1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Opinion: Garrett has no assistant coach say so

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Vinnie2u, Jan 9, 2013.

1. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,582 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    Well Garrett is staying and I think he is the long term HC. I think he is going to be great.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Ryan sucked.
  2. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Sounds like we made a great head coaching hire, especially with three all time greats approaching 30.

I too enjoy fantasizing about things that will never happen.
  3. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

6,313 Messages
    707 Likes Received
    I think you might be right on this.
  4. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,265 Messages
    1,547 Likes Received
    If I remember correctly, Ryan came in with a shirt and tie during Garrett's interview and wanted to just talk football. Garrett told him he could take off his tie and just talk, so Garrett hired him.

Shouldn't Jerry have corrected him? He is the GM and he knows way more people in the NFL than Garrett did.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,472 Messages
    6,177 Likes Received
    1, they're not peers. 2, JG is not an inept play caller, and I"ll ask what I always ask when this gets thrown around: can you name a single play call you didn't like? And I'm not talking about the outcome, but the play itself. I bet you can't.

Finally, there's a reason why the team apparently thought JG is deserving of a job and RR is not. Their decision might not be right, but it's based on a lot more data than you're basing yours on.
  6. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,931 Messages
    992 Likes Received
    No, Garrett throws anyone and everyone under the bus. He's done it in press conferences for years. The defense underperformed this year, so he bent Jerry's ear ... et voila! ... scapegoat to save Jason's rear.
  7. Idgit

30,472 Messages
    6,177 Likes Received
    I've listened to almost every one of JGs conferences during my drives to and from work. I've yet to hear him throw anyone under a bus. And I've yet to hear him even approach it. I've heard posters reference it, and I literally don't know what they might be talking about.
  8. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,125 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    The excuses never stop. We've had many arguments over the last several years about Garrett's ability to run the offense. I've heard countless times about how great of an offensive mind he is. If only the o-line could block... or the RB's could break tackles...or the WR's could get open...or the players could line up right..or we had more talent..or the players executed.

Now the Garrett parrots, in a last ditch effort, are planting the seeds for their newest narrative. It's the "well, it was too much work for him to run the offense anyway.. we should bring in coordinators to let Garrett be the 'walkaround coach' since that's what he's good at'" talking point.

And now in this thread, a new twist. Let's float the idea that Garrett never really wanted Rob Ryan. Ah yes, see, that wasn't Garrett's fault either. He was just an innocent bystander. Now that Jerry is apparently poised to take the offensive reigns away from the Boy Wonder, he's NOW going to let him have input on the defense?

Hm..wait, maybe Garrett was actually a defensive maestro all along. That's why his offenses sucked every year. I think Jerry just struck gold with this shrewd move. I can't wait to see who Jason hires!
  9. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Yeah, where are these reports that Ryan was unorganized? And what's wrong with "leaning heavily on assistants", if he even did that more than usual?
  10. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

Its even funnier when you consider that when Waddles was here, he ALWAYS caught the blame when Jasons unit was floundering. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS. Now? Oh no, not the headcoaches fault. No no, no sir. Couldnt be.
  11. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

622 Messages
    106 Likes Received
    OK I get it. The HC of Dallas certainly has a say or opinion on coaching personnel however it has to make sense to JJ and if JJ has another pet he wants to hire instead, JJ will override the HC's choice. Like I said earlier, if the HC can make a case for the person they are considering, I think JJ will listen/consider, however I truly believe JJ has final say and uses his "consulting sources" around the league to help him with those decisions, not the HC only. If you believe JJ has nothing to do with these decsions (with all that has happened and been said by those who have worked for him) then that is utterly laughable.
    None of us really knows but your talking about his baby and he holds that baby very close. He has even said it himself. "Socks to Jocks"
  12. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,125 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    When you try to suggest Garrett had personnel input as OC here, they'll throw that on Wade too.

Now if you ask who's fault it is that Ryan didn't have great personnel to work with?

Sure as hell ain't Garrett's fault. And according to some it isn't even Jerry's. Let's blame Ciskowski!
  13. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,328 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    This is something that hit me in reading about Ryans firing. Jones is basically cutting the legs out from under Red. If he yanks play calling duties from red (I do hope so) I dont see how Red can stay and have any self esteem at all. Everyone everywhere will know hes a puppet and basically living on borrowed time. I can see the writing on the wall. He wont be here much longer I fear. That may not be a bad thing, but who to replace him with? Another 10 years of hopefully 500 ball. UGGG!!! What a mess Jones has made of this whole thing.
  14. Idgit

30,472 Messages
    6,177 Likes Received
    If they think they can upgrade, why in the world does it matter? Just because you don't like JG, he shouldn't be allowed to have his own coordinators?

If the HC thinks he can do better, it's his obligation to do the hard thing and fire the guy he's got and bring in the guy he thinks can do better. If he's wrong, he's going to lose his own job, and that's the way it should be.

I don't understand all the complaining about canning Rob stupid-Ryan.
  15. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Sure he should. Of course I think that the HC should be able to have his own coordinators. I complained a lot when Jerry didn't give Wade the assistants he wanted (Houck over Solari, for example).

I just wondered where this particular Rob criticism came from, because I've never heard it before.
  16. Idgit

30,472 Messages
    6,177 Likes Received
    Me, either. People are just making up crazy stuff now to justify how Garrett could have hired RR in the first place. (BTW, I hit reply here after reading several posts in a row, and lumped that sentiment together, collectively. Didn't mean to single your post out).

Though, honestly, I'd be really surprised if Rob *were* the organized type. He strikes me as innovative, and great with people, and disorganized. He's probably pretty good with the technique he wants and with cutting through the nonsense, too, to get where he's gotten. I do think he's the least-impressive Ryan, but a significant margin.
  17. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Not trying to single you out, but exactly what long term direction do you see that impresses you? Some of that long term direction was fired yesterday. Garrett's two years haven't shown improvement. If anything it is a stalemate. 8-8 followed by another 8-8. The thread topic falls right in line with some of his problems, the GM. These drafts have not been great by any means. The team still plays a soft, penalty-filled, dumb type of football. There has been no dramatic increase in the quality of football that this team plays. While this little fiasco is taking place, Romo, Ware and Witten are getting older and moving towards the end of their careers without young players to replace them.

I think Garrett has as much say-so in the asst. coaches as any other Dallas coach. That is very little and Jerry reminds the world quite often. This is the only organization that runs with the owner/GM constantly wanting to be in the media spotlight and getting credit for every move that is being made. His ego will not allow him to step back and realize that his desire for complete credit is causing this team to fail. Don't let anybody fool you, Jerry is pulling the strings on every hire and firing that is made. If you don't believe it, ask him. His ego won't allow him to deny his involvement.
  18. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,331 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    How does anyone know that Ryan wasn't Garretts choice?
  19. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,265 Messages
    1,547 Likes Received
    It was his choice. Now he's making other choices.
  20. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,880 Messages
    2,137 Likes Received
    I think starting last year, he began to have more say in that area.
    I suspect he has even more now....but maybe still not enough