1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Our elected officials are dumb as dog doody

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by MilesAustinforMVP, Nov 23, 2008.

1. MilesAustinforMVP

MilesAustinforMVP Benched

782 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    US officials flunk test of Amerian history, economics, civics

[IMG]

ISI – US elected officials scored abysmally on a test measuring their civic knowledge, with an average grade …

WASHINGTON (AFP) – US elected officials scored abysmally on a test measuring their civic knowledge, with an average grade of just 44 percent, the group that organized the exam said Thursday.

Ordinary citizens did not fare much better, scoring just 49 percent correct on the 33 exam questions compiled by the Intercollegiate Studies Institute (ISI).

"It is disturbing enough that the general public failed ISI's civic literacy test, but when you consider the even more dismal scores of elected officials, you have to be concerned," said Josiah Bunting, chairman of the National Civic Literacy Board at ISI.

"How can political leaders make informed decisions if they don't understand the American experience?" he added.

The exam questions covered American history, the workings of the US government and economics.
    Among the questions asked of some 2,500 people who were randomly selected to take the test, including "self-identified elected officials," was one which asked respondents to "name two countries that were our enemies during World War II."

Sixty-nine percent of respondents correctly identified Germany and Japan. Among the incorrect answers were Britain, China, Russia, Canada, Mexico and Spain.

Forty percent of respondents, meanwhile, incorrectly believed that the US president has the power to declare war, while 54 percent correctly answered that that power rests with Congress.

Asked about the electoral college, 20 percent of elected officials incorrectly said it was established to "supervise the first televised presidential debates."

In fact, the system of choosing the US president via an indirect electoral college vote dates back some 220 years, to the US Constitution.

The question that received the fewest correct responses, just 16 percent, tested respondents' basic understanding of economic principles, asking why "free markets typically secure more economic prosperity than government's centralized planning?"

Activities that dull Americans' civic knowledge include talking on the phone and watching movies or television -- even news shows and documentaries, ISI said.

Meanwhile, civic knowledge is enhanced by discussing public affairs, taking part in civic activities and reading about current events and history, the group said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081120/od_afp/ushistoryeducationoffbeat
  2. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh...My...God.
  3. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Why is anyone surprised. I been saying this for weeks coming into the election that most of the people in office are not that smart
  4. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    That's it, i'm running for governor on my 30 birthday.
  5. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,455 Messages
    232 Likes Received
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,681 Messages
    1,622 Likes Received
    And its not like our school system teaches much anymore thats important.
    And don't even get into the media and hollywood (not that Hollywood has any real role nor should it). But the so called Main Stream Media is JUST as guility of dumbing things down as the schools are.
  7. VCDefectors

VCDefectors Benched

1,080 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This phenomenon should be called Palin Syndrome.
  8. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,681 Messages
    1,622 Likes Received
    Actually should be called what it is: Dumbing down of America; which started when you libs decided that teaching kids history and government was not important.
  10. MilesAustinforMVP

782 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No I think what you are referring to is conservatives wanting to teach religion in the classroom instead of science. You guys don't like those pesky scientific facts.
  11. Route 66

Route 66 Active Member

3,309 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Wow, you really are against certain groups of people aren't you? Let's all stare at rocks all day and hope they turn into living creatures. Better yet, let's get cases of Sea Monkeys into science classes nationwide and teach the kids that they came from sawdust.
  12. Aikbach

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Your venom for conservatism and Christianity is on par with being a secular Westboro member, congrats!

You are the first to abandon civility, resort to ad hominem but it is no surprise since by admission you are an amoral person and therefore to not distinguish between immoral and moral only your own personal code of "ethics" which you pretend was created independent of society, conscience or morality.

You are an arm chair Nietzche, you in the end don't know what you beleive nor why you beleive it though prayerfully unlike Nietzche you won't be driven into such despair by the logical conclusions of your worldview that you spend the last decade of your life in a mental asylum thinking you are the very being you spent your life hating, Christ.

Is that a convenient shred of history you didn't know about Nietzche?

You may declare God is dead my friend but you want to know is who actually dead? Nietzche, and since all is relative, the soul is not immortal, morality is cultural, ethics personal (and strangely devoid of morality) it is a waste of time to adhere to the philosophies of a dead sap just like we'll all soon be because no knowledge is of intrinsic value and points to no salvation be it earthly or heavenly so why bother?

Science is rendered impotent if it achieves nothing but knowledge for the sake of knowledge, why force knowledge upon people? Why is that any different than forcing religion on people if you are consistent with your worldview, you sir are the ultimate hypocrite and you've fooled yourself into thinking you have wisdom.
  13. MilesAustinforMVP

782 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No I didn't look at the burmafrd post I quoted. I don't throw the first punch but I will throw the last.

