1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Official 8-18 PC Thread--Parcells is concerned about the QB position...

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by MichaelWinicki, Aug 18, 2005.

1. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,101 Messages
    2,741 Likes Received
    Interesting tidbit today from the press conference. Bill was asked what positions he was pleased with and which he had more questions about. He mentioned the QB position as being one of those needs to be more consistent.

That doesn't speak highly of any of the QB's on the roster in my opinion...

Bledsoe, Romo and Henson.

That could be a real problem area for us this season.
  2. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,040 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    That's quite a revelation good sir.
  3. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,556 Messages
    746 Likes Received
    This is really nothing new. We've needed consistancy since 1999. But this is what training camp and preseason games are for. To see the inconsistancy, and get better each day.
  4. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,615 Messages
    4,885 Likes Received
    You really think so?

Call this man Norstradamus.
  5. MichaelWinicki

32,101 Messages
    2,741 Likes Received

Alexander I liked you up until now. :D
  6. MichaelWinicki

32,101 Messages
    2,741 Likes Received
    Can you imagine any coach saying that about Aikman when he was on the roster outside his first couple years in the league?

I can't.
  7. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,115 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    This tells me that Bill really doesn't see much of a difference between all 3 QBs. Which is bad for Bledsoe, and bad for Bill because I know he doesn't really want to play the other two QBs yet.
  8. ykc

ykc Active Member

598 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    It's funny if you recall how some Chad/Quicy supporters are comparing them to the first few years of Aikman's career and trying to prove that they both are much better than Aikman
  9. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    No roster moves. Not much injury news. Shouldn’t be too much longer on a couple of them.

I don’t think Rogers is going to play. I really don’t know how he’s doing with his injury, there might be some surgery involved there. For his sake, I guess he needs to get it cleaned up. I don’t know what he can do, because he hasn’t had any game experience or exposure. The first week of camp is a lot different from playing in games and those kind of things. We’ll see where it is, and as soon as I get an answer for you I’ll let you know. I couldn’t keep him in the mix as a potential RT until he gets on the field, so I got to go forward. I haven’t been told conclusively what’s wrong with him.

Rivera plays on Saturday?
    He could play but it’s a matter if we think if it’s prudent to play him. I don’t want to put him out there and have him back on the bike three days later.

Linebacker evaluation, especially outside?

We have three young players and Singleton. I’ve seen some positive things. The inside looks deeper than the outside right now. We got experience there and the guys look to be coming along. I do have concern about the outside, depth and experience. Inside, you got Shanle and Bradie and O’Niel in their 3rd year. Flower in his 2nd year. Dat is experienced. 3 of the 4 outside guys are rookies.

Does that effect your ability to play 3-4?
    Yeah, absolutely.

Heat benefits from Dallas to Oxnard?
    You can get more work done without the problems on a daily basis with dehydration and cramping. Coincidentally, the concern is it’s a little too cool in the morning, so you have to warm them up longer. But you can get more done, stay on the field longer and have less durress on the body. We really haven’t had any injuries related to cramping and dehydration like hamstrings and stuff. I don’t think it will be too hard to go back to practice in Dallas. Most of the two a days are over, so the exposre to the heat is more gradual.

Who starts at center on Monday?
    We havent’ talked about personnel, but I think Al Johnson will start.

Cratyon?
    The game never seems too big for him in regards to performance. Now understanding concepts, he was like any other rookie last year. Actually, coming from a small school he was probably further behind. He has matured quite a bit as a player, and he really has much more of a professional attitude now than some of the other 2nd year guys. He seems to be into knowing what to do and trying to do it. He’s a very good blocker. Very physical. I didn’t really mean to put a label on Crayton or Morgan yesterday, but Crayton has a little more versatility right now and as a 3rd WR might bring more to the table. I don’t think he’s going to regress at this point. He’s a little like Mark Ingram that I had with the Giants. Something along those lines. Physically, he reminds me of Hines Ward. I’m not saying he’s Hines Ward, now. Okay? He just kind of looks like him and played QB in college, but that comparison stops there. He’s kind of like a street player, just came in and started playing last year. In college he did a lot of different things. QB, running the ball, returning.

