1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter: Official: Anthony Spencer out for rest of season - 09/24/13

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 24, 2013.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,022 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    Sounds like they knew about this since April. It's September and now he is getting surgery lol.
    StarBoyz83 likes this.
  2. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,902 Messages
    1,368 Likes Received
    The only thing good about this whole deal is that Dallas didn't screw up and give him a long term contract. Now they can simply let him walk after the year and draft his replacement(s) along with keeping Selvie.
  3. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,039 Messages
    1,082 Likes Received
    You have to feel bad for Spencer too. He lost out on a big, long term contract with some team.
  4. al124

al124 Member

130 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Would've loved to see him contribute but oh well. Selvie probably would've taken more snaps anyway.

Moving on..
  5. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,022 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    I'll get over this real quick if we can get a productive Jay Ratliff in a few weeks.

Good thing we got a player like Selvie too.
  6. Smith22

Smith22 Well-Known Member

5,845 Messages
    267 Likes Received
    He has been paid quite well the past 2 seasons, but yeah, he just lost A LOT of money.
  7. Smith22

5,845 Messages
    267 Likes Received
    I know plenty of people are down on Ratliff, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he can return and play his part in the rotation. Not surprised at all that Spencer is done. I hope things turn around for him.
  8. Howboutdemcowboys31

Howboutdemcowboys31 Well-Known Member

1,142 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    I liked Spencer and he was really good against the run and getting "close" to the qb. However, 33 sacks in 6 seasons just didn't get it done (im not including this season)
  9. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,102 Messages
    1,299 Likes Received
    Their should be a rule that we get a free year out of him.
  10. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,022 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received

It's just funny how these little minor injuries in Dallas turn into the big huge episodes.

Someone at Valley Ranch needs to be fired because of this. Our medical staff seems pretty clueless with how to deal with injuries.

How on earth is Jay Ratliff not ready? How on earth did we not make Spencer get this surgery back in April?
  11. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,839 Messages
    2,325 Likes Received

i guess you havent heard of other things in business like

planning ahead
    being proactive
    having a back-up plan
    evaluating decisions objectively (and not constantly making excuses)
    learning from one's mistakes

and on and on

well.... at least you learned one thing

Average players (like spencer) should not be franchised once, let alone twice
    Poorly run front offices that dont know what they are doing do this
  12. EMMITTnROY

EMMITTnROY Well-Known Member

2,493 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    He had 11 sacks last year, and he was very good against the run. Selvie has been playing great, as has the rest of the defensive linemen.. but this is still a huge bummer. Spencer was a good player. We can still excel without him, but I'm surprised everyone is so ho-hum about his contributions.

Now, I'll say that if we don't get Ratliff back this season, that will be a bigger blow. He could really dominate in this defense.
  13. Smith22

5,845 Messages
    267 Likes Received
    Yeah, it seems pretty difficult to trust any medical diagnosis provided by our medical staff.

Pretty strange how minor injuries/surgeries turn into long, drawn out absences.
  14. movaughn88

movaughn88 Active Member

124 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Not that it will make any of us (or the cap) feel any better, but I bet the team had some kind of insurance policy on him, I think you are right they had suspicions. Jerry will get some money back.

I prefer to look on bright side that we didn't give him a huge contract. Look around league of big injuries in the first year of big contracts (Harvin, Clady, etc.) it's just bad luck and now the books will be clean next year. Maybe they sign him to a very incentive-laden low guarantee deal next year.
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,503 Messages
    9,657 Likes Received
    A lot of people wanted to. They were falling over themselves to add another bad contract to the team.
  16. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,527 Messages
    210 Likes Received
    I doubt Spencer plays for the Cowboys again.
  17. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,839 Messages
    2,325 Likes Received
    you do realize that we are talking about bennett instead of franchising spencer so we would have both bennett AND selvie for less than half the cost, right?

another concept important in business and law would be "value" or "cost effectiveness"
  18. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,130 Messages
    6,913 Likes Received
  19. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,524 Messages
    1,063 Likes Received
    You have no idea what you're talking about.
  20. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

5,043 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    The positive in all this is that he was limited in pre-season, so George Selvie had nearly a full pre-season with the starters, has played with the starters and is doing better than I think anybody expected.

I hope Selvie's production inspires the other guys to try harder and be ready should they have to be pressed into a starting job.