1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Off-Season Priority #1: Find A Running Game

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TheFinisher, Jan 1, 2013.

1. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, but the Texans, 49'ers, Seahawks, and Vikings were not waiting until the 4th quarter to run in order to protect leads.

IMO, Romo is not on the level of Brady, Manning or Rogers, so a strong running game would help him out considerably.
  2. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,670 Messages
    2,801 Likes Received
    Anyway, I looked it up myself.

The Giants scored more points than we did--not because they had more possessions--but because they scored more touchdowns (.241) per possession than we did (.212).

They outscored us because they had 17 rushing TD to our 5.

They outscored us because they were 9th in red zone TD %, and we were 20th.

They outscored us because they could run the ball in the red zone and we couldn't.
  3. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,068 Messages
    661 Likes Received
    If they still passed it more effectively than us, then yes, they probably still would have won. That's how it usually works in the NFL, whether you run it a lot or run it a little, whether you run it well or run it poorly.

The Redskins went 4-1 this season when their quarterback threw 34 passes or more (3-1 for Griffin, 1-0 for Cousins). The only loss came against Cincinnati, when the Redskins rushed 34 times for 213 yards and even scored a defensive TD. They lost because the Bengals' passing game torched their defense (11.2 AYPA).

A running game doesn't really help you win games. Its impact is almost negligible.

If you pass more effectively than your opponent, your winning percentage is almost exactly the same (about 80 percent) whether you run it better or worse than your opponent. Likewise, if you pass it less effectively than your opponent, your winning percentage is almost exactly the same (about 20 percent) whether you run it better or worse than your opponent.
  4. AdamJT13

15,068 Messages
    661 Likes Received
    No, they outscored us in 2011 because they had the ball 12 more times than we did. Do the math yourself. If we had the exact same number of possessions, we would have scored more points.

Like I said, it doesn't matter how you score, as long as you score. Anything else is simply trivial.
  5. percyhoward

8,670 Messages
    2,801 Likes Received
    A strong running game would help any of those QB, and based on Romo's numbers with more than 40 attempts in a game, he doesn't need help from a running game any more than Brees and Brady do.

That list I responded to is misleading because it suggests that the teams with the most rushing attempts are all successful because they run. The truth is that many run because they're successful.

Schaub has more 1st half pass attempts than Romo, btw.
  6. percyhoward

8,670 Messages
    2,801 Likes Received
    I'll put it this way.

How do you explain the fact that we scored more points, but they scored more touchdowns?
  7. percyhoward

8,670 Messages
    2,801 Likes Received
    While it proves that running the ball more often is not necessarily a formula for success, it doesn't prove that you can't have more success by being able to run the ball.
  8. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Fix the O-line and the running game is fixed
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,949 Messages
    7,698 Likes Received
    But it doesn't need to prove that, does it? Is anybody contesting that you can't have more success by being able to run the ball? What really matters is whether or not being able to run the ball contributes to/causes teams to be more successful.
  10. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,915 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I agree with you on the fact that we have top 10 QB and a very good passing offense already.

That's why I think for this offense to get better overall is if we make it a higher priority to improve our run game (ranked 31st) more so then to make our passing game better.

If we can do both, that's great but since we are talking about prioritizing what is needed, I feel run game needs to be improved before we even think about improving the passing game.
  11. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,915 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Who did you think had the better passing game on Sunday?

Cowboys or the Redskins?
  12. percyhoward

8,670 Messages
    2,801 Likes Received
    If you can have it by doing it, then doing it contributed to having it.
  13. percyhoward

8,670 Messages
    2,801 Likes Received
    If you're looking only at the offense, yes.

The whole team gets better overall if we make it high priority to improve our 29-ranked pass defense as well as our 31st-ranked running game.
  14. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,915 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I'm glad you mentioned Elway because I was thinking the same thing.

BTW, the top 3 passing offenses (NO, Detroit, and Dallas) in the league didn't even make the playoffs.

Also those same 3 teams are ranked in the bottom 1/3 in run offense

Run yardage ranking:
    (Detroit (23), NO (25), and Cowboys(31) )

Run attempts ranking:
    (Detroit (25), NO (29), and Cowboys(31) )
  15. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,915 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Maybe I'm missing something here but according to NFL.com our pass defense is ranked 19th.
  16. percyhoward

8,670 Messages
    2,801 Likes Received
    That's yards.

Teams didn't attempt many passes against us, or the yardage total would have been much worse. We were 27th in yards per attempt allowed.

And that gets to the key stat, which is defensive passer rating (which includes yards per attempt, TD, and INT) where we were 29th. This is a big indicator of success, or lack of it.
  17. AdamJT13

15,068 Messages
    661 Likes Received
    Do you really need to ask that question?

How many different ways are there for the offense to score?
  18. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,915 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Gotcha.
  19. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,571 Messages
    1,175 Likes Received
    Yep.

I just don't know if Jason Garrett is committed to the run. He's kind of like Andy Reid.

I'm convinced if Andy Reid had committed more to the run, the Eagles would probably have seen more than one Super Bowl under his tenure.
  20. AdamJT13

15,068 Messages
    661 Likes Received
    The Redskins' passing game was much better than ours on Sunday (4.58 ANYPA to our 1.18), which is the reason they won the game. Our passing game was abysmal.