You make all these assumptions; it just shows your ignorance. You don't have to believe in religion to have a belief system. I believe in the principles of America, which are the universal principles of the Enlightenment; the foundation for our country. I believe in living in an ethical society; not a bigoted one that divides people along religious and cultural lines. That is my belief system. The lesson here is don't assume because when you assume you make an *** out of you and me.
  14. Aikbach

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    You believe these beliefs are created in a vacuum? You are a poor student of history and philosophy then and need not ever complain about someone else's education, how can you ever declare an opposing view wrong when you don't have the substance to make a judgment call because you are amoral and a relativist, doesn't make sense and you need to reconcile to that fact because you don't really adhere to your own rhetoric.

I notice you never qualify your beliefs beyond platitudes, ones that are easily countered and only cause more inquiry that you fail to acknowledge.

Bigotry is a moral judgment, not ascertained by the scientific method, which is your absolute standard of judging the world around you.
    Which is humorous because it involves making absolutions and judgments and by nature hypothesis' requires an assumption to be tested.

So there you go by your own standards judging, making absolutions and assuming.

The most humorous assumption as well as sad one is that you assume man is the end all judge of the universe around him, that his basic five senses are the final judge of what is and isn't, that he is autonomous and unaccountable to anything but himself.

That sir is a leap of faith, that sir is full of assumption, the assumption that nothing outside of ourselves can judge us, the asinine assumption that this mysterious grandeur of the universe can be classified and known fully only to us and must operate within the paradigms we create to understand it.

But please continue with your bumper sticker phrases, I'm sure someone thinks they're cheeky and cute.
  15. MilesAustinforMVP

782 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have no problem with teaching opposing views. As long as they have a factual basis. I don't believe in teaching our children ignorance. And I make judgment calls based on ethics. You don't need to have morals to make a judgment call; in fact it is preferable that you don't.

Moreover, bigotry is an ethical judgment. You seem unwilling to believe or purposefully ignore that there is something else that can govern someones actions besides morals, namely ethics. Maybe because if there was another system of beliefs other than religion that would destroy your whole argument, because the religious institutions try to force people to believe in religion by telling them there is no other ways. Well there is another way; it is called ethics.

And I have not assigned a hard cold truth to the universe. I don't know. It is only you religious people who claim to know everything. You claim to know there is a god and he had a son, and it is this god who controls everything. You are the only one here that claims to know about the mysteries of the universe.

I believe in science. I believe in the pursuit of knowledge. And when science debunks a religious myth, namely creationism (like proving that the earth is billions of years old and dinosaurs and humans didn't exist at the same time), I will put my belief in that. I won't put my belief in ignorance and teaching debunked mythology in a science classroom.
  16. Aikbach

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    You have not qualified ethics, you've placed it on a pedestal and acted as if it were supreme and autonomous and have given no credence to its origin, in fact by every indication you seem to indicate it is personal in genesis.

You are the one forcing a believe system intolerant of others, as far as me declaring myself the final authority of the universe, nay I never have, I declare there is great evidence of a creator and I am not him.

You arrogantly say you know there is no creator, that you know how the universe came to be and that your own methods of ascertaining said knowledge are indisputable, your methodology beyond reproach despite that time and time again science brings forth more questions instead of solving them.

Stephen Hawking even suggested "Science can often explain the how but we must leave it to God to explain the why."

What you fail to acknowledge because of your poor presuppositions is human nature, you think man is capable of neutrality, that he can live void of morality and conscience and so your misuse the term ethics to try and justify your own version of this phenomenon.

Every man worships something my friend, be it the God of the Bible or the man in the mirror, you do bow at the altar of something whether you like it or not.

Since you have placed your faith in humanity we see all sorts of manifestations of that fact from science being the chief authority of the human condition, to government being the means of societal salvation (thus your displeasure when the priests of this humanist church are men like George W. Bush and don't adhere to your doctrines).

In the end you are a very religious man, you just prefer that the god be you.
  17. MilesAustinforMVP

782 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I never said there is no creator. Please point that out to me where I said that. I think it is extremely unlikely though that there is one based on all the facts. See that is how I make judgments based on facts and ethics. But if there was verifiable evidence that god exists I will be the first to jump on that bandwagon. However, you are the one that is talking in absolutes. You KNOW that there is a god. So point that finger in the opposite direction.

And to clarify once again ethics is basically that you shouldn't offend someone within reason. That is what I base my judgment on.

And I don't believe that I'm all powerful. In fact I don't believe that anything is all powerful. It makes it easier for you to rationalize believing in an unproven all powerful entity by saying those who don't unquestioningly believe in an all powerful being as well, which you said was me. I don't. But if it makes you feel better go on believing that.

And I do worship something. The principles of our country: EQUALITY, liberty, and justice.
  18. Aikbach

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    More assuming, judging and moralism, my boy ye have not learned.
  19. MilesAustinforMVP

782 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have not learned all that there is, although I am trying to put a dent in that. It is a far cry from religion, which refuses to learn.
  20. Aikbach

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Another platitude lined with a barb, this must be tolerance in action.

Again, by your own admission you can not appeal to moralism or absolutes so you have no virtues to fall back on and really have caused yourself a dilemma because you are trying to declare moralistic arguments and make judgment calls which can't be done in the framework of the worldview you've established for yourself.

Just admit you can't do it and then you can call people a bigot free of some of your hipocrisy.