1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Opinion: Proposed rule change

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Snauty, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Snauty

Snauty Active Member

332 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    I believe in football. If a team is on the goal line and the defense commits a 5 yard penalty like encroachment... then the offense should get a first down and not half the distance to the goalline. Niners got away with a meaningless penalty which should of been a first down. If any one saw the play, i was flabbergasted.
    OhSnap and Reverend Conehead like this.
  2. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,633 Messages
    932 Likes Received
    Why should it be a 1st down? An automatic 1st down for an encroachment penalty??? C'mon man....This isn't soccer, it's football. The players need to win the game, not the refs...
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,742 Messages
    5,902 Likes Received
    Religious discussions are prohibited here.[IMG]
  4. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

8,553 Messages
    285 Likes Received
    Nah. Don't agree with that rule change.
    Ky31 likes this.
  5. Snauty

Snauty Active Member

332 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    If you saw the penalty you would understand why. Niners basically got away with a free penalty. And a stupid penalty at that. if it was first down i wouldn't be griping but it was 3rd and inches and half the distance to goal wasn't going to help the panthers in that situation.
  6. CaptainCreed

CaptainCreed Active Member

380 Messages
    154 Likes Received
  7. Snauty

Snauty Active Member

332 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    sorry should of proofread the paragraph. Meant to say " I Believe if football "
  8. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

10,225 Messages
    1,707 Likes Received
    rules already favor the offense too much.
    Wolf2k5 and RW Hitman like this.
  9. Snauty

Snauty Active Member

332 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    I guess i just hate the niners to much.
    links18 likes this.
  10. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

12,087 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    The rule is fine the way it is. Awarding the offense that's in a goal to go situation from the one yard line a first down due to an encroachment call on the defense would be bogus. It may not have helped the Panthers but football is a game of inches and just an inch can be the difference between breaking the plane of the goal line and having to settle for a FG.

The offense should only be awarded an automatic first down for a flagrant foul. You don't want to hand an offense that's facing a 3rd and goal situation a first down due to an encroachment call on the defense it wouldn't be fair. The rules that are already in place have defenses handcuffed as it is.
    RW Hitman likes this.
  11. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,502 Messages
    870 Likes Received
    This isn't soccer? Lololol. What the heck does that mean?

Oh...you mean like the ticky tac PI on a bomb that basically gives teams a TD??

So it is like soccer? Or it's not?
  12. KJJ

12,087 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    A PI call has to be a spot foul or db's will mug receivers every time they're beaten to prevent a TD. It would be better to take a 10-15 yard penalty than give up a 50-plus yard TD. The rule forces db's to cover receivers and not commit flagrant fouls to prevent TD's.
  13. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,502 Messages
    870 Likes Received
    Yeah bc the college rule is broken and doesn't work at all and there are no other alternatives...
  14. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

6,958 Messages
    636 Likes Received
  15. Proximo

Proximo Well-Known Member

1,217 Messages
    919 Likes Received
    How did they get away with a free penalty? The Panthers got closer to the goal line and replayed the down as a result.

Your logic is flawed here. Why should the offense get a WHOLE NEW SET OF DOWNS? That makes no sense. They get to replay the down in question. That's enough. It's a presnap penalty.
    coult44 likes this.
  16. KJJ

12,087 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    I do believe coaches should be allowed to challenge PI calls because there's so much incidental contact and a call like that can change a game.
  17. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,633 Messages
    932 Likes Received
    I was making light of the horrible rules regarding off sides in soccer.
  18. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,556 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    yeah but they can better handle them. I say spot foul for very obvious PIs that is obviously the defender trying to prevent being beaten, come on - we all know what those are... every other PI where it looks like incidental contact or unintended should be 15 yards, automatic first for both types

because it is obvious to us that QBs put those into the game plan script as well as it is really not fair to place ball at spot if the intentions of the defender is more just tough football rather than intentional contact
  19. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,558 Messages
    1,703 Likes Received
  20. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,556 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    rules favor offense WAY too much already....
    links18 likes this.