1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Oregon St. DT Stephen Pea named Pac-10 def player of the yr, will be going to Sr Bowl

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Dec 10, 2010.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    http://www.democratherald.com/sport...cle_0f36b428-82d8-5bb4-8a18-cdba69579228.html

[IMG]

Oregon State senior defensive tackle Stephen Paea was named the Pacific-10 Conference Defensive Player of the Year on Tuesday.

He was joined on the all-conference first team, voted on by the Pac-10 coaches, by junior running back Jacquizz Rodgers. Senior center Alex Linnenkohl was the only OSU player on the second team.

Rodgers is a three-time all-conference selection, the first ever for an OSU player. Paea is a two-time pick.

"I'm just glad Oregon State gave me the opportunity to play," Paea said. "I was surrounded by great coaches and had great teammates."

He recently received other important news. Paea was invited to the Jan. 29 Senior Bowl, an all-star postseason game for the top NFL prospects.

Practice during the week in Mobile, Ala., leading up to the game is a time for general managers and scouts to watch players up close and get to know them.
  2. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,190 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    I really hope we land him in April. Although he's built different, he reminds me of Jay Ratliff.
  3. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like Paea, but I'm not as sold on him as others are. He's a bit smaller of a DT and needs a lot of refinement with his technique. I don't see him as an early contributor. I'm not dead set against the guy either, but all things being equal, I think Tyson Alualu was a better prospect coming out last year from Cal.
  4. Manwiththeplan

5,190 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    Alualu imo is a tweener. Too short to be good 3-4 DE and not big enough to dominate inside as a 4-3 DT. Also way to small to play NT. Paea while shorter, is already bigger (Alualu was about 295 at the combine, Paea is 312 now).
  5. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    IDW, I don't think he's anymore of tweener than Jay Ratliff (6'4" 303 lbs). FWIW, Alualu is listed at 6'3" 304 for the Jaguars right now. Those are the kinds of guys Dallas likes in its 3-4 (or least did when Wade was here), as you know the Cowboys were very high on Alualu coming out and were surprised he got taken at #10.

JMO, but I'm not big on short squaty guys in a 3-4. I think those types are better suited for 4-3s ala Sedrick Ellis, Glenn Dorsey, et cetera...

Obviously, I'll defer to the Cowboy scouting department expertise though.
  6. Manwiththeplan

5,190 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    he measured in at 6'2 1/4 inch at the combine
  7. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,294 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    He'll be a great player for someone to get, I just don't think it'll be us.
  8. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2: