1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Oliver Stone to make movie about George W. Bush called "W"

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 7, 2008.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,232 Messages
    7,061 Likes Received
    Am I the only one who didn't know this? Anywho...

------------------------

Thandie Newton to Play Condoleezza Rice on Big Screen

Posted Apr 6th 2008 6:01PM by Wilson Morales
    Filed under: It's All Reel, Elections, Politics

[IMG]
    I don't know if you are aware of this, but director Oliver Stone is making a film about our current president George W. Bush.

The film will be called'W'and casting has gotten underway with Josh Brolin ('No Country For Old Men') selected to play Bush and Elizabeth Banks cast as First Lady Laura Bush.

The movie will look at Bush's formative years and path to the presidency -- as well as his life inside the White House.

In case you were wondering as to other casting roles, 'The Hollywood Reporter' is stating that Thandie Newton is in final negotiations to star as Condoleezza Rice, the National Security Advisor-turned-Secretary of State.

Meanwhile, Ioan Gruffudd is in final talks to play former British prime minister Tony Blair.

James Cromwell and Ellen Burstyn had previously been cast as George Sr. and Barbara Bush, respectively.

Also notable is the fact that Newton, who was born in Zambia and raised in England, is a Brit, making her the first non-American to be cast for a role in the U.S. administration. Gruffudd is also a Brit and is of course playing a Brit.

Newton has previously had roles in 'The Pursuit of Happyness,' 'Norbit,' 'Mission Impossible: II' and the title role in the Jonathan Demme-helmed drama 'Beloved.'

She's currently starring in Picturehouse's 'Run Fatboy Run' (in theaters now) and will be featured in fellow Brit Guy Ritchie's forthcoming mob pic 'RocknRolla.'

[IMG]

Stone's 'W' is expected to start shooting shortly, with QED and Stone's own Ixtlan banner producing and QED financing. Bill Block, Moritz Borman and Jon Kilik are producers.

As one of the few cabinet members to serve during both Bush terms, Rice's role in the Bush White House is seen as pivotal.

According to those who've read the 'W' script, Rice is said to be in a key first scene as well as a number of scenes connected to the Iraq war. Blair also appears in Iraq-related scenes.

Stone has said he wants to draw a fair-minded portrait of the polarizing figure. Sources familiar with the script say Bush is depicted as an easily distracted figure predisposed to personal agendas, though they say the script occasionally shows a more sympathetic side.

Among the key 'W' roles yet to be cast are those of Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld and Karl Rove.

And maybe -- just maybe -- former U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell.

LINK
  2. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I saw the story about Thandie being cast but that was the first I had heard of it.
  3. DallasFanSince86

DallasFanSince86 Pessimism Sucks

2,056 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    According to IMDB.com this will be released sometime in 2009.

Here's its page.

W.
  4. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,080 Messages
    807 Likes Received
    Thandie Newton is so freakin hot.
  5. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,286 Messages
    1,242 Likes Received
    I wonder what Stone's angle will be. Story telling or bashing LOL

He should be careful though.... after he did JFK one of his theories in the movie had been disproved.

So... if he slams Bush for the war and then in 10-20 years the War is determined a success.... he becomes less credible.
  6. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received

How can a hack like Stone become less credible.

He needs an award or two to pump up his prestige and the easiest way to win one these days is put out some leftist drivel and walk away with an Oscar.

This movie is going to bleed money.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    And I'm going to keep on selling that beach front property just down the street from me.

PLEASE!
  8. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,075 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    Jeez. Condi Rice being played by Thandie Newton?

Serious upgrade.
  9. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    We've just lived through the last seven plus years of the Bush Nightmare...why in God's name would anyone want to pay to see a movie that would relive that horror?
  10. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    No kidding...Condi's got to be at least happy with that.
  11. Big Dakota

Big Dakota New Member

11,875 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]

I think I'll wait for Brad Pitt in the Ernest Borgnine story. Little less of a stretch:laugh2:
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I have to say I have enjoyed most of Oliver Stone movies. However I understand that it is only a movie not a lesson in history or some factual account. Stone movies are entertainment only anyone seeing it more than that is really simple minded.
  13. REDVOLUTION

25,286 Messages
    1,242 Likes Received
    I think WALLSTREET was a GREAT movie.
  14. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    What's the problem?

[IMG][IMG]
  15. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Agreed...I love Wallstreet.

Also loved Platoon.
  16. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,279 Messages
    2,469 Likes Received
    What was disproved?

I'm just curious. I honestly don't know.
  17. REDVOLUTION

25,286 Messages
    1,242 Likes Received

I am sure it could be found on the net.... I remember watching something on the history channel, something about new info about the whole JFK "thing" and they made a specific reference to a Stone's JFK and flat out said he was wrong... I dont remember though....

There is always Google and free time :)
  18. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  19. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    One thing Stone did was take many different theories and wrapped them around 1 central character Clay Shaw who Jim Garrison did bring to trial however much of the comments that were made in the movie never took place in the trial. Stone did take some fact and mixed them with falsehoods to come up with an entertaining movie but nothing more than that.
  20. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    how many hollywood writers are...credible?