1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Out of the box defensive strategies

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by zack, Dec 28, 2012.

1. zack

zack Well-Known Member

2,103 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    How about moving Jenkins to Clairbornes spot and having Claiborne spy and attack Griffin. Athlete on athlete. Anyone else got ideas?
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,765 Messages
    1,968 Likes Received
    I think we just need to play a lot like we did in the Mike Zimmer days. Bend but dont break. We even did a lot of this when Garrett first hired on.

On Offense we need to attack. No more slow paced offense. It's time to let it all hang out and play to win.
  3. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,722 Messages
    1,578 Likes Received
    Play the CBs at Safety
    Plays the Safeties at CB
    Play the LBs at DL.
    Play the DL at LB.

Ready, Break!

:)
  4. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,243 Messages
    2,876 Likes Received
    With all the new guys getting snaps on defense the last thing Ryan is going to do is something that he hasn't done for most of the season.

And effectively making Mo a "spy" would have a big impact on other defensive players which will lead to break-downs.
  5. PAINFROMUKRAINE

PAINFROMUKRAINE Active Member

191 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    No shoulder tackling. Tackle by wrapping your arms around the player carrying the ball. This is my biggest issue with the defense this year.
  6. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,868 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    Best thing Dallas can do is get Peprah on the field in place of Sir-Misses-A-Lot. Maybe he can do a better job of tackling and covering.
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,406 Messages
    4,958 Likes Received
    Danny McCray only played 1 snap on defense last week.
  8. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,868 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    Good. Good.
  9. zack

zack Well-Known Member

2,103 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    I hear ya. :) But the Skins aren't running a conventional NFL offense. Our strength on the defense remains the corners. I just thought that if we put a LB on RG, then we lose a man in the box to defend the run. I think that our other two corners can match up against Wash receivers. Just a thought.

I agree, that we need to wrap up and tackle....
  10. Staxxxx

Staxxxx Member

286 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Agree 100% on this. I think the best thing we can do for our defense is make them play from behind. Turn it into a track meet and let the game situation take away the run threat.
  11. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,075 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Play press man coverage on third downs--none of that soft zone that leaves wide open WRs.
  12. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Mobile QBs necessitate more zone coverage.
  13. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,726 Messages
    3,931 Likes Received
    The CBs need to cover. How I don't know. I prefer zone with someone like RG because they can recognize him running quicker this way (in general). It also protects against the big pass play better.

I have no idea what to do about our ILBs. If I were Washington I would sneak my backs out of the backfield a lot. I would also run a lot of drags etc across their territory. I'd run routes up the seams with my TEs. I'd try some stacked WRs and pick them as well.

Spencer and Ware are going to have to contain RG for the most part. I don't know how much Ware is hurting.

Quick screens and bubble screens seem to cause us trouble esp with quick speedy backs.

Unless they turn the ball over a lot we aren't going to stop them too often. Hopefully we can keep them out of the EZ AMAP.
  14. Denim Chicken

3,075 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    I'd take the gamble, at least 50% of the time. We were absolutely horrible on thirds downs last week.
  15. Denim Chicken

3,075 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Also, good to see Albright and Hatcher practiced fully today.
  16. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,361 Messages
    854 Likes Received
    Let McCray spy him :)
  17. PAINFROMUKRAINE

PAINFROMUKRAINE Active Member

191 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    On obvious passing downs, I want to see a 47 Defense. 4 Defensive Lineman (any combo of DEs and OLBs) rushing RG3 and 7 Defensive Backs. I want NO LBs coverings any WRs, TEs, or RBs.
  18. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

626 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    You stole this from Ryans goal line defensive package. Only he take 2 players out of the game playing 9 which will throw off the QB when he's looking for the Mike LB:laugh2: .
    Ohhh boy.
  19. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,765 Messages
    1,968 Likes Received
    Yes!!

Getting Albright would be huge. Simms as well would be nice.
  20. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

1,994 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    More Hulk Hogan and Big Show