1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

Pakistan mob burns two APCs set for U.S. Afghan force

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Aug 25, 2008.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

63,613 Messages
    7,321 Likes Received
    LINK

KARACHI (Reuters) - Gunmen in the Pakistani port city of Karachi set fire to two armored personnel carriers (APCs) bound for U.S. forces in Afghanistan, police said on Monday.

There have been reports Islamist militants had threatened to start attacking supplies bound for foreign forces in Afghanistan in Karachi, where many supplies arrive before being trucked overland into Afghanistan.

The APCs were on a lorry parked by a main road since August 18 because of a strike by truck drivers over rising fuel prices.

"They were armed and about two dozen of them. They first fired and then burned the two APCs," senior police official Faisal Noor told Reuters.

Noor declined to comment when asked if the attack might have been the work of Taliban supporters trying to disrupt supplies reaching foreign forces in Afghanistan, saying his men were still investigating.

From Karachi, supplies for U.S. forces are trucked through two border crossings, one into the southern Afghan town of Spin Boldak, and the other to the northeast at the top of the Khyber Pass.

Taliban militants regularly attack supplies, in particular fuel trucks, on the border or after they pass into Afghanistan.

But if confirmed, this would be the first militant attack on U.S. military supplies in Karachi.
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

37,368 Messages
    3,502 Likes Received
    Pakistan has been involved for some time now. Just a matter of time I suppose.
  3. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Things are going to get much worse in Afghanistan with Musharaf out. He wasnt the most perfect ally but he was a military man who understood objective and worked with us.
    33 of the 60 years it has been in existence it has been run by a military man (Pakistan)
    Expect another coup if the religious conservatives get too wacky..Pakistan is too vital not to control..its a nuclear power..its strategically located.
    There WILL be another military man in control..just a matter of time.
    My Bet: General Ashfaq Kayani, Strong American ties, experience..remember this name.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

43,045 Messages
    2,573 Likes Received
    sadly I doubt anyone who gets in will have the power to clean out the Pakistan Intelligence- which is where the REAL problem is.
  5. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It gets worse - the Russians have just recently announced their intention to suspend an agreement allowing NATO to supply Afghanistan through Russia, as well as telling us we are no longer allowed to base out of the former Soviet Republics in the region (well duh, I suppose, in light of recent events). These were our only routes that allowed us to resupply Afghanistan free from the recent increase in raids by militants. This may wind up with a full invasion of Pakistan. Not only to secure supply routes to Afghanistan, but to secure their nuclear arsenal...in the event things completely collapse over there.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article4608250.ece
  6. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I really hope people truly understand the significance of this situation, especially with Russia's partnership with Syria.
  7. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    very true
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

43,045 Messages
    2,573 Likes Received
    It will be interesting to see if those republics let the Russians boss them around.