1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Official Cowboys Playoff Scenarios

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by JoeyBoy718, Dec 23, 2012.

1. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,922 Messages
    1,504 Likes Received
  2. tayloner182

tayloner182 Active Member

255 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Cowboys can't win the wildcard, only the division. Giants need to lose to the Ravens or Eagles and we need to beat the Redskins next week. That's our only way in.
  3. JoeyBoy718

3,922 Messages
    1,504 Likes Received
    Check the source. Here's what it says:

"Can clinch the #6 seed with either:

(a) Win vs Redskins, plus Cardinals beat Bears, plus Vikings beat Texans, plus Vikings loss to Packers
    (b) Win vs Redskins, plus Vikings beat Texans, plus Vikings loss to Packers, plus Bears loss to Lions"

The Vikings beat the Texans today, so if they lose to the Packers in Week 17 and Bears lose 1 of their next 2, the Cowboys would win the Wildcard. Maybe the source isn't legit, but it looks pretty extensive. I doubt they would go to those lengths for inaccurate information.

Plus the guys on TV today were saying Cowboys can still win the Wildcard.
  4. JoeyBoy718

3,922 Messages
    1,504 Likes Received
    Yet again I don't know how legit that source is. Looking at the NFL tie-breaking procedures and the expanded standings, the Redskins would have the same division record but a better conference record (7-5 vs 6-6) so I would think the Redskins would win. I don't know. That source seems off.
  5. VietCowboy

VietCowboy Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.

2,918 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    against the redskins, I thought it would go to common game before conference
  6. pjtoadie

pjtoadie Cleveland's #1 Cowboys fan

1,937 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    I ran it through the ESPN playoff machine and we will get a wildcard if the above scenarios happen. This is if the Giants win both of their games and win the division.
  7. pjtoadie

1,937 Messages
    489 Likes Received
  8. JoeyBoy718

3,922 Messages
    1,504 Likes Received
    That's good. I guess the source is legit. NFL.com's tie-breaking procedures says conference standings come before common games. If Cowboys beat the Skins, they would split the head to head, both be 4-2 in the division, and the Skins would have a better record in the conference. But for some reason Dallas would still get the #6 seed. I don't know why but I'm happy with it.
  9. garrett316

garrett316 5 against 1 Zone Supporter

2,509 Messages
    247 Likes Received
    The giants need to lose 1 game and we are in. Because we are beating the redskins next week. I believe the 3 way tiebreak if all 3 NFC east teams finish 9-7 would be this: giants lose out with 3 division losses. Cowboys and skins would have 2. Next tie break would be common opponents in which we beat skins @ 9-5 to 8-6.
  10. Lazyking

Lazyking Active Member

700 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    The scenarios are correct. I'd rather the Ravens win and there be no doubt about a win and in scenario. I don't think the Vikings will lose next week.. Bears more likely.
  11. Lazyking

Lazyking Active Member

700 Messages
    72 Likes Received

that's because there would be more then two teams at 9-7 if the giants were to win out.. wildcard is decided differently.
  12. JoeyBoy718

3,922 Messages
    1,504 Likes Received
    So us going 3-1 against the AFC North may really pay off.
  13. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    If the Giants win both games and we beat the Skins we can still make the playoffs.

If the Packers beat the Vikes and the Lions beat the Bears We are in as the 6th seed.
    If the Ravens beat the Giants and they very well look like they could it's a win and in scenario for us.
  14. pjtoadie

1,937 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    Baltimore now up 24-7 :)
  15. JoeyBoy718

3,922 Messages
    1,504 Likes Received
    Ravens are romping the Giants at the moment 24-7 nearing the end of the 1st half.
  16. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Why not take a shot deep with 3 seconds left when you are on the 50?
  17. JoeyBoy718

3,922 Messages
    1,504 Likes Received
    Here's what I'm questioning the legitimacy of that source: apparently the Redskins have the same exact scenario to make the #6 seed.

(h) Win vs Eagles, plus Vikings loss to Packers, plus Bears loss to Cardinals
    (i) Win vs Eagles, plus Vikings loss to Packers, plus Bears loss to Lions

That would mean that if the Giants win the division and the Cowboys beat the Redskins, the Cowboys AND Redskins would both make the 6 seed if Vikings lost to the Packers and Beats lost one of their final two games. Something doesn't add up.......
  18. Lazyking

Lazyking Active Member

700 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    They're forgetting common games I think. I've done it in playoff machine and the cowboys would be in.
  19. pjtoadie

1,937 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    Didn't you see my link? If we beat the Redskins, plus Vikings and Bears lose next week then we get the 6th seed if the Giants win the division.
  20. JoeyBoy718

3,922 Messages
    1,504 Likes Received
    Yeah I know it's right. I'm just confused by the logic of that source I posted. The guy, John Morgan, has the same scenario for the Cowboys and Redskins winning the #6 seed.