1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Off the wall - future thoughts

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Tobal, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

1,988 Messages
    63 Likes Received
    We could very well lose Spencer, jenkins and Felix next yr. All of these guys would likely be compensated, assuming we don't sign anyone of note we could have 3 really nice comp picks in 2014.

Is there anyway the team considers this in FA and planning?
  2. DEZBRYANT x88x

DEZBRYANT x88x Caps8Cowboys41

2,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Im sure they go over all of the possible scenarios, this being one of them.
  3. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,407 Messages
    1,221 Likes Received
    I would think that it's very much a part of their evaluation process.

I believe that this will be Mike Jenkins' last year in a Cowboys uniform. I just don't think he's 'their kind of guy', couple that with the going rate for free agent cornerbacks - which they have already paid to Carr - and I don't see him back in 2013.

That said, as I show in my own mock, I think cornerback will be a pretty high priority for the future.

And I very much think it will be Spencer's last year as well and would definitely anticipate a future replacement being drafted.

I can envison Felix coming back at a reasonable price if the market doesn't provide a better-paying alternative, but if not I can definitely see a late round draft pick used at that spot.

I think that more than anything, these possible future departures factor greatly into the draft process.
  4. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,176 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    Jenkins is replaced by Casey Haywood.

Spencer with our 1st rounder next year.

Felix. Any RB after the 3rd round this year or next or in FA. Nice guy, can't count on him. RB's are a dime a dozen.

Not worried about replacing any of these guys.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,496 Messages
    5,235 Likes Received
    We'll draft a dime-CB high, and another in the middle-later rounds to insure against Jenkins leaving. Backup RB is something that can be addressed relatively inexpensively in a middle round this year or next. SOLB is another story, and we'll have to use a high pick there--probably next year's first rounder.
  6. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I'm sure the Cowboys take into consideration who they think they are going to keep and lose long-term when they are making their overall plans. As such, the three players mentioned, above, have surely been talked about.

I would have to agree that Jenkins is likely gone, as I expect he's going to want money similar to what Carr was given. Likewise, I agree that if Felix isn't willing to take a reasonable contract, he'll be in someone else's backfield.

I'm not 100% certain that Spencer won't get a long-term deal, and I don't think the Cowboys have made up their minds about that either. I know that's not a popular thing to say around here, but it is what it is. The fact is that most of what they've said about him has been about how much they like how he plays for them, what he contributes to the defensive scheme, etc. And they did franchise him, showing a willingness to pay him $8.8 mil this year. I think that was partially because they didn't want to create another hole on the team going into the draft, but also because they actually value what he brings to the table.

If a guy they like is available to them that plays that position in this draft, I don't think they hesitate to pull the trigger. If not, I don't think they're going to plan to go into next year's draft needing to replace him. Instead, I think they try to work out a reasonable deal (4-year extension, averaging $6-7 mil per year and with escalator clauses that allow them to dump the deal after the first couple of years, if they choose) between now and the start of the regular season. I don't know if the firestorm that signing would create on these forums would eclipse what might happen if Brockers is our pick at #14, but it would be close.

One more thing...I don't think they plan to have compensatory picks for guys who leave. The formula that is used to determine who gets them and who doesn't has a number of moving parts, including how much they sign for elsewhere, production, etc. But it essentially comes down to comparing the quality of free agents you lose versus the quality of those you bring in. Since the Cowboys likely have very little idea who they might target in free agency next year, they'd have very little idea of whether they'd get any comp picks at all.