With the practices in camp being more physical, do you have guys who have risen to the challenge?
    I think having some staying power, particularly young players, is a characteristic that I have always considered very important. Guys I’ve coached with has always felt that was an important factor. Its not just the physical endurance, but mentally enduring the grind that allows a player to continually improve. Not being able to endure it you get sporadic and inconsistant results. Yeah, I have some of those guys. When we make the cuts and put the team on the field, you’ll see it. I’ll take it into consideration. Two kids that impressed me with toughness, I don’t know they’ll make the team, but kids who have slugged it out every day are Chris Van Hoy and Matt Turrulllo. Kalen Thornton does that too. He’s got a knee condition, but he slugs it out every day as best he can.

Eliminating negative runs, how do you accomplish that?
    They are a very strong deterant to moving the ball consistently. If you’re adding runs to loss with sacks and continually have them, the chances of being successful are minimized. I think there are 2 or 3 ways to reduce them. School your backs on knowing when the journey is over, so to speak. And not turning a bad run into a really bad run. Julius has improved on that. Your play selection can help you a little bit there. Quick hitting stuff, if you have physical ability inside. And playing to get the 3rd down yardage to get a more workable conversion rate.

Vincent Brown working with the players?
    Vincent Brown is working with the inside linebackers. These former players have a knowledge of what to do. He is a high school coach in Georgia. He has a good way of explaining things, I think he would be a fine professional coach very quickly in this league. He’s an impressive person if you talk to him. Hes an engaging guy. Same with Lewis Tillman with the RB’s. Lewis is very good for MBIII and Thompson. He was drafted in the middle to late rounds, an underdog to be a top quality runner in the NFL. Had to make his way onto the team through special teams. He was a subordinate but important role on the team. He tells them “There’s a good chance you won’t be the main guy here, so how can you enhance your value?” He came into the league the same year as Meggett, so I had two RB’s make the team when I really didn’t need a starter.

Know about the Corteex body sensor the Vikings are using.
    Can’t say I am.

It measures body temperture to warn against heat stroke.
    I can’t say Im familiar with it, but I would look into any way to keep the players safe.

AT this point in August, how good or disappointing do you think this team can be?
    I can’t answer that honestly at this minute. I don’t really know. I could gain a sense that we can be substantially improved in some areas, but there are a couple of things that concern me that might hold us back.

What would be those things?
    I think at the CB position we are improved. I have uncertainty about the S position. Depth about the LB position. The continuity of the OL. I have to see more from the QB position too. Now that’s really a combination of getting the running game, play action, WR’s … an entire coordination of stuff. We are at the tail end of the installation. We have it all in, but its not perfected. So the next 3 weeks, we’re not teaching them anything new but we’re tyring to do a better job with what we have. That’s where we are. I talked to a nother HC in the league and he won his first game, and I said “I’m glad you got a win there”, and he said “Yeah, but we played awfull”. We’re all in the same boat now. We’re all playing young players. But being at the end of the installation is a bit of a relief.

What about the QB?
    I just need consistency from the position. Take it for what I said, not what you think is a good story. We need to get the offense coordinated, that includes the QB, the WR, the OL and the running game. We’re just installing so much earlier, but now is the time to refine.

Are you talking your backups or starting QB?
    I wish I never said it now. I’m talking about the whole unit. I’m looking for improvement in a lot of areas, and QB is one of them .. period.

So what are you looking for Bledsoe?
    I didn’t say anybody’s name, I said the entire position. I want to see the grasp of the concepts, the principles and the execution. We’ve been piecemeal up to this point. Only yesterday did I start trying to polish.

