1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

OL? What about the DL!

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by btcutter, Aug 27, 2013.

1. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,803 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    I know OL has been an eye sore but right now I am even more worried about our DL. We have no depth and our starters can't stay healthy.

With the trend of run options and fast pace offense DL depth is a must as they get worn out quickly. In the 4th quarter and Dec the DL are beaten down and often allow big plays.

Right now DL is a bigger worry to me than OL.
  2. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,015 Messages
    1,901 Likes Received
    Don't worry. George Selvie and Sean Lissemore are here to save the day!

Remember, Monte and Rod said the DL meeting room was full. You couldn't even fit a guy in there! Nothing to see here. Move along.
    Zordon, Common Sense and ufcrules1 like this.
  3. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,252 Messages
    5,504 Likes Received
    The biggest reason is that the DL seems to be doing a better job collectively than the OL. Hatcher is playing outstanding football. Hayden is overperforming and Ware will be himself. There at least is some glimmer of hope that Spencer represents even more strength when he returns. The OL is a bigger concern because there is no help on the horizon. Unless you count the "Amazing Doug Free".
  4. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,295 Messages
    1,467 Likes Received
    lol.. nice one.
  5. Trueboysfan

Trueboysfan Active Member

142 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I agree with you on depth...our DL is most definately in better shape than our OL but it's got it's troubles as well. I just don't think it's near as much as our OL. However, we can't forget that we are playing with 4 down linemen right now instead of 4 so your concerns definately aren't unwarrented.
  6. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

2,594 Messages
    1,092 Likes Received
    I think the DL will be fine at the beginning of the year. Personally, I was not expecting much from Ratliff this year.

The second half of the year, when Ware, Hatcher and Spencer have been beaten on for a lot of snaps, is when I think worry will set in. I don't think that they will hold up.
  7. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

722 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    There's depth on the DLine, I think your concerns aren't warranted. Nick Hayden, Ben Bass and Sean Lissemore are serviceable rotational players and so is Wilbur and Selvie at DE. We need Spencer/Ware to stay healthy but I expect us to play 8 or 9 guys in the Dline rotation and to have an effective Dline. I think your falling into a trap where you think you need pro bowlers as starters and starting caliber players as backups at every position.
    The Natural likes this.
  8. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,986 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    No need to worry! Jerry has purchased four top-of-the-line Rascal scooters for his superannuated d-line so they can get up the field faster.
  9. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,527 Messages
    1,067 Likes Received
    I think our DLine depth is fine. Could be better, but fine. In my mind, however, our number 1 priority for the 2014 offseason should be finding a franchise 3-tech.
  10. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,986 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    Definitely!

I kid about the age of the d-line but it is a legit concern. This d-line needs an influx of young talent.
  11. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    dont worry ... we can just rely on the healty strong LBs and secondary ... o wait.
  12. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,552 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    The DLine depth looks a lot better when you think about the fact that Ware, Hatcher, and hopefully Spencer, are probably going to be on the field for about 80% of the snaps. Barring injuries, our DL depth is actually pretty good. Lots of guys who can come in in a pinch and be decent enough to spell the starters.
  13. btcutter

2,803 Messages
    248 Likes Received

This is what I am worried about. Our DL gets beaten up because we use our starters so much that by Dec they are all injured and can't play at high level.
    Bass, Hayden etc... Most of these guys are FA DL as our back ups. We been picking people off the streets. Selvie if I remember correctly was also on the streets. Sure we get a gem once in awhile but that quit a bit of luck. Just want some quality depth and rotate them in so starters are fresh.

Both lines give me heartburn.
  14. btcutter

2,803 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    3/5 DL you quoted are FA and Hayden and Selvie we just picked up. Sean was a 7th rounder I believe and only Wilbur was drafted higher than 4th. I don't need starter quality backups but looking at them I am concerned.
  15. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,527 Messages
    1,067 Likes Received
    Who care how we got them if they are performing well? Do you think teams are stacked with first round rotations players?
  16. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,114 Messages
    1,961 Likes Received
    The game is won and lost in the trenches. Expectations, for me, are based on that.
  17. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,521 Messages
    518 Likes Received
    They certainly aren't stacked with street free agents, either. It's preseason, and outside of maybe Hayden, these players have looked good either A) against a bunch of guys who just got cut by other teams today, or B) in the articles on dallascowboys.com.
  18. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    JMO but we are fine for now. Another injury or two and I'm looking for the panic button.
  19. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,048 Messages
    1,083 Likes Received
    This has been the way it's been in football forever. Yet there are those here who don't believe that. Someone said yesterday that we don't need no running game because our passing game is so good. Where do they come up with this non-sense?
  20. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,827 Messages
    1,598 Likes Received
    Say it aint so