1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Our Worst O-Lineman This Year

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by FiveRings, Sep 24, 2013.

1. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,413 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    Great article. Smith has been left alone a ton with some fantastic pass rushers and has more than held his own. The OP is completely off-base here, which is unsurprising since he proffered a radical opinion without any sort of facts to back it up.
  2. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,162 Messages
    1,792 Likes Received

i have been as critical of our OL as anyone but I dont agree
    tyron has been playing really well
    remember that he is going up against the opposition's best pass rusher every week with little help
  3. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,622 Messages
    636 Likes Received
    Are you even watching the games?

Tyron is our 2nd best O-Lineman right now, behind Free. Although Free gets entirely much more help than Tyron. The worst is Bernie who is awful, but seems to know his assignments. It's just a case of if he falls over by himself or gets knocked over by a defender.

YR
    tantrix1969 and visionary like this.
  4. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,265 Messages
    2,827 Likes Received
    I knew he was missing something.
    visionary likes this.
  5. tantrix1969

tantrix1969 Well-Known Member

849 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,996 Messages
    1,569 Likes Received
    Bernardeau is the one who concerns me but this last game I thought he did well but even more important is the OL played as single unit. I really enjoyed watching this group working in unison it is something we don't see very often. My hope if the more games they get under their belts together the more cohesion there will be along the front line
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,684 Messages
    1,132 Likes Received
    I can't recall a thread where more people said the same thing over and over again lol
    CaptainCreed likes this.
  8. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

718 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    He is by a long shot our best offensive lineman, he plays the other teams best consistently. This is his 3rd year and he's 22 years old so the kid is going to be a STUD for a very long time. Haven't even began to scratch the surface of what this kid is going to do in the league either. Looks like he will be a pro bowl caliber player this year and probably the next 10 years after that. Sorry if I'm getting carried away, I'm just very excited about him and the whole offensive line really, Smith is 22, Leary is 24, Fredricks is 21 and Free is 29 still has a few years left in his athletic prime. I've been waiting for this as a Cowboys fan for years, and none of you better rain on my parade.
  9. hlh_8728

hlh_8728 Member

155 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Free
    Tyron
    Fred
    Waters
    Leary
    Mack

That is the order from top to bottom from our line so far. Tyron might actually be #1 when you consider he gets much less help and often faces the better rusher. Waters will also likely jump over Fredrick as he gets more PT and gets into shape (not to knock Fred, but he has made some rookie mistakes)
  10. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,215 Messages
    1,292 Likes Received
    Tyron draws the toughest assignment generally. He's playing fine, and will only get better.

Bernadeau is the only one that looks overmatched. Leary gets beat, but I think that's more about experience than anything.

I'm amazed at Frederick. What a terrific draft pick.
  11. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,338 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    i beleive he was talkng about the starters. that would'nt include bernie, arkin and company. smith has the hardest job and probably will statistically be the worse oline guy. if you look at PFF tackles are always lower than guards because they have the hardest job and have to face some of the best players. i don't think he meant smith was playing bad, just that the others are playing very well. free has been very good so far.other than the game against poe fred has been very good.
  12. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,413 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    Um, considering Bern has started every game, I think it's fair to consider him a "starter."
    TheXFactor likes this.
  13. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

1,969 Messages
    276 Likes Received
    I'm sure glad Jerry didn't listen to the Zone Scouts and Coaches about Free this offseason...
  14. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,974 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    Based on PFF ratings -- Free is best. They certainly don't take into account difficulty though. Tyron is developing into a guy you can leave on an island all game. That is huge.
  15. Yakuza Rich

11,622 Messages
    636 Likes Received
    I don't hate PFF as much as some people here do. However, I find their ratings fairly consistent which is what is important when it comes to judgment grades. But, I just don't know how somebody can watch games and think Tyron is the worst, particularly compared to Bernie...and do it with a straight face. It's like saying that Alex Tanney is the best QB on the team.

YR
  16. Yakuza Rich

11,622 Messages
    636 Likes Received
    True. But, it was not like the team's thoughts were completely the opposite of what people here thought. They were all prepared to cut Free if he didn't take a pay cut.

I think the real story here is that we have to give the organization some due...they finally held a player accountable and drew a hard stance against a player's play. They started rotating Free last year with Parnell because of Free's poor play. And then they took a hard stance and forced Free to take a pay cut or they were going to move on without him. When they rotated him, his play improved. Then when he took the pay cut, his play even got better.

I think the motivation combined with the moving to RT probably hurt his performance. Now with the proper motivation and another year getting comfortable at RT, his play has greatly improved.

YR
    starfrombirth likes this.
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,996 Messages
    1,569 Likes Received
    Just think Free can be an all pro is we cut his pay again after this season. lol
  18. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,974 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    I think what happens is people get stuck on one or two plays.

Or they might just have no idea what they are looking at. For example, Smith's guy might get past him and eventually force Romo out of the pocket. That isn't necessarily Smith doing a bad job - it could be that he's forced his guy to take a very wide path around him and that Tony is simply holding the ball really long because there is good coverage and he's waiting for something to develop. Not a bad play, but folks will call it one
  19. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,038 Messages
    442 Likes Received
    Isn't Tyron like 12 years old.... Wait until he hits football puberty

Lol
  20. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,199 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    Right now Tyron Smith is a good NFL left tackle. Nothing more, nothing less, and that isn't a knock on him. For some reason people think left tackles need to be graded as All Pros or Busts.