1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

OLine Future Options

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by xwalker, Dec 27, 2012.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,291 Messages
    4,837 Likes Received
    I’m going to list some different OL combos to start the 2013 season.

In all scenarios, the following conditions apply:
    1. Bernadeau must be replaced as the starting RG.
    2. Must have an experienced RG next to Parnell.
    3. Must have a backup Center that is pushing to start. Cook cannot run block. A draft pick would be preferred; although Kevin Kowalski might be an option and Bernadeau might be better at OC than at OG.
    4. Must have at least 1 backup OG that is pushing to start at some point. Draft picks would be preferred. Leary might be an option. Kowalski and David Arkin are in the mix, I guess.
    5. Must find a legit backup OT. Darrion Weems is the only candidate currently on the roster. They could use a draft pick here also. Maybe a dual purpose OT/OG type.

Option 1: Most ready on day 1, but limited upside.

LT Tyron Smith - Just turned 22. He should continue to get better.

LG Nate Livings - Could be the best option to start the season at LG.

OC Phil Costa - Could be the best option to start the season at OC. Need to draft a backup OC in the top 3 rounds.

RG Brandon Moore - He is an experienced RG that played 4 years for Callahan.

RT Jermey Parnell - Parnell has the physical ability and now a little bit of experience.

Option 2: No Free Agents
    LT Tyron Smith

LG Ronald Leary - NFL level physical ability, but he looked a bit lost in preseason.

OC Phil Costa - Need to draft a backup OC in the top 3 rounds.

RG Nate Livings. - Moved to RG to keep veteran next to Parnell.

RT Jermey Parnell - Parnell has the physical ability and now a little bit of experience.

Option 3: Draft Pick becomes a Starter
    LT Tyron Smith

LG Draft Pick – If drafting an OG early, it would be good to have one that can play OC also.

OC Phil Costa - Need to draft a backup OC in the top 3 rounds.

RG Nate Livings or Brandon Moore, or other Veteran (Matt Slauson, Jets).

Summary:

The backup and future starter at Center is the most difficult position to find. There are multiple options in the Draft and Free Agency at OG and backup OT, but Near-Zero Centers in FA and only about 3 really good options in the draft.
  2. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I see that you have given up on Free. You say you need to replace Bernadeau to help Parnell. Free had three very good years then a couple down years. During his good years, he was playing next to Kosier. I think getting an experienced guard next to Free would help him as well. Changing positions and changing coaches prolly didn't help Free this year either.
  3. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,350 Messages
    382 Likes Received
    The only way Free stays is if he takes a huge pay cut. The coaching staff is already somewhat establishing that there isn't much difference between Free and Parnell. Younger and cheaper will always win out when performance is equal or even close to being equal.

Not saying I'm totally on board but i believe they like Bernadeau enough to bring him back as either the starting C or at one of the OG spots. I think what we'll see is they'll draft an interior OL likely in either the 2nd or 3rd round and have that player and Leary battle for a starting spot.
    So this is what i believe the staff will do:

LT:Smith
    LG:Livings
    C:Bernadeau
    RG:Leary\(2nd-3rd rd draft pick)
    RT:parnell
  4. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    You may be right about Free, but I think he is still better than Parnell. Parnell has shown nothing to me.

I believe you are completey wrong about Bernadeau. He doesn't run block exceptionally well and if a DT takes anything but a start line on a pass rush, he will whiff. Costa will play center next year or we will get his replacement from somewhere else.

I expect Free to be back next season and we change at RG and maybe center.
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,392 Messages
    1,261 Likes Received
    Too many scenarios with Costa at C.
  6. JohnsKey19

6,350 Messages
    382 Likes Received
    Nothing i wrote above is what I would like to see done. It is purely what i believe the Cowboys management will do in the offseason. I don't see them giving up on Bern/Livings. The only reason why i think Free gets cut is the money issue and it appears based on playing time that they feel Parnell is just as good. We'll see...
  7. Dmoore Esq

Dmoore Esq Member

170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If you draft a center in the first 3 rounds, he better start. That's a high pick for a center.
  8. brymatt94

brymatt94 Active Member

451 Messages
    192 Likes Received
    Thinking the same thing. I'm honestly still not sold on Costa at center. The best bet is to draft someone high that can start right away. I really like Barrett Jones from Alabama. He can play all three positions on the line, and is just very versatile.
  9. JohnsKey19

6,350 Messages
    382 Likes Received
    Is Slauson any good? All I hear out of NY is how bad there OL has performed. He's still relatively young at 26.
  10. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    It won't take much to upgrade the RG position in Dallas. As it stands, the Cowboys was happy to start a Panthers reject. Slauson couldn't be much worse.
  11. Thatkidbob

Thatkidbob Member

343 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Costa will likely be the starting center next year.

He missed a lot of time due to injuries, but in games he played he was an above average center this year. He looked good in pass protection, and he was getting a good push in the running game, even flat out mauling people at times. The only real question mark with him is "can he stay healthy?"
  12. Derinyar

Derinyar Well-Known Member

2,138 Messages
    225 Likes Received
    Costa played in three games this year. Health is a skill/talent. Right now you would have to say it is one that Costa is lacking or at least is a major question mark. Also the other question is what is Costa, because 3 games isn't enough of a sample to really determine anything positive for the long term. I'd hope that we try and upgrade everyone outside of Smith on the OL, and realize that we can't do that in one off season.
  13. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,147 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Leary and Arkin all the way! Budget OLine ftw :bow:
  14. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,291 Messages
    4,837 Likes Received
    I've watched every snap that Free has played over the last 3 seasons at least 10 times each. This year, that includes the 2 additional camera angles provided by the All-22 video.

