1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Off-Season Priority #1: Find A Running Game

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TheFinisher, Jan 1, 2013.

1. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,155 Messages
    1,825 Likes Received
    At the same rate (66.9).

If a 55.9 rating on that many attempts says we did.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,878 Messages
    2,122 Likes Received
    True. I have tried to say this may ways passing game matters and it matters a lot however the running game especially on some of the NFL teams matter a lot it is part of who they are and what they are as an offense.

It take pressure off the QB it allows that QB to play in situation that are favorable like 2nd and 4 where defense has to be on the lookout for run or pass they can't just pin their ears back and go after the QB.

Not many teams are getting fooled by offense staring at a 2nd and 20 we all pretty much know what that offense has to do and that is throw the ball.
  3. wick

wick Active Member

743 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    To punctuate my point, it is a comma mistake to conclude that rushing wins in the NFL. It is passing, period.
  4. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

4,757 Messages
    253 Likes Received
    While reading through this thread it reminded me that at some point Andy Reid had made a statement about the importance of running the ball being overrated by many poeple and that passing the ball correlates to winning games.

Maybe he was referring to the trends and stats referred to in this thread.
    I dont remember him getting into a lot of specific stats with his statement, and he often gives the vibe that most fans really dont get the game of football and it would be beneath him to try to break it down for them so is doubtful that he would spend time to really elaborate.

I do remember him getting ripped after that press conference by the radio guys and fans really bad and he has always been criticized for not wanting to run enough. In philly the fans have been wanting to run him out of town for years but around the league he is a pretty highly respected coach.
  5. Doomsday101

75,878 Messages
    2,122 Likes Received
    Think you would have a hard time selling that to the coaches sitting in the post season. Passing is important and to be effective in the passing game, for some teams it is their ability to run to set up good situations for the passing game.

Defense can't sell out on the passing game when they have to be concerned with stopping the run. Defenses would not bother putting 8 in the box if it did not matter.

When defense are forced to bring up the extra man in the box that is when the offense can then take those big shot down the field knowing the CB is not getting the help over the top.

For some teams the running game damn well is a big part of their offense.
  6. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,935 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    If a "big time running game" forced defenses to play in such a way that it "opens up the passing game," then it would show up in games. But it doesn't. Teams don't pass any better when they are running the ball great than they do when they can't run it at all.
  7. AdamJT13

14,935 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    Except that the same effect is possible even for teams that don't run the ball very well. It works based more on personnel, formation and game situation than previous success. The benefit of being able to run better is very minimal.

Look at all of the run-based offenses that succeeded despite averaging a very low YPC. Why are they successful at plugging away at the run even though they average less than 4.0 YPC? Because it really doesn't matter how successful they are at running. If they run it a lot for 3.5 YPC but are effective when they throw the ball, they will win more than if they ran it a lot for 4.5 YPC but are not effective throwing the ball.
  8. AdamJT13

14,935 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    Total rushing yards does not equate to being effective at running the ball. If you want to finish near the top of the league in rushing yards, just run it a lot, even if you stink at it. It won't make you any better at running the ball or help you win, but you will rack of the total rushing yards.
  9. AdamJT13

14,935 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    How much does something really matter if it doesn't help you win and doesn't help you do something that helps you win?
  10. Doomsday101

75,878 Messages
    2,122 Likes Received
    Sorry but when I watch a game and see a team forced to bring guys up in the box then the opposing teams attacking that through the air then what you want me to say? It does not show up in a stat sheet that a defensive safety had to drop down in the box allowing the one on one match up but it still happened. Stats are not the be all. I know you are a stat guy that is great but stats never tell the entire story or the effect the run is having.

You don't think the 1,600 yards Morris put up did not help Washingon win games? :laugh2: That your view
  11. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

4,757 Messages
    253 Likes Received
    What determines if you are a run-based offense ? Is it the % of runs to pass ratio and if so how high of a % would it have to be for you to consider it a run-based offense.
  12. Doomsday101

75,878 Messages
    2,122 Likes Received
    Key word!!!!! Not all teams are built the same. Some teams the run is key it is a vital part of their offense. No not all teams need to be able to run the ball great but some do it is part of what helps them win. Not every team is going to have an Arron Rodgers but they don't need to. Minn beat GB with Rodger why because Ponder is better? No Peterson put of 200 fricken yards that matter that helped them win without Peterson Minn is not winning. Without Morris and his yards and TD washington is not winning.

Stats are an avg of 32 teams but not ever team is built the same way you play to your strenghts and if you have a great rushing attack then you use it to benifet your team.
  13. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,616 Messages
    4,168 Likes Received
    :starspin:starspin:starspin:starspin:starspin

I've updated my mock in anticipation:

1 - WR Keenan Allen
    2 - WR Cordarrelle Patterson
    3 - WR Quinton Patton
    4 - WR Stedman Bailey
    5 - WR Conner Vernon
    6 - WR Tavarres King
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,563 Messages
    5,291 Likes Received
    It can be something everybody does, or needs to do, and still be the case that doing it more effectively doesn't matter.

Not running at all, for example, puts teams in game situations where passing effectively is more difficult. The incremental benefit of running better than the other guy might not matter, but it doesn't logically follow from that that running itself isn't important.
  15. percyhoward

8,155 Messages
    1,825 Likes Received
    Just to clarify for anybody who doesn't get it yet...

Yes, he really is saying that the Skins' 274 yards rushing did nothing to help them win, despite 87 yards passing.

And yes, he really is saying that the Giants' 17 red zone rushing TD to Dallas' 4 did nothing to help them win more games in 2011.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,563 Messages
    5,291 Likes Received
    I don't think that's actually his point. That running success potentially avoided the passing game inefficiencies that could have gotten them beat.

If running well eliminates your team's passing-game downside and keeps pressure on the other team to keep pace, then you can beat that team just by making sure *they* can't pass effectively on their end. That's what happened to us in WAS.
  17. intelmax

intelmax New Member

89 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think one of the reasons demarco is always injured is because of the fact the we don't really have an O-line. Demarco basically gets all his yard by himself, that and the fact that he runs like marion barber even though he weights a good 10-15 pounds less.
  18. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,109 Messages
    899 Likes Received
    If that was true, Washington should still win if we take away the run stats from the Sunday's game .

But guess what, they didn't have any passing TDs and we had 2. That means we would have won 14-0.
  19. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,109 Messages
    899 Likes Received

If what I boded is true, then run games does have direct impact on winning and losing. If that's what he means, why does he keep saying run game has no impact on wins or losses.
  20. percyhoward

8,155 Messages
    1,825 Likes Received
    Just pretend Griffin, with his 66.9 rating, threw 4 touchdown passes.

I know, I know. :D