1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Offensive lineman rankings...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by MichaelWinicki, Nov 13, 2012.

1. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,029 Messages
    1,125 Likes Received
    Most of PFF's rankings are terrible. But literally none are worse than their O-line rankings.

Sigh.

I particularly like that they scored the Atlanta game as one of Bernadeau's best games of the season. Amazing, really, that they're this bad at doing ... anything.
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,598 Messages
    3,133 Likes Received
    Well they are one of the few rating services we have access too.

If anyone has an alternate rating for the Cowboy's linemen I would think most of us would appreciate seeing them.
  3. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,107 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    For better or worse, they are the only service that ranks all the players in the NFL like this. It's certainly not ideal, however, I don't perceive anti-Cowboys bias in PFF.
  4. theogt

44,029 Messages
    1,125 Likes Received
    There's a reason no one else ranks individual O-linemen.
  5. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Without looking, Diogenes had them ranked:

1) Livings
    2) Cook
    3) Smith
    4) Bernadeau
    5) Free

I'd say PFF is pretty damn accurate. :)
  6. MichaelWinicki

32,598 Messages
    3,133 Likes Received
    Well what do you do?

Just throw up your hands and basically rate everyone as either good or bad with nothing in between?
  7. ykc

ykc Active Member

600 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    Do anyone who who is our college and pro OL scout for the last 10-15 years?
    I am sure there is lot of HC/GM involvement in drafting and signing OL but they need a new voice/approach to how they are planning to build OL into the future. Their current approach is not working, cannot draft good OL in lower rounds and develop them, cannot identify good OL free agents...
  8. theogt

44,029 Messages
    1,125 Likes Received
    Watch the game and make my own judgment? I certainly don't rely on laughably flawed rankings like this.
  9. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,596 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    It isn't a bias so much as a completely faulty premise that you can evaluate line play accurately without knowing assignments, etc. One guy's whiff often ends up getting another guy blamed in this system
  10. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

6,058 Messages
    982 Likes Received

Thanks for posting, do you have run blocking + penalty stats as well? Thanks.
  11. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Cutting him will create 8.35M in dead money, so says Spotrac.

Basically the team frees up 2.8M by cutting him without spreading the remaining money over two years.

They save all 7M of that base money if they spread the cap hit out but then they still have dead money on the books for 2014.

I'm not sure he's gone.
  12. MichaelWinicki

32,598 Messages
    3,133 Likes Received
    And you've yet to share your rankings with the rest of us.
  13. theogt

44,029 Messages
    1,125 Likes Received
    Well, that's exactly what I'm saying. It's impossible.
  14. garrett316

garrett316 5 against 1 Zone Supporter

2,599 Messages
    326 Likes Received
    FWIW - Broaddus likes the way Free has played the last 3-4 weeks.
  15. MichaelWinicki

32,598 Messages
    3,133 Likes Received
    The overall rankings include all three phases... pass blocking, run blocking and penalties.
  16. MichaelWinicki

32,598 Messages
    3,133 Likes Received
    Oh-kay.
  17. perrykemp

6,107 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    I totally agree it's an very imperfect system and I also agree of all the positions, OL is probably the most subjective.

Having said that I believe they are applying the same system to evaluate players at the same position across the league.
  18. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    I don't agree with PFF's rankings either and it's hard to evaluate individual OL performance because of varying factors like:

QB play, WR, play, protection schemes.

I do like that PFF is using recording AVG times in the pocket though. That's a new feature that they can improve on.
  19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,530 Messages
    1,796 Likes Received
    Well, he's definitely been better....that's not saying a ton. But he's less noticeable anyways.
  20. perrykemp

6,107 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    More people are using their data. The media is routinely quoting their detailed data. More folks like us are subscribing to the data.

What this means is their subscription base is going up and therefore their revenues. It also means that is highly likely that with that additional revenue stream that are trying to improve the product.

I think they are getting better. It also think its far from perfect. I'm at the point I'm not willing to throw away all what PFF says in all instances like some on this board tend to do.

I also notice then when the PFF stats indicate that a Cowboy is playing well or ranks high, we hear very little grumbling.... funny how that is.