1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Okay, You're John Mara & Tom Coughlin For a Minute

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Hostile, Oct 11, 2013.

1. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,580 Messages
    553 Likes Received
    Yes and Yes. Coughlin doesn't have the tread left for the rebuild and if Bridgewater is available giants should take him and phase Eli out.
  2. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,093 Messages
    1,292 Likes Received
    I would trade Eli. Of course, I wouldn't even have him on my team to begin with.

No need to fire Coughlin. He's just a figurehead coach.
  3. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I think it is viewed with a different litmus test because it is a different situation. The Giants are clearly at the bottom of the division due to a lack of talent. TC is a proven coach, but at his age, he might not want to hang around through a rebuilding process. Eli is a proven QB and if the Giants are not going to blow the whole team up and start over, he should remain the starting QB. There certainly can be a case made that the lack of talent falls on the GM. He has built Super Bowl winning teams recently, so he should be kept, but have a very short leash. I find it hard to compare the situation with the situation that Dallas finds themselves in. The problem with Dallas is a lack of success and unproven people to fix the team.
  4. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

1,586 Messages
    250 Likes Received
    I agree with you...
  5. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,496 Messages
    2,904 Likes Received
    Yea, totally apples to oranges comparison to Dallas
  6. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

6,067 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    That's obviously true, but that wasn't the OP's intention. It is a call out thread to anybody who thought that the Giants / Coughlin/ Manning Jr. were good at some point and now he is challenging those same people to bail on the Giants since they have come on hard times - to falsely illustrate the ephemeral nature of Cowboy fans because they don't display the same support for Jerry / Jason / Tony. Standard operating procedure.

Tony was 1-5 with 7 interceptions and the stadium survived just fine.
    khiladi likes this.
  7. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

3,228 Messages
    2,125 Likes Received
    So Tony had 1 more win and threw less than half the picks.

You also realize that Tony had 11 touchdowns to those 7 interceptions and had a 95 QB rating in those games?

Somehow this is comparable to having 9 touchdowns and 15 interceptions with a 64 qb rating?

Romo was also completing 70% of his passes to Eli's 53%

Were you trying to actually make a legitimate comparison?

If so you failed.

Miserably.
    theogt likes this.
  8. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,626 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    we won the division at 11-5 in 09 then started 1-7 the next year, things snowball quickly.
  9. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,743 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    True but Jerry has kept this team in a steady decline for over 15 years. Reese rebuilt the Giants into two time SB champs in less. I could allow for a few down years to reload again. That's just me though.
    khiladi likes this.
  10. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,977 Messages
    1,534 Likes Received
    no, no....but, for selfish reasons....they both suck right now and I would like to keep the giants that way :D
  11. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

6,067 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    The initial premise is stupid to begin with, everybody here is happy that Eli and more importantly, the Giants are falling apart, but you don't get rid of a coach and a QB that just went 4-0 in the playoffs two seasons ago. Or "burn down the stadium" for that matter.
    slomoxn and khiladi like this.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,858 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received
    this is a point where the owner and GM have to make a decision. Is this temporary- is there enough talent for a good draft and some FA to fix to be competitive again or is it at the point where you are seriously looking at rebuilding.

If you are rebuilding then everything is on the table. Coach, QB, everything.

Now Eli is not that old and should have 3-5 more years in him. BUT Coughlin is getting up there so you have to consider does he have those years needed to redo everything. Would a younger coach with more energy be better if rebuilding? Possibility.
  13. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    Yet, the anti-romo bunch tell us Garrett won more when Romo was benched and Kitna was QB, thus it's Romo's fault...
  14. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    If they end at 8-8, then you may have a point, If they end around 3-13, then not so much.
  15. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    And Wade was fired...
  16. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,048 Messages
    1,083 Likes Received
    No to Eli. He's still a very good QB who's playing on a bad team. Unlike some posters believe, the NFL is not a one man game. It takes a team good on defense, special teams, offense and coaching to win.
    5Stars likes this.
  17. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,048 Messages
    1,083 Likes Received
    Very true. And the haters would be kicked back and smoking a cigarrette.
  18. hutch1254

hutch1254 Well-Known Member

1,449 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    I think you say No and No for the moment.

Eli is currently surrounded with no run game, a porous Oline and a Dline pass rush that is no longer dominant at the moment. The same Dline that helped him get those rings. What is behind Eli at the QB position on the bench is no better. I think you have to let him keep playing with the understanding that he is surrounded with nothing other than some good WR's.

Coughlin only goes if Mara thinks that Cowher wants the job, which he does or at least says he's always dreamed of. The question for Mara is, how rusty would Cowher be? It's been some time. Do I trade that for Coughlin? If I'm Mara I let Coughlin finish the year, see how it goes and if needed you move on from both Coughlin and Cowher. Giants aren't going to tie themselves to media pressure in regard to filling the position.
  19. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

3,228 Messages
    2,125 Likes Received
    Don't twist your ankle or strain your hamstring on this backpedal. We'd have to call you Matt Johnson for the former or Miles Austin for the latter.

Either way enjoy your moon walk.
  20. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,572 Messages
    698 Likes Received
    The Giants are only 2 games out it so now is not the time to make any drastic changes.