short situations instead of 3rd and long
    3. To make our offense not one dimensional
    4. To give DC's around the league and defensive something else to gameplan against and worry about.
    5. To slow the pass rush against Romo
    6. So the defense cant simply tee off on an offense the know cant run very well.
    7. To improve short yardage situations
    8. To help improve the offense in the redzone
    9. To help us punch it in from inside the 5 yard line and not settle for field goals
    10. To make the defense creep up and put more men in the box thus opening up the passing game and the deep ball
    11. To make the play action pass more effective even though Garrett barely uses it.
    12. So that dont have to pass 40 times a game to win.
    13. So we dont have to wing the ball all over the place all game and this will help reduce picks, and sacks and negative plays.
    14. So Garrett or whomever can use the entire play book
    15. So in bad weather when its snowy, rainy, or windy and the pass is difficult we can move the ball by relying on our great run game.
    16. To help increase time of possession, allow our defense to rest more
    17. To help wear down thier defense so they are tired by the 4th quarter
    18. So they we can build an offense that can take advantage of whatever the defense throws at us or style of defense we are playing.
    19. So we can dominate teams with great pass defenses and poor run defenses.
    20. So we can run out the clock when we have a lead late in games by pounding the ball, picking up first downs and letting the clock run.
    21. Olineman get excited about running the football
    22. So that we can be more of a physical football team.

If you were wonder, or had no clue, which many on here have eluded to, you do now. If you dont understand it now, you never will.
  16. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Lets just use STATS to prove how absolutely absurd your claim is that the #1 priority should be improving the passing game over the run game.

In 2012 the Cowboys were #3 ranked in all the NFL in passing.

In 2012 the Cowboys ranked #31 out of 32 teams in the NFL in the run game.

And your genius, priority #1 advice is improve the passing game and not worry about the run game?

Wow......thats all there is to say is wow. Has there ever been more of a ridiculous statement made or more backwards analysis on any forum EVER?
  17. Milkbone

Milkbone Member

65 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    On any forum? I see the squirming bloodbath continues.
  18. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    This guy thinks that Tom Brady or Manning is coming through the door tomorrow and well be able to be as efficient at passing as they are. LOL :lmao2:

And I am sure that the goal of the packers every offseason is to improve the passing game over the run. LOL
  19. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    I actually found a guy that would bring down the barometer lower than it already is over at the other board. You should invite him over there, he would fit in quite nicely on DP island. LOL
  20. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,759 Messages
    841 Likes Received
    You have a stat that doesn't include passing TDs? Yet claims to address passing effectiveness? That's absurd.