1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

One thing that may be overlooked about Jerruh

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by spolcyc, Nov 12, 2012.

1. spolcyc

spolcyc Member

93 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know people complain constantly about Jerruh and his skill as a GM and I will not argue that he hasn't always made the best decisions during his tenure as GM...however since 2010, him and his scouting staff have made selections at the top of the draft that are names that are already regularly called and forming the core of our team.

2010: People complain about Dez, but look at the players taken after him. Not a whole lot. Absolute HIT on Sean Lee in round 2. Multiple pro bowls in his future.

2011: Once Tyron gets acclimated to playing LT, he will be a perennial pro bowler. Bruce Carter has the potential with Lee to form the best ILB duo in the league within two years. Another shot at multiple pro bowls. Murray, while is appearing to possibly be injury prone, is an explosive power back, or in Merril Hodges words a "factor back" (I really hate that phrase by the way)

2012: Really too early to tell on Morris, but from what I've seen this year he has been holding his own as a rookie and I see the potential to grow into a player that is well worth a 6th overall pick.

There is much room for improvement in the lower 2/3rds of the draft, but I will say it is nice to see us not completely squandering our high draft picks either by trading them (Galloway and Williams) or wasting them on players that never contributed to the team (Bobby Carpenter, Bennett etc) and actually getting impact players that are forming an extremely solid core for our future.
  2. AZ_Cowboys_Fan

AZ_Cowboys_Fan Member

516 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Agreed, people focus on the bad picks but we've really been nailing our high picks lately. I can't be too mad about Dez because at the time I fully endorsed that pick. Don't forget about Crawford, he looks like he has a lot of promise.
  3. HowAboutThemCowboys

HowAboutThemCowboys Well-Known Member

3,086 Messages
    655 Likes Received
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile. It's hard to ignore some of his drafts where he whiffed on the entire draft.
  4. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    The bolded part is the concern. When you are picking at the top of the draft unless you are completely incompetent then you are going to hit on them generally. But where the GMs make their reps is beyond that.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,977 Messages
    1,863 Likes Received
    You mean the "special teams draft" didn't impress you?
  6. spolcyc

spolcyc Member

93 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    By no means am I saying Jerruh would receive an A from me in the GM department. All I am saying is I'm glad to see we're at least making progress in the competency level in the draft. I would agree that you generally "hit" on players in the early rounds of the draft, with the majority becoming servicable starters.

What I'm saying is we've drafted more than just "servicable" players the last three years. The top two picks the last three years (depending on if Dez can learn a playbook...) I believe both Lee and Carter will have more than a couple pro bowls by the time they hang the cleats up along with Smith. We've drafted the beginnings of a very solid nucleus to pass the torch to from the current one
  7. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,251 Messages
    126 Likes Received
  8. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    Well...Lee and Carter were both second rounders and DeMarco came in the third. I'd say those guys are hits. Tyrone Crawford looks like he'll be a good player.

Great teams are built in the mid rounds. Hitting on guys like that are huge. I think that's probably where JG has had his biggest impact, because the drafting before him in those rounds, albeit hindered by some injuries, was putrid.
  9. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,049 Messages
    2,234 Likes Received
    The definition of Jerry was the 2009 draft. What a collection of nothing that was, especially considering that the first-rounder (and others) were given up for Roy Williams.

Jerry did NOT want to draft Tyron Smith. I'm sure he kicked and screamed through that whole draft, which Garrett and company ran.

Jerry is Shante Carver, Kavika Pittman, Ebennezar Ekuban, Dwayne Goodrich, Quincy Carter, Solomon Page, Drew Henson, Chad Hutchinson....

Jerry is an unmitigated football disaster.
  10. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Those 2 LBs in SF probably say your flat-out wrong...
  11. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    This is so off base. You can bash Jerry for mistakes, sure, he makes them. But pretty much every GM in the history of the NFL does. Look at the draft picks teams like Buffalo routinely make. John McCargo? Aaron Maybin? And those guys went early.

If you're going to credit Jerry for all the bad moves, you have to credit him for the good ones. Tony and Miles are undrafted. Rat was a 7th rounder. Considering his career, Witten was a great pick even though he went in the 2nd. If it was up to Parcells, Spears goes at 11 and we probably don't get Ware.
  12. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How do you know Garrett did? Roy Williams, Brad Johnson, Kitna, Felix Jones... let go of Amendola, playing Kevin Ogletree
  13. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    They might play better as a duo, but I don't think individually they are better. There might not be a LB in the league with more physical ability than Carter.
  14. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They both are more physically gifted than Sean Lee. And Patrick Willis is a beast. But that's not a knock on Carter...
  15. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    As a pure athlete, I don't think Willis is. Maybe, but not obviously.

Willis is the best LB in football because he combines intelligence, instincts, and athleticism. He's better than Carter in the first two categories for sure, but as an athlete, I'm not sure.
  16. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    :laugh2: nice edit
  17. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,017 Messages
    9,099 Likes Received
    Yes...Jerry, who couldn't find a player to save his life from 1994-2002 suddenly started to find Wittens and Ratliffs later in the draft and Romos and Austins in UDFA.

Or.....

Bill Parcells arrived.

I'll let you figure it out.
  18. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,909 Messages
    753 Likes Received
    I really don't think a GM makes his money off of who he picks in the 1st round. Granted, that is important, but I think a GM should be judged off of how many players he drafted are still with the team 3 years later.
  19. utrunner07

utrunner07 Well-Known Member

9,064 Messages
    63 Likes Received
    If you will go back and look at drafts you will see that the 2-3year mark is generally the high point for a drafts that are not immediate busts. Dez Bryant is a waste of a first round pick, complete waste. I'll hold off on Sean Lee, but injuries were issues in College and this would not be the first frequently injured player we drafted that never puts it all the way together because he continues to get injured. Your 2011 and 2012 analysis is pretty much "ifs". We'll see. I'll wait till year 5 to evaluate.
  20. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,049 Messages
    2,234 Likes Received
    Jerry did not make the decisions when Parcells was here other than Terrell Owens, Drew Henson, and Peerless Price. Parcells (and his scouts) were responsible for those drafts and finding Miles Austin (who went to Parcells high school) and Romo (who Sean Payton and others were in on). Parcells wasn't perfect, but he rebuilt this roster from a pile of utter trash.

I give him almost no credit for the past two drafts because he's taken his hands off the reins. He handled the drafts between Jimmy and Parcells, and during Wade's time. I do think he had a hand in going after Mo Claiborne because he and Fisher are big buddies and Fisher wanted to move down and get more picks.

That period between Jimmy and Parcells was the worst drafting in league history, bar none, and that includes the Lions.