1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Pair of Terps hoping for shot in NFL;Jaimie Thomas & Moise Fokou

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Apr 16, 2009.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Pair of Terps hoping for shot in NFL

By Matt Zenitz, Times Staff Writer Thursday, April 16, 2009

Former Maryland standouts Jaimie Thomas and Moise Fokou have taken two entirely different paths to the cusp of the NFL.

However, one thing has been consistent for both: the dream of playing on Sundays.

With the NFL draft just over a week away, those dreams are inching closer to becoming a reality. Both players are likely second-day picks but the rest is anything but certain.

Thomas, an honorable mention All-ACC guard as a senior at Maryland, has been rumored anywhere from the third to the seventh round. Fokou, who racked up 161 tackles over his final two seasons at outside linebacker as a Terrapin, could come off the board in the late rounds or he may go undraftedbut either way his immediate value to an NFL team looks to be as a special teamer.

“It’s been great, just being given the opportunity,” Thomas said. “Right now, it’s all speculation. No one knows where you’re going to get drafted or if you’re going to get drafted but being blessed with the opportunity to play at the next level is great.”

There has been significant interest in both players following February’s NFL Scouting Combine, when Thomas and Fokou were two of four former Terrapins represented in Indianapolis.

At 6-foot-4, 322 pounds, Thomas ran a 5.25 in the 40-yard dash, fourth best out of the guards at the combine and measured 35-inch long arms, second-best among all interior linemen. Meanwhile, Fokou ran a 4.76 in the 40-yard dash but squeezed out just 12 repetitions on the bench press because of a lingering injury that limited the amount of heavy lifting he could do leading up the combine. However, at Maryland’s Pro Day, Fokou improved that total from 12 to 22 while also registering a 33-inch vertical jump.

Since the combine, Thomas has had private workouts with the Washington Redskins, New York Giants and New York Jets while Fokou has worked out for the Redskins, Miami Dolphins and the New England Patriots.

“They try to see how athletic you are and then try to talk football with you and see how quickly you can learn,” Fokou added. “In essence, they test your athleticism and they also test your brain.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas played primarily guard at Maryland but played offensive tackle and center in high school and did not allow a sack in his junior or senior season.

“I feel I’m very athletic and versatile,” Thomas said. “If a team needs me to move to a different position, I feel I’ll able to do that without much of a problem. I think my athleticism and versatility [provides value] as well as my awareness, being able to pick up different stunts and see things in the defenses.”

Despite being relatively undersized at 6-foot-1, 233 pounds, Fokou is a sure-tackler that possesses the type of speed and athleticism that makes him an intriguing option for NFL teams as not only a special teamer but a developmental prospect at weak side linebacker. His experience on special teams doesn’t hurt his cause as he led the Terrapins in special teams tackles in each of the last two seasons.

“He’s a [heck] of a special teams player and that’s what he’s going to bring to an NFL team right away,” said Chad Wiestling, the agent for both Fokou and Thomas. “Talking to a lot of NFL teams, [they feel] he has a lot of upside and is only going to get better.”

Wiestling, a former captain for the Maryland football team who has also worked in the Raiders and Eagles organizations, has been around long enough to know that you never know how the draft will play out but has high expectations for both of his clients and knows that their shared dream of playing in the NFL is just nine days away from becoming a reality.

“They’ll both be on NFL teams,” Wiestling said. “That, I assure you.”

Reach staff writer Matt Zenitz at 410-857-7896 or sports@carrollcountytimes.com.
  2. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I really like Jamie Thomas.

I hope the Cowboys can get one of these guys:

1. Duke Robinson
    2. Cornelius Lewis
    3. Jamie Thomas

Tyronne Green is a smaller/shorter guard, but he has the body to play center, too. He could be a center/guard. He's built like a tank and has a devasting punch. He could be really, really good.

Ben Grubbs is good, and Green is from Auburn, too.
  3. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I like Brewster from Ball State as well, along with Lang.