1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Opinion: Garrett has no assistant coach say so

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Vinnie2u, Jan 9, 2013.

1. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

700 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    Well Vinnie,
    Welcome to our nightmare!! The only way to wake up is when the GM leaves.
    Settle in because it's going to be a long, long slumber.
  2. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,667 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    I know am in the minority but I think Garrett is going to be great as a HC. I really do. I think he has this team headed in the right direction.

It has been mentioned that Ryan was unorganized and leaned heavily on his assistants. This and him using injuries as an excuse - yes they were extensive though - were the prime reasons IMO he was sent packing.

We will bring in a couple solid guys as OC and DC and will continue the process, making progress towards being competitive. I have no idea who they have in mind but having two solid coordinators can have Garrett be the HC and fine tune things. I think he has very good attention to detail - all of the great ones do.

The team will go heavy line - both D and O - in the draft and get a FA safety. This team will be even better next year. The lines were the problem here this year and just like we did with CB last year - we had a deficiency and took care of it in the off season. This year will be the lines.

Have faith. The team, for once, has a long term plan and is getting the right people and players here. It is long overdue.
  3. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    The new Cowboy way. Upside down and backwards.
  4. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,548 Messages
    980 Likes Received
    There were reports well before Parcells quit that Jerry planned on bringing in Garrett to coach offense under BP. That was something that was in motion very very early. And, no, I don't think it was silly as we ended up hiring pretty late in the game. You have to have some staff in place by then - it isn't like the guys we knew would be finalists were going to object to that hiring.
  5. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    I'm hearing that's a bunch of mularkey and is only being leaked now to try and justify firing one incompetent coach but not the other.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,281 Messages
    7,038 Likes Received
    What kinds of Cowboys are you hanging out with?
  7. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

700 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    Get real man.
    JJ said he has a hand in ALL decisions including and not limited to jocks to socks. That is a given. The only way I see him giving any kind of authority is having JG choose from a list created by JJ and then JG must make a case for his choice to convince JJ to move forward with that choice. If any of JJ's cronies see differently, good luck!!
  8. yentl911

1,667 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    Brian B was saying this and he has some close contacts with the team I would say. Makes sense.

The team does not have to justify letting Ryan go. If they are not happy with his performance then they were not happy. End of discussion.
  9. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    He definitely seems to. Everything from dealing with scouts before the draft, the OTAs, setting the tone of the team (physicality), etc.

I think he may turn out to be a better HC than an OC.

We will all know soon enough.
  10. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,998 Messages
    927 Likes Received
    RR didn't get a pass. He got fired despite being able to hold this defense together. He got canned.

How about Garrett? His been here longer, got multiple passes for being and inept playcaller, and is still getting a pass on why our offense is stale and predictive each and every year since his been a HC and/or an OC. Ryan is nothing more than a scapegoat. Majority of the problem is Garrett himself.
  11. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

700 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    I agree. I didn't at first half of the season but I think he earned another year after the Pitt game. I do think he needs help with O/C responsibilities so he can focus on the team as a whole.
  12. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Well then they could have let him go without leaking this "disorganized" crap.

Or maybe they should have noticed that during the interview process when he came into the room looking like Pig Pen with paper and post-it notes flying all over the place.
  13. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    So Brian Stewart was hired because he was JJ's handpicked choice, and not because he had previously coached with Wade in San Diego?

And Jimmy Robinson was hired because he was JJ's handpicked choice, not because he and Garrett had previously worked together before?

This is your assertion? Because if it is, it's utterly laughable.
  14. yentl911

1,667 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    Jerry is going to make the decisions. Period. He will take input but the final call is his. People may not be happy with that but that is the way it is. Stop complaining about it and move on or cheer for another team. I am so tired of Jerry this, Jerry that...the guy wants to win more than anyone.

Maybe he wasn't happy with Ryan's performance. Sorry it went against all of the football guru's on here.

I could care less if Ryan is here. To be honest I was so tired of seeing Spencer and Ware dropping into coverage or having our CB's 15 yards off the damn ball. People complained about the lack of plays, the lack or proper player utilization and then go nuts when the guy is rolled.

Pick one side or the other or you are just dragging your ******* down the pickets.
  15. yentl911

1,667 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    Maybe they thought he would come around given the new opportunity but it did not work out. Like I said, they do not need to justify the decision.
  16. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    And yet here we are - with them "justifying the decision" by leaking that the guy they've made the scapegoat was "disorganized".
  17. yentl911

1,667 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    I do not think it was being used as justification but more of a fact. I do not think Ryan is a scapegoat. He just isn't/ wasn't very good. Next.
  18. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    What is the difference? Noone is saying that it's false - just that it's pathetic timing and since it's been leaked it's absolutely being tossed about as justification.
    Neither is Garrett. But he's still employed, at least for now. Hence - scapegoat.
  19. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    It may have been because he was "disorganized".

Your point that Garrett should have weeded him out in an interview goes back to my point that Garrett didn't have many direct coaching contacts or working relationships in the coaching community before he came to Dallas. When you have no personal background with people, you have to resort to less than reliable routes like interviews and word of mouth. If I had a nickel for everytime someone I hired who interviewed great but didn't work out longterm, I would have like fifty leven nickels.

FWIW, this is reportedly one of the things that got Andy Reid in trouble in Philly. He worked with one defensive guy for so many years that when Jimmy Johnson passed away and had to be replaced he had lost all of his defensive coaching contacts from his assistant days and didn't know who to replace him with. He tried to promote a young guy from within, who wasn't ready for the job and didn't work out. Then he had to go outside and bring in guys based on reputation and word of mouth like Jim Washburn, and it was a train wreck.
  20. yentl911

1,667 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    Real good points Roshi.