1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Out of Place and Unnecessary Rueage Thread... JJ Watt over Tyron Smith

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Erik_H, Jan 6, 2013.

1. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I had concerns about Tyron before they drafted them. I thought that I was wrong about him after last year, but the concerns that I had showed up this year. I still think he needs to get bigger to reach his full potential.

I wasn't too big of a Watt fan, but he has turned out to be great.

My first choice in that draft was to trade back. I still wish they would have. On a do-over I would choose Watt. That is not to say that Tyron can't be great in the future.
  2. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,315 Messages
    2,153 Likes Received
    I'll sign that, darlin'!!
  3. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,490 Messages
    983 Likes Received
    I love JJ Watt as a player, but if both play out to their potential I'd prefer having an All Pro left tackle over the greatest 3-4 defensive end of all time. Positional values and whatnot.
  4. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,315 Messages
    2,153 Likes Received
    Here is the question.

With Watt and Ware, would Dallas have had to trade up to get Clai?

Another way to look at it.

If Dallas did trade up, could they have given less, moved up less and got another offensive lineman or nose tackle if they had Watt?
    Or, what would this team look like with Watt, Clai, Carr, Ware, Lee, Bruce and the rest?

I am happy with Smith. But there could have been a whole different draft last season had Watt been doing here was he is doing there.
  5. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,150 Messages
    2,673 Likes Received
    Yea, hindsight is 20/20 as they say, however...........

Anybody saying they would not trade Tyron for Watts straight up if given the chance is either lying or doesnt know the game.

Watt is just special, possibly the best 34 DE that there ever has been. Tyron Smith is solid, but he is not possibly the best LT that there ever has been.
  6. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,274 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    We shouldn't even have to feel that bad anymore...Watt is becoming an all-time great player that the other 10 teams could rue too.

If we did a redraft, I think the 2011 Top-5 would look like this:

1. Watt
    2. Newton
    3. Von Miller
    4. Aldon Smith
    5. AJ Green

Tyron will really have to be dominant at LT if we're just comparing player to player. And making the Pro Bowl/All-Pro won't be easy with Russell Okung around too. He was fantastic today...didn't let anyone come close to Wilson
  7. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,182 Messages
    5,664 Likes Received
    ugh this post hurts.

you're right, mistakes in past drafts have forced us to draft for severe needs instead of luxury. watt would have been a beautiful luxury pick if we had already sured up the oline.
  8. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,079 Messages
    776 Likes Received
    My only problem with Tyron was always drafting a guy at a LT slot who had never actually played LT in college.

His play this year at LT was not encouraging along those lines.

He may very well wind up a very over-drafted RT when all is said and done. Which only hurts more when you look at the JJ Watt angle of everything.
  9. Leadbelly

Leadbelly Well-Known Member

706 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    Won't rue this one, even if all Tyron turns out to be is 'good'. It's always easy for a team to talk themselves out of OL until it's too obvious and cannot be ignored. But then it's too late and everyone gets fired...unless your GM is also the owner.

Also, I thought Watt would be good, but nowhere near awesome. What makes Watt a 20 sack guy while other 3-4 DEs of similar size and athleticism are more like 6 or 8 sack guys? Richard Seymour never had more than 8.

It's not just sacks...he defensed more passes than each of our starting CBs and had 80 tackles. And he started out at Western Michigan as a TE.
  10. Avenging Hayseed

Avenging Hayseed Interwebs fooseball expert

2,262 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Watt...WATT!!!! WATTTTTTT!

Not Watts! How long can it take to finally learn a name ? :D

No S at the end.
  11. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,455 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    What's a "JJ Watts?"

A new Duracell battery?
  12. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,503 Messages
    589 Likes Received
    I wanted Watt, not ashamed to admit it. Possibly the only time I ever made and posted a serious mock draft. Having said that, we would have either missed out on Tyron (our only above average lineman at this point) or Bruce Carter if we had gone for o-line in the second (I think I mocked Wisneiwski to us in round 2). At the end of the day there would still be holes and I really, really like Carter so there is no rueage at this point.
  13. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,830 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    Last night they said something I didn't know that reinforced my opinion that we were going in the right direction personnel wise. The first pick by both Caroll and Shanahan was left tackle and they are both solid starters. When Parcells first came in the first thing he did was had Jerry give flozell a contract extension. A blue chip left tackle seems to be a key ingredient to a good offensive unit. Much like good cover corners are on defense.
  14. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,859 Messages
    2,082 Likes Received
    Unless you're the team that hits the homerun in the draft then you could do this every year.
  15. fivetwos

fivetwos Member

121 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Is JJ Watts related to Keith Brookings?
  16. bounce

bounce Active Member

714 Messages
    217 Likes Received
    Tyron Smith, when he came into the league, was the youngest player in the NFL. Give him time to develop. He was amazing as a rookie. If he is what he could be, the left side will be locked up for our next three QBs.

Watt outplayed his draft spot, by far. Texans fans were not happy at all with the pick when it happened, so counting it as a 'miss' is misguided.
  17. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,859 Messages
    2,082 Likes Received

Watt was a 3-4 DE and Tyron was a potential stud Left Tackle. The Cowboys did the logical thing.

I don't worry about Tyron a lot because he's an extremely hard worker, he's young, and he's got some of the best feet you'll see at his position.
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    stupid to even talk about it. Our desperate need for tackle meant that Tyron was going to be the pick. Watt looked good but Tyron looked special.

Given the same facts any good GM would make the same decision. We got lucky for once
  19. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,045 Messages
    464 Likes Received
    JJ Watt is a great player.

Tyron Smith was the correct pick.

Don't we have a ton of other "misses" where we could say, "Hey, we'd have been better off with so-so?"
  20. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,993 Messages
    1,766 Likes Received
    For the past year or so I keep reading how Tyron Smith was "amazing" his rookie year. I've even heard he played at an All-Pro Caliber.

IMHO, he played "good" for a rookie RT -- nothing more than that. I believe he gave up 8 sacks which is not great.

I thought he played "OK" this year at LT. I know PFF has him on the bottom 3rd of tackles in the NFL, however, I believe he played better than that overall -- but not great.

I know he is young, however, the Cowboys make a very big investment in the guy. Next year, he HAS to begin fulfilling his All-Pro potential or you could look back and say he wasn't deserving of being a top 10 draft pick.