1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Our front seven...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Portland Fanatic, May 1, 2006.

1. Portland Fanatic

Portland Fanatic Active Member

4,459 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Think about the players/rotation/depth we now have in the front seven:

DE
    Ellis
    Spears
    Canty
    Ratliff
    Hatcher
    Coleman (if he stays)

NT
    Fergy
    Stanley

LB
    Ware
    James
    Ayodele
    Carpenter
    Burnett
    Shanle
    Fowler
    "Rocky"
    Parham
    Singleton
    Thornton

:cheers: :beer1: :toast2:
  2. DragonCowboy

DragonCowboy Well-Known Member

5,421 Messages
    136 Likes Received
    Don't forget Pepper Johnson NT
  3. hendog

hendog Well-Known Member

2,097 Messages
    26 Likes Received
  4. NorTex

NorTex Well-Known Member

1,012 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    If only we could get Willie Blade and Marcelius Wiley back....:lmao2:
  5. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Personally, I think Ellis will be gone before it's all said and done with.
  6. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received

That is funny......:laugh2: :(
  7. Portland Fanatic

Portland Fanatic Active Member

4,459 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If Hatcher shows some promise in the pre-season it's very possible. If we trade him it better be for a top olineman!
  8. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

4,968 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    I'll tell you what, we're not going to have to worry about linemen getting tired. We may finally have the depth along the line that Parcells desires.

And young, seemingly talented, depth at that.
  9. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,080 Messages
    807 Likes Received
    Our Defense is gonna really be cooking ..... I bet Cambell is looking at the roster and thinking ......WOW
  10. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I think that for the very first time since he got here, Parcells can look over his practice field and finally see a defense he really likes. No more uncomfortable undersized speed-based 43, no more completely new 34 scheme with too many rookies, no more 43 players shoehorned into spots they really don't fit (e.g. Al Singleton), no more praying for good health because we have zero depth in the front seven.

Pretty cool. :)
  11. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sorry but Ellis is safe this year Coleman is going to be out of here.

Pepper and Ratliff will be on the bubble unless a trade comes along for Ellis
  12. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Notice you include Parham. Cowboys are probably hoping he can play against the run and cover the pass but I saw an evaluation of him which said he lacked the speed to cover in the passing game but was great against the run. We've already got 2 players (Fowler & Shanle) who half players; meaning Fowler's good against the run & Shanle's good in the passing game. So unless Parham has more to offer then Fowler, then Parham probably won't make the team although he could make the PS.
  13. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't see Stanley's signing as any threat to Johnson at all; last year we carried 3 NTs (Ferguson/Glover/Johnson) and, since it a very physically demanding job, I expect us to carry 3 guys players again. In fact wouldn't be surprised if Johnson is primary backukp behind Ferguson at least part of this year cause Stanley will take time to learn how to play the position and become familiar enough with the 3-4 to play NT in this system.

Also don't see Hatcher's signing as a threat to Ratliff because I'm thinking Hatcher is Ellis' replacement/successor; I expect this to be Ellis last year with the Cowboys if Hatcher begins to develop. Also don't expect Coleman to make the team this year. He started out in 05 as the starter but as Spears came on we saw less and less until he essentially disappeared. In fact Ratliff even beat Coleman out as Spear's backup until he got hurt.
  14. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,546 Messages
    824 Likes Received
    Our line will likely be:

Spears, Ferguson, Canty starting.

Ratliff/Hatcher, Johnson/Stanley, Ellis in reserve.

I think we'll keep those 8, because we will play a lot of nickel.

LB will likely be:

Carpenter, James, Ayodele, Ware starting.

Singleton, Boiman, Fowler, Burnett...with Burnett as Ware's main back up, and getting looks inside.

Parham, Shanle and Thornton will be competing for the 9th LB spot, if we keep 9, Boiman and Burnett's versatility may allow us to go with 8.

Nickel will likely be:

Ellis, Ratliff, Canty, Ware

Carpenter and Burnett
  15. NorTex

NorTex Well-Known Member

1,012 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    Don't be surprised if Burnett spends the first half of the season on PUP (physically unable to perform).

So either Parham, Shanle or Thornton will start the season on the 53 man roster.
  16. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I thought they might consider dealing him over the weekend if they could have got something of value (say, 2nd rd pick) but since they didnt deal him then, I doubt very seriously he is going anywhere

he is too good of a player to simply let go of and he is a bargain in terms of cap charge...he'll be here at least another year

David
  17. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    Someone has to go to the practice squad
  18. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I'll get psyched when I see these guys actually make the team. :)
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,009 Messages
    7,756 Likes Received
    I agree. He'll be here this year, and then traded to a contending team for a 3rd/equivalent player next off season.
  20. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,451 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    I still think Al Singleton makes the team and prolly starts early in the season.