1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

OLine Future Options

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by xwalker, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    I'm really having a hard time believing Slauson is any better than Bernadeau. Guy looks looks stiff in space to me and he was part of a unit that gave up eleven sacks last week.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,209 Messages
    3,038 Likes Received
    Slauson was my 2nd choice. I really like the idea of getting guys that have already played in Callahan's scheme.
  3. Outlaw Heroes

Outlaw Heroes Active Member

1,901 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Unless the Pats tag him, I'd make a strong push for Vollmer.
  4. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,604 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    Are you willing to bet another full season that Parnell is the answer at RT?
  5. xwalker

10,209 Messages
    3,038 Likes Received
    I pulled up the All-22 and reviewed that game. I assigned 1 sack to Slauson and 1 to Moore.

The Jets GM is forcing the coaches to alternate "his" draft pick, Ducasse at LG with Slauson. The OLine coach has publicly stated that it makes him sick to not play Slauson 100% of the time.

I do agree that Slauson is not a great player; however, I think he would be much better than Bernadeau, especially in Callahan's system.

If the Cowboys did sign either Slauson or Brandon Moore from the Jets, then Callahan would know exactly what they can do, with no guessing.
  6. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,097 Messages
    1,955 Likes Received
    They may very well have to due to lack of cap space needed to fill BOTH the RG and the RT positions.

There are no guarantees out there. The Cowboys are competing again 31 other teams for available talent.

That being said I think a RG will be brought in via FA, an OT will be drafted somewhere between rounds 2 and 4.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,923 Messages
    5,566 Likes Received
    Yeah, I got that. I'd rather shift Bernadeau inside and let him fill in at C for right now than go into next season with Phil Costa starting.

I'd honestly release Costa. He wouldn't be on the roster for camp next year.
  8. xwalker

10,209 Messages
    3,038 Likes Received
    Yes, I'm convinced that Parnell is better than Free right now and will continue to get better with experience.

My concern is the 3rd OT. Weems is the only candidate on the roster. It would be great to get Dallas Thomas in the draft. He could be a starter at OG and a quality backup at OT.

Vollmer has back problems. He only started 5 games in 2011 due to back problems. It appears that he is continuing to have back problems.

12/21/12 - OT Sebastian Vollmer (back/knee) remains limited with the injuries, especially the back, that have noticeably bothered him in recent game action.

12/13/12 - T Sebastian Vollmer continues to be listed as limited in practice because of the back and knee injuries that have bothered him in the last few games.

12/07/12 - T Sebastian Vollmer (back/knee) was limited in practice on Thursday. The right tackle returned to action last Sunday in Miami after missing a week of action, but also struggled for most of the game and played like a guy dealing with a back injury.

12/02/12 - OT Sebastian Vollmer returned to his starting right tackle spot against Miami, after missing the Thanksgiving night trip to New York with a back injury.

11/30/12 - T Sebastian Vollmer returned to practice on a limited basis on Thursday after missing practice a day earlier and sitting out the Thanksgiving game in New York with back and knee injuries.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,169 Messages
    1,293 Likes Received
    NEVER spend money on a Lineman with back problems
  10. TwentyOne

TwentyOne Well-Known Member

2,405 Messages
    50 Likes Received

With the signing of the 2 guards last offseason we made pretty good moves and are set at backup positions. I am pretty sure we will now upgrade the starting positions at guard thru the draft and we will find a quality starting center. Free will stay another year with a good guard playing at the right side.

PS: you don't draft for backup center in the first three rounds. Thats were you find starting material.
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,169 Messages
    1,293 Likes Received
    I would go as far as to say if you are looking for backups it should be at least 5th rd and maybe not even that.

I still cringe at Jerruh's DEPTH and SPECIAL TEAMS draft
  12. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,296 Messages
    1,264 Likes Received
    The longer parnell stays playing and rotating series the more likely Free would be a cap casualty
  13. xwalker

10,209 Messages
    3,038 Likes Received
    Please re-read the 1st sentence and item 3:

I’m going to list some different OL combos to start the 2013 season.

3. Must have a backup Center that is pushing to start.

Sean Lee was drafted in 2010 and played in 14 games but started Zero. In 2011, he started all of the games that he played in.

I would have described Sean Lee as a backup pushing to start.

Thanks for catching me, I was about to advocate for drafting a career backup in the first three rounds of the draft.
  14. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,222 Messages
    241 Likes Received
    Nice OP and thread xwalker. Assuming that the team is going with Parnell next year and Free is gone (which is looking more and more likely every game into the RT rotation/audition), what do you think of the likelihood that they'll consider Cook as 3rd OT next year? That's where he's had most of his NFL experience. I just don't know much of anything about his stints with the Vikings and Dolphins.
  15. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,323 Messages
    2,879 Likes Received
    Great.

:bang2:
  16. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,604 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    I have also thought of this, and if Free goes Cook would have to be in the equation cause of his game experience at the position. Maybe the staff felt like this when they picked him up cause he is so versatile. With our centers healthy again, and maybe a pickup too, Cook could fill in wherever needed as a backup.
  17. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    He`s had major back issues. I`d pass on him for that reason. Odds are they will act up again and no one knows how bad it will be.
  18. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,634 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hard time moving on huh? A shame.
  19. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,332 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    I think so too
  20. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,332 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    I agree, Slauson won't break the bank, and I think we will look Defensive line in the 1st