1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Oprah=Hypocrite!

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ologan, Oct 21, 2008.

1. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,798 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    OPRAH OFFERS PRODUCTION HELP WITH OBAMA'S NETWORK SPECIAL
    Tue Oct 21 2008 09:28:56 ET

Oprah Winfrey is offering to "produce" the half-hour Barack Obama advertisement set to air on Oct. 29, a top source tells the DRUDGE REPORT. The Daytime TV dynamo has even offered up her studio space in Chicago.

"She's been begging Obama to let her help," a source explaines.

It is not clear if the Obama campaign would pay Winfrey for any production services.

Requests for comment from Oprah went un-returned.

The Obama campaign strongly denies Oprah will be involved in the ad.

The TV finale is seen as a high risk move, designed to remove any remaining voter doubts on the first term senator.

CBS, NBC and FOX will air the info-commercial, with the start time of a potential World Series Game 6 being pushed back by eight minutes.

Mystery surrounds the production: Will it simply be Obama sitting at a desk reading TelePrompTer? Or will it incorporate multi-media elements, on the road footage, and sweeping historic images.

Seems she won't allow Sarah Palin equal time on her program,but will spend untold millions for "The Messiah"! What a tool!
  2. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    She's a tool, but I don't think she's a hypocrite. She's openly been in the tank for Obama since the beginning.
  3. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Oprah's a shill and doesn't try to hide it. Not a hypocrite but for sure a shill.
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,709 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    Production services for an infomercial (ie political yawn) versus on-air time on HER show are two different things, IMO.

But like DW said, she's very much an Obama supporter, so there should be no shock as to her wanting to help him in this regard.
  5. Wheat

Wheat Philosopher

2,924 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Wouldn't equal time be having McCain on? Did he ask to come on?
  6. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,050 Messages
    1,925 Likes Received
    What is really at issue her is how each candidate has elected to finance there campaigns. As I understand it, both Obama and McCain had agreed to run a Publically financed campaign. This limits what can be spent. However, Obama elected to opt out of this and go to a privately finanaced campaign which gives him much more capitol and much more latitude on how he can campaign. He is not under the same restrictions that McCain is. This is somewhat unfortunate because both men had originally agreed to run there respective campaigns using public funding. I personally believe this is how all campaigns should be run. When a campaign is privately financed, you don't know where the money is coming from until after the election, if at all. Not saying there are irregularities with Obama's campaign but I am saying that there is a certain climate for such irregularities to occure.

It is what it is but the long and short of it is that Obama has much more money to spend on his campaign, then does McCain.
  7. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    This is just one of the lies Obama has told. Why anyone would trust him is beyond reason.
  8. Wheat

Wheat Philosopher

2,924 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, its a hard sell to say "Hey! The tax payers should be footing your bill! How dare you not take the 87million from American's instead of raising the money yourself"

I agree he shouldn't have said that. But, at the end of the day. You and I are funding McCain right now......and neither of us are funding Obama. I didn't donate. Did any of you?
  9. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,798 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    Agreed! However,Harpo Productions,Oprah's company,better be charging the going rate for work donefor Obama,or she could get into some questions concerning legality vis-a-vis extent of campaign contributions. Or at least that's my take on it.
  10. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,798 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    On second thought,hypocrite isn't the right word....How about HARPO-CRITE?
  11. ABQCOWBOY

35,050 Messages
    1,925 Likes Received

That's kinda the problem right? We don't know who is donating. It's a fundamental question of sorts. Do you want to see large companies and or Special Interest Groups funding hundreds of millions of dollars of campaign funds to politicians or do you want to have the Government give a set amount of funds, 87 million I guess the figure is, to each of the candidates and have them use those funds to run campaigns?

Because those running for office can keep the funds that are provided, how can a privately funded campaign ever be above outside influences if said Candidate is elected? It's a tall order even for the most honest of candidates. If you don't support those who donated generously, then those campaign donations somehow always seem to find the light of day and it creates problems for the elected official. If you do play ball and support those interest groups, then how can you be doing your job in a fair and impartial manner?

I'm completely in favor of Publicly run campaigns. I'm also in favor of spending all you are entilted to and returning all funds not spent back to the Government.
  12. Wheat

Wheat Philosopher

2,924 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The owner of the Philly Flyers is a HUGE GOP fundraiser. He had Palin drop the puck.

Should be be forced to have Biden do it also? Biden probably wouldn't get booed.......who am I kidding? Jesus would get booed. But, should he be forced to have both people there?
  13. Wheat

Wheat Philosopher

2,924 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What you are talking about is so much bigger than McCain and Obama. Should campaigns spend hundred of millions to get elected? No. I agree with you.

If you can produce a 100% even playing field. Then nobody should complain.

The GOP is paying for a lot of McCain's stuff. Is that only from public financing? Of course not. But, its within the rules......right now. He's something like 37mil behind Obama when you add in the GOP additions.
  14. ABQCOWBOY

35,050 Messages
    1,925 Likes Received

What should happen is real political campaign reform. There is a limit to what you can donate, to be sure. However, air time to one candidate over the other is also not right. How Hollywood and TV have treated this campaign is discraceful. If you watch how Ophrah treated Obama vs McCain, it is pretty pronounced.

There simply should not be an avenue for this at all. If Ophrah and others want to support a given candidate, then show up at a rally and get on stage with them, the way it used to be done in the old days. That's my opinion anyway.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

35,050 Messages
    1,925 Likes Received
    I heard a report the other day that mentioned the figure to be something like 5 to 1 spending in favor of Obama. Now, is this the actual figure? I don't know. The point is, and I think we agree on this, is that the amount should be limited, set and provided by the Government. All of this outside BS should completely go away.
  16. Wheat

Wheat Philosopher

2,924 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I agree.....and I think in future elections. That would be good. 2 weeks to go of this one, its a little late to start on this.

I was in line at Home Depot and the lady at the register was telling a guy in an Obama shirt in front of me that where she's from (I think Holland) that people running for office can't mention their party in ads. Only their policies. I think that's a good idea.

Its like a debate. Instead of seeing these people slam each other. I'd like each to answer the exact same set of questions without knowing what the other guy said. Then let the public decide who had the best ideas. No slamming the other guy. Only say what you are FOR......not what you are against.
  17. Viper

Viper Active Member

2,190 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree with you Wheat, I did think the saddleback debate was the best out of all of them. I would like to see more of that, but I still like the head to head. There is alot more pressure head to head, how they react to this setting is important to me.

In my opinion, McCain won the Saddleback and a slight lead in the last debate. Obama blew McCain away in the other two head to head matchups.
  18. Wheat

Wheat Philosopher

2,924 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The problem with side by side debates is that people often allow the visual to weigh too much. Bush "looked" better than Gore in 2000. Obama looks better than McCain. Young, full of energy, healthy, etc.

McCain in the last debate looked so pale with lipstick smudged. It shouldn't matter. But, it does.
  19. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,982 Messages
    262 Likes Received
    I'm all for a public financing system that gives equal amounts of money to both candidates and allows no outside groups to run ads on behalf of either candidate. No loopholes, no combined ad running, none of that. If it's all equal, I'm for it.

The problem is, it's not.
  20. ABQCOWBOY

35,050 Messages
    1,925 Likes Received
    Unfortunatly, the only one's who can change this are the ones who are making money off of it.

It's a real problem.