1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Our Worst O-Lineman This Year

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by FiveRings, Sep 24, 2013.

1. LurkingCowboy

LurkingCowboy New Member

8 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If Tyron is our worst offensive lineman, then we are in really good shape on the o-line.
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,956 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    Rank order.
    Tyron
    Free
    Fred
    Leary
    Berny

So it is not possible for the OP to further off.
    :)
  3. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,639 Messages
    646 Likes Received
    Or they expect a pancake block and then to maul the linebackers on the 2nd level. It usually doesn't happen that way. More often than not you try to get an advantage on the first block and hopefully he gets in the way on the 2nd level and then if the running back makes a play...we'll get big yardage. If the linebacker makes the play, there won't be a big run.

Or the fact that the majority of carries in the NFL are for 1, 2 or 3 yards. The better RB's tend to bust more big runs to get their average ypc to 4.0+. Yet when we get a 2 yard carry, everybody blames the blocking and the RB instead of understanding that is what you will typically get.

YR
  4. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,759 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    That was my point. It's very clear to me that none of you read my thread, instead just saw the title, saw Smith's name mentioned, and freaked out. I specifically said Bernadeau was NOT being accounted for. Why? Because to me, he's not part of our starting five, just a fill in until Waters can play every snap. I ALSO said Tyron has played well this season, but relative to Free,Fred, Leary and what little we've seen from Waters, he comes out last IMO.

Basically, Tyron is the poorest billionaire, amongst a group of five billionaires.
  5. Matts4313

Matts4313 Active Member

272 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    I understood what you meant, but your still wrong. smith has placed the toughest competition with the least help. if you are excluding berny, its probably Fredrick who has had the worst play. I think he has given up 3 of romos 6 sacks.
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,951 Messages
    1,704 Likes Received
    "I'm not going to count the real worst lineman, instead I'll substitute in the guy who's played a couple series".
  7. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,867 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    If you ignore matchups, and how much help we give to one side versus the other, I'd actually rank the o-line as

Free
    Smith
    Frederick
    Leary
    Waters (by default b/c Bernadeau has been so bad)
    Bernadeau

But if you consider everything I'd said to ignore, then Smith is slightly above Free.
  8. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,686 Messages
    354 Likes Received
    The exception to this, to some extent, is Colombo. He may have been on the decline due to injuries but he was never unmotivated. I would love to have him as an assistant line coach. Could you imagine some of these guys trying to slack off with him on the staff?
  9. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    How many sacks/pressures has he allowed so far this season?
  10. Texan_Eph89

Texan_Eph89 Well-Known Member

1,049 Messages
    35 Likes Received
  11. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,205 Messages
    748 Likes Received
    According to ProFootballFocus, 27 players have played 3 games at Left Tackle this year like Tyron has

He has given up:
    0 Sacks (Of 27 LTs that has him in a 9-way tie for 1st)
    2 QB Hits (Of 27 LTs that has him in a 3-way tie for 18th)
    6 QB Hurries (Of 27 LTs that has him in a 5-way tie for 9th)

According to their grades, he's 15th out of 27 overall, 12th overall for pass blocking, 10th overall for screen blocking, 12th overall for run blocking, and 11th overall for a penalty grade.
  12. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Thanks for the info, Nation.

So after playing on an island against 3 of the best pass rushers in the NFL today, he's given up 0 sacks and only 2 QB hits.

I'd say he's one of the top LT's in the league so far given that information..
  13. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,146 Messages
    1,029 Likes Received
    Agreed. Colombo always gave great effort. I was speaking more of other players and the team having no alternatives.
  14. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,401 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    Tyron has not been the MVP-caliber player he predicted he'd be. But neither has he been THAT bad.
    He is a work in progress and I am sure he will not disappoint in the end.
  15. DuceizBak

DuceizBak Active Member

424 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    we should cut dan bailey and sign Cundiff
    TheXFactor likes this.
  16. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,869 Messages
    862 Likes Received
    Smith has been up and down but mostly UP. He was VERY good versus Quinn.

The Bern/Waters duo has been our worst OL slot. Fred had one really poor week obviously but was solid otherwise.
    Leary's youth showed a bit week 1 but he has settled down.

Free has been outstanding after last year's season as a turnstile.

Our OL as a whole looks like it could be a strength this year. Imagine that.

Tyron Smith is probably not a top 10 LT yet but every team in football would kill for this kid. He's a baby and in that 2nd 10 somewhere already and very well could be top 10 by season's end.
    Athletically he has very few peers on earth. He just needs experience and technique work. Something he gains each play.
    Having him is like drafting Witten. Getting that production at that age means team history being made.