1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Our terrible drafts have put us here

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CyberB0b, Nov 11, 2013.

1. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Claiborne and Crawford give you nothing right now because they are hurt.

There is a difference between depth and quality depth. Wilbur and Hanna are below average players, depth by default. You and I could provide depth. Being on the roster qualifies as depth, doesnt mean you are good enough to make a difference.
    Common Sense and Doomsay like this.
  2. movaughn88

movaughn88 Active Member

103 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    I want to be on your side and I am - the drafts for talent have been good. But look where they are. Perimeter postions for the most part. Ok yes we have built our O line, but our D line is a waste. Wilbur doesn't count. Mo has NOT been a shutdown which is what you expect when you draft someone that high. Now I'm left with Selvie being one of my favorite players.
  3. funkytown

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    And that is the problem with our drafts. The production of our picks do not merit their draft selections. They underachieve. When you trade up to the top 10, give up a 2nd rounder, that player needs to be elite. Especially by his 2nd season. Claiborne is not, and I dont think he ever will be. Could he end up being an average starter for the next years
  4. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,453 Messages
    1,379 Likes Received
    Yes, you get it. It's pretty sad with all that we have invested on the defense in draft and FA dollars that Barry Church and George Selvie are the beacons of hope, while guys like Sean Lee get hurt, Bruce Carter loafs around and gets benched for Ernie Sims off the scrap heap, and Mo Claiborne sucks when he isn't injured.
  5. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,944 Messages
    560 Likes Received
    I think they went after Escobar because of his size and the potential damage he can do with this offense. He gives Romo a bigger target. I don't think his draft position had anything to do with Hanna. Two different type of tight ends.

Oh I don't either. I also don't expect a 2nd year cornerback to be a "elite" player though. Low expectations on my part I guess.

I agree with you but at the same time you don't become a shutdown corner in your 1st or 2nd year as a cornerback. It does take time. Time we may not have but that's the risk you take when you draft corners that high.

Well it sounds like you expect pro bowlers at backup spots as well. Backups in this league are goign to be average to below average players. What they contribute to you is whatever your positional coaches get out of those guys.
  6. rocyaice

5,944 Messages
    560 Likes Received
    Bruce Carter should've never been benched for Ernie Sims. Bruce Carter was used as a scapegoat for a terrible defense and was used to set an example for the rest of the younger guys. But make no mistake Ernie Sims was not outplaying Bruce. He was playing well enough to warrant more playing time and it failed miserably and it proved he was inferior to Bruce Carter.
    Falcon554 likes this.
  7. CyberB0b

3,453 Messages
    1,379 Likes Received
    Did you see him play tonight? There was a complete lack of effort. If they weren't down to their #4 and #5 LBs, he would have been benched again.
    Falcon554 likes this.
  8. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasin Zone Supporter

3,260 Messages
    1,260 Likes Received
    Agree with this, but do we really want to accept the worst coach in NFL to COMPLIMENT this crap of talent? Yes it can be both, crap coaching on top of crap talent. But if you have a decent QB and decent weapons, you can win in this new Arena style league.
  9. CyberB0b

3,453 Messages
    1,379 Likes Received
    He has his fingerprints all over these drafts, so he is responsible, along with Owner/President/GM Falseface.
    BigStar likes this.
  10. rocyaice

5,944 Messages
    560 Likes Received
    I saw him play tonight. He was as bad as Romo was at quarterback, as bad as Dez was at receiver....I didn't get the impression he was loafing around. You might have to give me those plays because the only real bad play I saw him make was the "horse collar" that wasn't even a horse collar.
    BigStar likes this.
  11. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

9,857 Messages
    544 Likes Received
    No, it really hasn't. We are 25th in rushing in the league. Romo still has barely a few seconds to throw, particularly without Waters. Free has gone from Rob Pettiti levels to "not a fire hydrant." He still has too many penalties.

Smith is improving and Fredrick has been better than could be expected. Other than that, this is still not not a quality OL by any measure.

Who after the first 4 were good? Ware, Rat, Hatcher and Spencer could be considered a good, even above average line. Who was here after that? What was the rotation? Selvie et al are being exposed with more playing time, and what DL worth a darn were here after them?
  12. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasin Zone Supporter

3,260 Messages
    1,260 Likes Received
    Carter was over aggressive and missing tackles but he wasn't waffling. Maybe winded?
    rocyaice likes this.
  13. CyberB0b

3,453 Messages
    1,379 Likes Received
    About 11:00 left in the 4th. That whole drive. He basically walked into the full back every play.
  14. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

652 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Outside of 2010 you name 2 players and dismiss the entire draft you know there are 7 rounds right?
  15. CyberB0b

3,453 Messages
    1,379 Likes Received
    You don't even realize it, but you just proved my point. I didn't list them because they aren't on the team anymore, probably out of the league.

2012:
    Mo
    Crawford
    Wilber
    Johnson
    Coale

Hanna
    McSurdy

2011:
    Smith
    Carter
    Murray
    Arkin
    Thomas

Harris
    Chapas
    Nagy

2010:
    Dez
    Lee
    AOA
    Young
    Wall
    Lissemore
    BigStar and Zordon like this.
  16. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

652 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Bass, Crawford, hayden, Brent, Vega and Wilbur were the young guys we drafted in case of injures we just had too many to overcome
  17. CyberB0b

3,453 Messages
    1,379 Likes Received
    Only 3 of those guys were drafted, and 1 of them was taken in the supplemental.
  18. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

652 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    no team hits on every pic you can get production out of half you're picks thats good. We're not there but close. Injured player's are our downfall
  19. rocyaice

5,944 Messages
    560 Likes Received
    That's more along the lines of what I was seeing. A winded guy. The defense was out there for a long time.
  20. funkytown

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    No of course I dont expect pro bowlers at backup spots. My point is that as a mid to late round draft pick, you should provide quality depth for your team. Not be hurt. Not get cut from the team. Not get on the field and play like crap. If you are backup and the starter gets hurts, you should step up and make some plays. You dont have to play at a probowl level, but some backups end up doing that. Ours dont. Except for our undrafted guys like Miles, Romo, Church, Leary, and a few others.