1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Official Damn Nature, You Scary Thread

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by rkell87, Mar 1, 2012.

1. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,350 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    Blanket Octopus
    [IMG]
    hunts and dismembers Portuguese man o' wars so he can whip creatures with the tentacles.....for fun

Tarantula Hawk
    [IMG]
    hunts tarantulas to use as baby food

Tentacled Sea Snakes
    [youtube]urBp2X5mBmQ[/youtube]
    skip to 1 minute.

uses fishes automatic flight response against them getting them to swim right into its mouth

Zombie Bug(tree weta)
    [IMG]
    has a special protein in their blood that prevents water from freezing, allowing them to go into a deep freeze and still have their blood flowing when they wake back up, their brains and hearts actually completely die when frozen, then somehow recover good as new when thawed out.

Viperfish
    [IMG]
    those fangs are clear, so none of its prey can see them coming, and lures smaller fish with a fake light 5,000 feet below the surface

Gulper Eel
    [IMG]
    Gulper eels live as far down as 10,000 feet below the surface, can swallow larger fish whole. They lack many parts that normal fish enjoy, like many major bones, a swim bladder, scales, sacrificing all those things for the ability to consume anything that swims by them. They also have a bioluminescent organ on their tails to attract prey

Scorpionfly
    [IMG]
    nuff said

Darwin's bark spider
    [IMG]
    webbing is 10 times stronger than Kevlar and a whopping 25 times stronger than steel. Oh, and it also easily beats out titanium, tungsten
    [IMG]
  2. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The fish is smaller than a dollar bill. There are far nastier things closer to the surface to worry about than them. The bugs need to meet Mr. Remington 1100 with 2/4 duck loads.

Damn Nature, you dead!
  3. rkell87

7,350 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  4. rkell87

7,350 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    BTW the tarantula hawk has the second most painful sting in the world
  5. SaltwaterServr

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Gunshot ant being the first?
  6. rkell87

7,350 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    bullet ant
  7. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  8. rkell87

7,350 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    Box Jellyfish
    [IMG]
    can kill you within 4 minutes without antidote

Brazilian Wandering Spider
    [IMG]

one of the most aggressive spiders in the world, Every bite is twice as potent as the black widow's--will result in excruciating pain. This is due to the fact that, aside from the neurotoxin, their bites contain high levels of serotonin. While the neurotoxin is busy shutting down your primary functions, that serotonin is heading straight for your brain. Once there, it'll cause intense tremors throughout your body and incredible pain.

Deathstalker
    [IMG]
    six different fast-acting neurotoxins from a deathstalker is meant to completely immobilize its prey, It causes several deaths annually. If you're a healthy, strapping adult you can probably make it out alive. Kids, the elderly and geek types whose bodies have atrophied from years of video games, won't be so lucky.

Golden Dart Frog
    [IMG]
    "Currently no effective antidote exists for the treatment of batrachotoxin poisoning."
    So unless you're leimadophis epinephelus, a breed of snake that can consume the frogs, you will probably die

Geographic Cone Snail
    [IMG]

fires a cocktail of toxins that are lanced into your body by a harpoon. Cone snails can fire off those harpoons in any direction and they use them to paralyze fish (at which point they then eat them--alive). Fortunately, you're too big for the cone snail to eat. Unfortunately, the toxins still affect you in a terrible way. "Paresthesias of the lips and tongue are followed by sialorrhea, sweating, headache, weakness, lethargy, ataxia, incoordination, tremor, paralysis, cyanosis, aphonia, dysphagia, seizures, dyspnea, bronchorrhea, bronchospasm, respiratory failure, coma, and hypotension. Gastroenteric symptoms are often severe and include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. Cardiac arrhythmias may precede complete respiratory failure and cardiovascular collapse." There is no cure for the cone snail's venom, and treatment is simply based on how long your rescuers can keep you alive

Blue-Ringed Octopus
    [IMG]
    The beak of the golf ball-sized bottom feeder is strong enough to pierce through wetsuit gloves and give the handler a fatal dose of venom. You probably won't feel the toxins, at first. That's only because you'll be completely paralyzed. The venom from these tiny sea creatures is created by the bacteria that live in their air sacs. The deadly cocktail contains ten toxins in all, designed to leave you paralyzed and yet completely aware of your surroundings. If your rescuers realize that you've been bitten by a blue-ringed octopus (whose venom is powerful enough to kill 26 human beings within a couple of minutes), rescue breathing may keep you alive.
    But if no one is aware of what happened, you'll probably just appear dead to the world.
  9. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wouldn't that be like complete ecstasy before you die??
  10. rkell87

7,350 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    Serotonin's presence in insect venoms and plant spines serves to cause pain, which is a side effect of serotonin injection. Serotonin is produced by pathogenic amoebas, and its effect on the gut causes diarrhea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin
  11. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,235 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Interesting stuff here guys
  12. SaltwaterServr

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Instant sterility. Barfs.
  13. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Who are you kidding, you know you'd hit it... :D
  14. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,725 Messages
    143 Likes Received
  15. MC KAos

MC KAos Well-Known Member

7,494 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    and i was scared of the snakes around denton creek! sheesh
  16. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  17. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I'm sure the chances of me ever stumbling across such a thing are next to none, but still these things bother me.

There's a video on Youtube of a giant centipede killing a snake.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  18. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    These talking animals give me nightmares.

[youtube]DAMfTzSWo28&feature[/youtube]
  19. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
  20. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    :lmao2: