1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Our GM Evaluates Livings/Bernadeau

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by superpunk, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,776 Messages
    10,076 Likes Received
    I think people question how often he's getting overruled by the GM. That's probably what saves him from more criticism.

I certainly don't see anything from his resume that screams personnel guru to me. He's a question mark. But Jerry's an exclamation point.
  2. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,282 Messages
    710 Likes Received
    I am going to save this post for posterity.
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,065 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    This isn't a surprise coming from Jerry

Every single year for the past 5 years we've gone through this process. Romo gets killed during the year. We all cry about how bad our OL is. Then the offseason starts and the shiny objects in the draft wipe our memory clean and suddenly, the OL wasn't so bad.

It's frustrating, but it's happening again. Now that we've switched to a 4-3, we need a DT and/or a DE, oh and a safety too. So once again, our biggest need will be put aside so we can a guy who can sell jerseys
  4. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    Who do you want to hit you?
  5. speedkilz88

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    Free (4th) and Marten (3rd) were taken the same year.
  6. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I don't think Jerry is overruling anyone in order to draft David Arkin of the Ozarks.
  7. jgboys1

jgboys1 Well-Known Member

3,858 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    The only thing our "GM" should be evaluating is if there is enough vodka in his drink.:drunk:
  8. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,282 Messages
    710 Likes Received
    I just heard Norm decimate Jerry ,he basically said Garrett will get fired next year if we dont improve on 8-8 even though Jerry never acknowledges the main culprit which is terrible o-line play and more than 10 guards in the last 2 years.
  9. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,672 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Get a stud G, and this unit would look better. And hope like hell Parnell can man the RT position, if they do release Free.
  10. speedkilz88

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    (Sorry I misread your post)
    I think I would prefer a stud G to play LG next to Smith so they can run that way consistently. Like the Adams and Allen days.
  11. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,776 Messages
    10,076 Likes Received
    I don't think so either. But there's no telling what OL we didn't select that maybe Ciskowski would have. He's not making picks.

Maybe he wouldn't have packaged picks for Claiborne. Maybe he would have taken a guy like Cordy Glenn but the powers that be overruled him. I'm not saying it happened, we just don't know. He's the assistant director of personnel. His job is to assemble the information and stack the board. Without seeing our board every year we can't possibly know that he and his scouts routinely miss on OL evaluations.

The late round selections is a good case against him. I just don't know if there aren't some positives that have been hidden because he's at best the 4th loudest voice in the room.
  12. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Twist: There never is.
  13. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I think the Claiborne thing was pretty clear. We had him as a great player on our board. Our scouts think he is a good corner, long arms, good height with Ed Reed type ball skills. I think they saw him cover Julio Jones one on one and perhaps AJ Green and they were sold.

From their perspective they were paying a less than 6th pick price for their #2 player. It is a risk because of injury and overvaluation. If it turns out like Dez then great, but we will see.

As it applies to this draft, I'd love to see us trade back if we are taking a guard center or plugger type dt. I just think that I'd rather have 2 second round or a second an third round interior lineman than 1 great lineman for this team. If it were a passrusher or qb? No. But we need numbers now because we are surprisingly solid at the premium positions for a .500 team.

If Spencer is gone I'd take a pass rusher if there is one of value on our board.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    wow. Just wow.
  15. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,104 Messages
    1,343 Likes Received
    Please do.
  16. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    RB?
    TE/WR?

ROFL
  17. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,468 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    Actually, I believe Ryan Cook graded out higher at his position than either guard, but that's not saying a lot.

To me, the line did show marked improvement, which should have been expected since we entered the offseason with two new guards and the tackles switching sides then lost the expected starting center.

However, as with every position on this team, Dallas needs to be looking for more. Bernadeau and Costa need to be seen as stopgaps while the team looks for actually stars at those spots. Right tackle needs to be fixed, which to me would be giving Parnell a chance WITH quality competition facing him. Cook is a fine backup/fill-in, but this team needs at least three new linemen to add to the mix, and at least one of them needs to be a clear upgrade at C, RG or RT.

Obviously, we'd all like All-Pro-caliber guys at those spots, but incremental progress is probably the best we can hope for.
  18. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,279 Messages
    2,469 Likes Received
    Well, I'm sold!

Bryan Broaddus seems to think the main problems on the offensive line were at center due to injuries and right tackle due to Free's general suckage.

If Costa is as good as you say, it would certainly be a boost. Still need a right tackle, though.
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,024 Messages
    7,761 Likes Received
    That's news to me, but he did definitely need some time to come up to speed in pass protection. He was really limiting in the running game, though.
  20. Ultimategamer5567

Ultimategamer5567 Member

824 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    One man's trash is another man's treasure, I guess. In this case, the trash is only treasure to the ignorant GM.