Game plan Seattle?
    I’ll give them just a slight more than I did with AZ. We didn’t spend anytime on Az. And we play Seattle and Arizona in the season, we’re not laying out the whole deal here.

JJ likes to run a single back set. Does that figure into the FB psoiton?
    I think wehthr it was a TE or FB oriented offense, it wouldn’t make a difference. He’s used to having a lead blocker, but not always it could be a TE or FB. I would say its fair to say he’s better in single back.

Pierce
    Plays special team,s makes catches. Needs to improve blocking. He cold be a emergency snapper.

Surprised he was such a good catcher?
    I had an idea. After Dan got hurt, he was around last year.

Carson?
    Only played 7 plays against AZ. Same as Rivera as far as outlook for Monday, we’ll see.

So with Thomas Johnson at end now, is he just a NG now?
    Yes.

Bledsoe with NE?
    I would say he’s a grown man now. He’s much different than a 20 year old. He has 4 children now. He’s attitude and maturity has gone a long way. Much more experienced and knows more about the game. I communicate with him on a much different level.

McBriar, let him kick away?
    I’m all for it, its DeHeaven I have to work on. There’s two sides to that pancake, and Bruce is quick to remind me of the 2nd one.

Condo deep snapping last week?
    He did okay. Robinson will snap some this week, and so will Condo.

Newman as PR?
    Ill give him a couple in the preseason, probably not this game but some where down the road. Right now I’m focusing on the new guys.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,879 Messages
    4,223 Likes Received

:laugh2: I see winicki's finger hovering over the infamous ban button. :p:
  11. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The day we draft a young QB high in the draft and groom him is the day Tuna is no longer at Valley Ranch. As for Crayton, if he morphs into K-Mart or Kevin Williams, I'll be very happy indeed.
  12. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,836 Messages
    1,182 Likes Received
    We have two inexperienced backups... that doesn't worry you?
  13. MichaelWinicki

32,101 Messages
    2,741 Likes Received

So evil... yet so true! LOL!
  14. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,664 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    What about the QB?
    I just need consistency from the position. Take it for what I said, not what you think is a good story. We need to get the offense coordinated, that includes the QB, the WR, the OL and the running game. We’re just installing so much earlier, but now is the time to refine.

Are you talking your backups or starting QB?
    I wish I never said it now. I’m talking about the whole unit. I’m looking for improvement in a lot of areas, and QB is one of them .. period.

So what are you looking for Bledsoe?
    I didn’t say anybody’s name, I said the entire position. I want to see the grasp of the concepts, the principles and the execution. We’ve been piecemeal up to this point. Only yesterday did I start trying to polish.

Oh heck, This board is going to "spin" out of control after those quotes..... Let the speculation begin... :banghead: :banghead:
  15. Mike 1967

Mike 1967 New Member

2,771 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Based on Parcells recent history of making excuses for Vinny.....this actually speaks volume in my opinion.
  16. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,087 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    Did we really expect Bledsoe to come in here and be consistent every day with a team he has never played with before??

That is a little much to asked 2 weeks into TC i think. Not a Bledsoe apologist at all, I just think that is a little much to expect- It is going to take a few weeks
  17. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Yeah, the press jumped all over that QB comment didn't they, Mike? You know there will be stories about it tomorrow. Like Parcells said, he wishes he'd never said that. :laugh2:

Although he tried to say that it was "the entire position" and "I didn't name any names", I did feel like he had Bledsoe in mind.

But on the press conference, I liked the part about the young players slugging it out and staying tough through every single practice. Bodes well for Van Hoy and Tarullo.
  18. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,235 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    You are very correct.....with all of the excuses that he made for VT last year, this does speak volumes.
  19. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,000 Messages
    5,482 Likes Received
    Thanks for the recap, Roshi.
  20. ndanger

ndanger Active Member

2,298 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Ouch! Man that had to cut deep!