Free's problem is not related to the OG playing next to him. He knows what to do, he just can't do it (consistently). Free has a fundamental problem with his upper body (hand/arm/shoulder) strength. He just can't use proper technique with his hands.

As Couchscout pointed out in a thread earlier this season, Justin Smith was the 1st defender to really expose Free's weakness in the 2nd game of the 2011 season. Now, defenders know that all they have to do is get their arms under his and thrust upwards. Free has almost no ability to resist this move. As a result of this weakness, Free has made multiple changes to his technique in an attempt to compensate. Holding his hands lower, etc.. Some defenders are better at exposing his weakness than others.

Free's foot quickness and size are the only reason that he hasn't played even worse. Most NFL OTs can reach out and slow down defenders if their getting beat or because their out of position. Free can't. He must get his body in position in order to have a chance to make a good block. The problem is that even the most athletic NFL OTs can't get their body in perfect position at all time.

If I have not described it in enough detail yet, just envision an OT trying to block with both of this hands tied behind his back. If he is big and quick enough, he can make a lot of blocks by just slamming his chest or shoulder pads into the defender and by staying between the defender and the QB.

The reason that Free can run block ok, it that he can just lean his body or shoulder pads into the defender.

Parnell is the opposite of Free. He does not always know exactly what to do, especially in terms of working with the OG. There is a lot a split-second timing involved in handing-off a defender from one blocker to the other and then getting out to make a 2nd block. Too quick and the initial defender wins. Too slow and the 2nd defender wins.

Parnell has elite foot quickness and very good size; however, it's his upper body strength that will allow him to become a much superior player to Free. It is very refreshing to see Parnell doing hand-battle with the defenders in comparison to watching Free.
  15. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,515 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    Nice post. Free makes too much money next year for his production. His only leverage is he's well known here and we don't have a lot OT wise. I expect him to either take a paycut if the two sides can get together or he leaves if someone is worse off than us and think they can fix his problems.
  16. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,634 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    And yet he same thing goes for Church, yet everyone is far more hopeful of him coming off a horrible injury for a DB and being just fine. You can actually replace every time you say 'Costa' with 'Church', and that paragraph would go exactly the same for both.

I don't think anyone knows what Costa's health will be, but we can't just assume he won't be there cause of it. We have to assume he will be there to compete just like Lee, Carter, and the rest of our MASH unit this season.
  17. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,150 Messages
    2,779 Likes Received
    Brilliant thread xwalker.

I agree with you in that I think 4 of the offensive line starters are on the roster presently.

I would love to see Leary progress to the point of being a starter, but I think your option 1 is more likely what's going to happen. I think the team taps the FA market for a guard.

In the draft the team will hopefully find a backup tackle and a center.
  18. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,928 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    I like option#1 because I BELIEVE in a healthy Phil Costa! MB looked good in limited time and is a viable backup.

I really like your realism. Thankfully-there was no talk of replacing four lineman in one offseason.
  19. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,029 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    Phil Costa will likely enter the off-season penciled in as the starting center, but I hope the team will prioritize getting some competition for the position.

We don't know anything more about Costa now than we did last year following a string of injuries this season.

The Terp only started 3 games this year while managing to finish just one.

He lasted the opening series in week one, the entire game in week seven and most of the first half in week eight.

Costa was lauded for the Ravens game in week seven, but came back to earth the following week against the Panthers.

I've always had doubts about this player in a starting role, but Jason Garrett really comes across as genuinely believing in him.

I like Kevin Kowalski as the interior reserve on game days, which also seems to be Ryan Cook's ideal role. Can either make a serious push to start, is Cook even an option or purely viewed as depth?

Mackenzy Bernadeau might also get in the mix if an internal or external alternative is tabbed at RG.

LT - Tyron Smith, Jermey Parnell, (?)
    Smith should only get better on the blindside, keeping Livings next to him would be great for continuity's sake. Parnell will likely back up Smith even if he becomes the starting RT next season, IMO.

LG - Nate Livings, David Arkin
    Living's 2013 base salary is reportedly guaranteed ($1.7M), so he isn't going anywhere. He and Smith should only get better working together. Some in the media have already written Arkin off, but would he really be taking up a spot on the 53 right now if viewed as another Robert Brewster?

C - Phil Costa, Kevin Kowalski, Ryan Cook, (?)
    How committed is the team to Costa? Is his back OK? Will Kowalski challenge to start? Is Cook just depth? Is Bernadeau an option?

RG - Mackenzy Bernadeau, Ronald Leary, (?)
    Will Benradeau stay here or move to C? How much progress can Leary make during the off-season? Will a free agent be signed?

RT - Jermey Parnell, Darrion Weems, (?)
    Is Doug Free done? Free's inconsistencies have been maddening and his contract is an eyesore. Parnell is splitting game reps now and he didn't play any football after the 8th grade until his basketball eligibility expired in college. That's an 8 year layoff! Weems will be in the mix for a roster spot with a number of other OTs that will come aboard during the off-season.
  20. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,515 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    We need better competition. We need a tackle and an interior lineman.