1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Opinion: Garrett has no assistant coach say so

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Vinnie2u, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

1,969 Messages
    276 Likes Received
    To me this is Dallas's biggest problem. The head coach has no stroke. The players will never respect the coach. If I was a established well known coach. I would never come to Dallas.
  2. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,208 Messages
    1,282 Likes Received
    He personally chose Jimmy Robinson and Bill Callahan, and I think he's behind the Rob Ryan firing. I don't think they got along well.

We'll know soon enough.
  3. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,193 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    will we know? how?
  4. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,707 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    They got along very well. But I think he used him as a scapegoat and he's definitely behind the firing.
  5. Yoshimitsu

Yoshimitsu Lurch

1,988 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I like Garrett as a head coach. He has that HC aura. As a OC I think he isn't well suited especially if he has to play two roles. We'll see though if he is a good HC without having to be a play caller.
  6. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,208 Messages
    1,282 Likes Received
    This. Garrett has exceptional qualities, but that doesn't mean the offense isn't stale and need of a fresh approach.
  7. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    This is all speculation but Ryan always felt like the guy Jerry hired for Jason.

What we might be seeing now is Jerry saying "ok Jason you have one year to do it with a fully hand picked staff".

No idea whether or not it's true, or why he would do that, but I've given up trying to make sense of this team.
  8. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,208 Messages
    1,282 Likes Received
    Just watch the scene and how it unfolds. Garrett's fingerprints are all over the team the past two years, good and bad. Certainly the draft, outside of the Mo pick, which had some Jerry in it.
  9. rat2k8

rat2k8 Active Member

557 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    I am all for Garrett as a HC as long as during the games he is strapped to the bench, and his mouth gagged with duct tape. That way, he can't screw up clock management, Indecisive throwing of the challenge flag and icing our very own kicker :D
  10. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    link?.....proof?.....
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,959 Messages
    3,902 Likes Received
    Maybe they got along great, and Garrett saw an opportunity to upgrade the postion, anyway.

No way to know, at least until we see what happens next. Ryan makes for a pretty poor scapegoat in any universe, though, given how well-loved he was by the same group that most considers JG an idiot daywalking robot. Especially after a season where RR was roundly given a pass for his unit's drop off due to significant injuries.
  12. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    I wouldn't mind if Garrett had a stroke.
  13. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,756 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

(stupid cowboy fans)
  14. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,969 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    Coach has no say so? That's just silly.
  15. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,810 Messages
    497 Likes Received
    Ouch.....

I think Garrett has more so then people believe. I think Peete and Ryan were two hirings he had no say in and I believe he's responsible for their firings.
  16. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,756 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    Sometimes I think this organization is always being built backwards.

Like a carpenter building the roof of a house before the foundation is built and before the buyer tells the builder what he wants his house to be built like!
  17. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,152 Messages
    1,323 Likes Received
    I like how IDGIT got offended and put opinion on the thread title.
  18. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,969 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    I think they may have worked professional well together. Rob has been well liked in most of his stops.

I don't think they got along well in the "having a beer after the game" sense like Rob got on with his cigar buddies.
  19. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

14,959 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    as silly as Garrett being hired before Phillips?
  20. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I think Garrett his hiring his own staff. The trouble is Garrett didn't have much coaching experience when he came to Dallas as a coordinator that he could fall back on. He didn't have a lot of first hand previous direct working relationships that he could draw on. He's having to feel out his staff as he goes with word of mouth.

Fans usually just draw a correlation that a assistant coach is the head coaches "guy" based on whether they coached together previously. Without that, they'll just jump to conclusions that Jerry forced it on him.