1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Official who OK'd Air Force One jet flyover resigns

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by TheCount, May 8, 2009.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,008 Messages
    1,009 Likes Received
    WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Obama has accepted the resignation of Louis Caldera, the director of the White House Military Office responsible for the controversial low-altitude flyover of New York by a 747 plane used as Air Force One, the White House said Friday.

The photo shoot, which President Obama said he was "furious" with, happened on April 27. The image of a low-flying plane accompanied by an F-16 fighter jet sent some New Yorkers into the streets and into a panic -- reminding them of the tragic 9/11 attacks on the city.

Building evacuations also took place across the Hudson River in Jersey City, New Jersey. Read more of Obama's reaction

Caldera later apologized for the flyover.

The White House also released a photo of the flyover and a report on the incident on Friday.

In the report, the White House said Caldera, who had been traveling with President Obama when the flyover plans were initially discussed, did not remember a conversation in which his deputy, George Mulligan, informed him of the flyover.

Caldera did not open an e-mail about final plans for the flyover until after it had happened, the report said, noting Caldera had been suffering from severe muscle spasms and had left the officer early on several days.

Although recommendations by several parties involved in the flyover had been made that White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs and Deputy Chief of Staff Jim Messina be informed of the plans, the report said, that job was left to Caldera, who did not pass the information along.

The flyover, officials said, was a training mission -- it was also a government-sanctioned photo shoot.

Military officials estimate the mission and the photo shoot, aimed at updating file photos of Air Force One -- cost $328,835 in taxpayer money.

But they said "the hours would have been flown regardless, and the expenses would have been accrued on a different mission."

Witnesses reported seeing the plane circle over the Upper New York Bay near the Statue of Liberty before flying up the Hudson River. VideoWatch the plane fly over Manhattan ยป

A YouTube video showed people standing in a parking lot, watching the plane approach. As it nears, they begin to run. "Run, run!" said one person. "Oh my God," cried another.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg was visibly angry last week. "I'm annoyed -- furious is a better word -- that I wasn't told," he said, adding that the decision by the White House Military Office and Federal Aviation Administration to withhold details about the flight were "ridiculous" and "poor judgment."

But according to Air Force Capt. Anna Carpenter, local law enforcement agencies and the FAA had been notified of the exercise.

New York Police Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne confirmed that department had been alerted about the flight "with directives to local authorities not to disclose information about it."
  2. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    But its not a big deal. Why all the hub-bub-bub?

Didn't you say New Yorkers were not at all bothered by this and that it was just being overblown for political purposes?

Hmmmmm

P.S. Before you even say it.....

"What are you even talking about?"
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,008 Messages
    1,009 Likes Received
    I see you went to the Fox School of Conversation Summary.
  4. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,723 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    It really was not a big deal. **** happens.
  5. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Well for not being a big deal...there sure is a **** ton of activity and folks getting into trouble over it.

I kinda thought it was a big deal w/ all the secrecy of not telling anyone and then not allowing those agencies who did know not to inform anyone.

**** happens. That sure is an odd way of spinning this situation.

It's not like it was an accident and well....oops....**** happens. :laugh2:
  6. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,313 Messages
    559 Likes Received

Id like to know what really happened and why all of a sudden this guy is fired. Scapegoat anyone? Or what was he really doing all that for?

Oh well as long as the Count is here to defend it, its all no big deal.
  7. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    :lmao2:
  8. ShiningStar

6,313 Messages
    559 Likes Received

Sure it is, there isnt a big deal because wasting money isnt a huge deal to this administration, they are doling out trillions, whats a 300,000 bill to bring up such a big deal about? get with the program.
  9. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    That's what Caldera should have said.
    It would have really made for a great uproar.
  10. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received

I honestly have to say that the 300k spent did get us one hell of a picture of AF1 and Lady Liberty.

What could you get for 300k. Think we could get more than a fly-by? I bet I could.
  11. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This thread will demonstrate the amount of info some here have about how things are run in the White House.

So far,epic fail Temo.
  12. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I seen photoshops that look better.
  13. ShiningStar

6,313 Messages
    559 Likes Received

For that much, i think i should have gotten some screaming people because its not like anything tragic happened.

But i have to say a 300k well spent as well. And so few people notified and others were told "well, you werent on the need to know file" I loved it.
  14. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received

The Mayor didn't know. :lmao:
  15. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received

I got a better one..."Dude,where's my plane?"​
  16. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,723 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Sure thing, Artie.

Anyway, it's all perspective. Was it acceptable? No. Should we spend the next few week discussing it? I sure as **** hope not.

I suppose I chose the wrong words. I didn't mean to say it was acceptable, or that no one should take the words. I'm just tired of talking about it.

(For reference, I work in NYC, though not near the WTC site. This was a topic of discussion all day that day at my office in Times Square, though.)
  17. ShiningStar

6,313 Messages
    559 Likes Received

Im sure if it was McCAin it would be abuse of power and money all day long.
  18. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,723 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    I don't know, and I don't care, to be honest. It's a dumb thing to argue about.
  19. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,029 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    for 20 bucks I could have done the same shot with photshop and had the eiffel tower there also.
  20. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,856 Messages
    2,507 Likes Received
    Thats a good point Artie, why didnt the Government just photoshop it???

I mean, there are thousands of pics of the Statue of Liberty on the Internet and there are thousands of pics of Air Force One on the Internet as well.

Just merge the two photos and call it a day. Almost any basic photo editing software will allow you to merge, seriously we are talking like a 5 min job at the max.

But no, lets fuel up Air Force One and two jet fighters and blow 300K doing low-level fly bys of the Statue. Whoever the dumb arse was that came up with this idea deserved to be fired/forced resign.