1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Offensive Slow Starts - What Can Be Done?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TheFinisher, Feb 11, 2013.

1. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,291 Messages
    433 Likes Received
    http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/1st-half-points-per-game

Our offense was notorious for slow starts this season, usually not coming alive until the 2nd half when we went to more of a hurry up look playing catch up. This needs to change. Hopefully Callahan being more involved with the weekly game plans and play calling can help make that unit more efficient, as will the continued rebuilding of this oline to kickstart the running game... But what else do we need to do to fix this issue? Is this a philosophical problem within our offensive scheme? Are we failing to use our players to their strengths? We know we have a lot of talent on offense and shouldn't be near the bottom of the league in 1st half production, what needs to change?
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

9,948 Messages
    2,837 Likes Received
    Fix the Offensive Line.
  3. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,326 Messages
    3,193 Likes Received
    Turnover that shorten the field would be a good start...

Better recognition of what the other team was doing. There were a couple quotes last year where it was said, it took awhile for them to figure out what the other team was doing.

Actually score TDs in the red zone. This team performs alot differently when they score first and score TDs.
  4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,801 Messages
    1,605 Likes Received
    Doesn't exactly explain how Dallas is 3rd in 2nd half points.
  5. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    it actually does, when you cant run the ball and execute your game plan in the first half you spend the second half pass happy, playing catch up
  6. Bane

Bane New Member

25 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Run less long developing pass plays, run the ball more, and not snapping the ball with one second left on the play clock every frickin play would be a nice start....
  7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,575 Messages
    303 Likes Received
    Change the play caller?
  8. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,587 Messages
    440 Likes Received
    Rom0 had a 76.9 rating on his first 10 throws in 2012 with 4 TDs and 7 interceptions.

It increased to 82.8 on his next 10 with 5 and 4. 107.6 on his next 10 with 8 and 3. And 95.0 with 11 and 5 on any attempts over 30.

Although some of that is a reflection on Romo, It's also a product of not being able to establish the run, the quarterback and receivers not being on the same page, the line not protecting well, etc.

What changes, I believe, is Romo eventually sees how the protection is going to hold up, sees that the running game isn't working, talks to his receivers about the patterns they're running, etc., and compensates for it. Sometimes the play-calling changes, but the main change I see is in Romo's play.
  9. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,803 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Nothing....

It will continue to happen, and we all just have to accept and like it.
  10. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,112 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    Bingo!!!! We have a winner!!!!
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,768 Messages
    3,758 Likes Received
    We script our first 15 plays like many teams in the league, so, to the extent we're slow starting, it's usually execution errors that derail long drives and limitations with the red zone offense that hurt us early. 15 plays can take you well into the second quarter when you're coughing up possessions do to inopportune penalties and bad route adjustments early in the game.

We happen to have a QB and an offensive team that's pretty good at making adjustments. Romo eventually gets the receivers into the matchups he wants, and the offense starts clicking. Shudder. There are things we do consistently well offensively.

Adding better pass protection from the OTs will help Romo get enough time to take better advantage of matchups early. Another second makes a big difference as we've got the players who can win their one-on-ones if we have the time to throw it to them. Running efficiently in the red zone to extend drives and even score from outside the ten yard line would make things easier, too. Turnovers early on their side of the field every now and then would be a godsend.

Blaming the play calling early and pretending what changes is that the game plan goes out the window after the second quarter week after week is an agenda in search of a possible explanation. How long do people actually think Garrett could maintain the support of his players on offense if this were actually happening week after week after week? It's an absurd thing to pretend to believe, in my opinion.
  12. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

2,610 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    add a professional qb
  13. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,177 Messages
    591 Likes Received
    So, in his first 20 throws, Romo had a rating under 80 with a ratio of 9 tds to 11 ints? Yeah, lets lock him up long term!!:bang2:
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,968 Messages
    1,223 Likes Received
    no blame for the HC who scripts the plays that start the game? And almost always has to change them?

To me that is one area that screams for change. When you have slow start after slow start it is CLEAR that the person coming up with the game plan SUCKS.
  15. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,589 Messages
    609 Likes Received
    This.

The offense has gotten turnovers early on and still gets out to slow starts. Too much of a 'wait and see' approach by Garrett since he's been here. Even in 2007 we didn't score much until midway thru the second quarter and then turned it on in the 3rd quarter.

YR
  16. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And establish a running game.

Teams have offensive success when even the threat of a run keeps defenses honest, making it easier for offenses to run or pass.

This leads to more convertible third down situations (I.e. third and five or shorter) where offenses who can run or pass have an advantage.

This will lead to more converted first downs and will keep drives alive. That means more chances to score, or at least establish a field position advantage if you end up punting.
  17. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,863 Messages
    577 Likes Received
    I put 99% of this on Garrett. He is married to his script, etc. I say you come out in the hurry up here and there. Maybe do it every other series and try to get the other team on its heals. I wrote a lot about this yesterday and how it is one thing that really bothers me about Garrett. Yeah they play well in the 4th but the first 3 quarters they are lost and in a big hole.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...-garrett-role-taking-away-play-calling-duties

So overall you have to try and get into a rhythm quicker and to do that I think the hurry up would work and get guys involved early. If you want to establish the run after you've put the D on their heals or tired them out a little, go for it. But Garrett's issue was trying to stick to the script..robotic..and only go off script when the game was out of hand.
  18. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,335 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    the idea of a script is to show different formations and plays, and determine how the defense is going to react to them. the whole concept is to determine your overall game plan by what the defense does.
    that said in order to really understand the slow starts you would have to evaluate each drive and see what went wrong.
    many things are needed to make the offense more successful. we need a better oline so we can run the ball and protect the qb. we need to cut down on penalties which put you behind the chains. but to me the most important factor is being more efficient in the red zone. fixing the oline will help that alot.
  19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,647 Messages
    1,114 Likes Received
    No huddle, no huddle, no huddle!

Get Tony into it right away. He's almost as responsible for the slow starts as Red, imo.

In today's game, you can not afford to waste downs by having scripted plays. Get into the action early.
  20. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,335 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    we run just as many long developing plays in the 2nd half as the first and the snap count remains the same. that does'nt explain the slow starts at all.
    the biggest difference early in games to late is the fact we run more no huddle which is something i think really fits romo well and we should do more of