1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Palin press may boycott UN conference

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 23, 2008.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,548 Messages
    3,395 Likes Received
    Kenneth P. Vogel
    57 minutes ago

NEW YORK – Journalists, displeased with Sarah Palin’s efforts to restrict their access to her, are threatening not to cover her events surrounding the United Nations conference here unless they're allowed more access.

ADVERTISEMENT

The unfolding boycott is the latest development in a rocky relationship between Palin’s handlers and the press, in which the campaign has sought to tightly control her interactions with the media.

The campaign had originally indicated that the print reporters following her campaign would be among the small group of journalists allowed to attend the so-called “pool sprays” before Palin’s meetings with dignitaries on the sidelines of the U.N. meetings.

The sprays are basically glorified photo opportunities during which journalists can snap photos and film footage and – if they’re lucky – shout a question or two at Palin and her company before she adjourns for private meetings. On Tuesday, those meetings were to include Afghan President Karzai and former U.S. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger.

But the imbroglio began developing Tuesday morning when Palin’s handlers informed the small print press contingent covering her campaign that the print reporter designated to cover the events, Elizabeth Holmes of the Wall Street Journal, would not be allowed to cover the sprays.

The campaign’s reasoning was that there were not going to be questions or statements at the sprays, so they were only appropriate for photographers and cameramen.

The campaign also at first moved to bar CNN, the television network designated for pool duty, from sending its editorial producer – basically a hybrid print/video journalist – though the campaign budged when the network threatened to withhold its cameras as well.

With Palin’s first meeting set to begin at noon, that leaves the print reporters on the outs.

UPDATE: After shutting the print pooler, Holmes, out of the spray before Palin’s meeting with Afghan President Karzai—“rudely,” according to Holmes—the campaign relented and agreed to let her cover the sprays before Palin’s next two meetings, with Colombian President Uribe and Kissinger. Updated story forthcoming.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080923/pl_politico/13783
  2. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    If I were Palin I wouldn't give any of the scum in the media a glass of water if they were on fire. NBC would be 100% cut off after that incest "joke" on SNL.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,789 Messages
    2,859 Likes Received
    Oh lordy...sometimes if people actually seen some things instead of just hearing about it...they might understand things better.

Why oh why don't we have a test requirement before allowing people to vote?
  4. canters

canters Active Member

1,778 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Because the test would rule out too many Dems....they would fail at a higher rate than the rest of us?
  5. BrAinPaiNt

59,789 Messages
    2,859 Likes Received
    You, it would appear, have no clue what I am even talking about or why I said it...which kind of proves my point.
  6. ZB9

ZB9 New Member

1,024 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    LMAO what a bunch of clowns. What are they going to do, trash her in their media?

Perhaps they should show some respect? The MSM doesnt dictate **** when it comes to things like this
  7. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    I watched it. I understand what the claimed intent was. I also know if they made jokes like that about Bill Clinton and his daughter there would be a explosion of indignation by hypocritical liberals.

Although.... we all know Bill likes his girls young.;)

Not that I blame him after looking at Hillary for years.;)
  8. canters

canters Active Member

1,778 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I caught your point, but was not addressing it....I should not have quoted your comment,,,,much sorry BP,,,was poking at the Dems....I thought it was funny....what do I know.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

59,789 Messages
    2,859 Likes Received
    It was not even a joke about the palins it was a joke to rip on the MSM who you are ripping on yourself...it was to show how far they have gone to find something on her and how silly some of it has become.

Geez...I mean you are ripping the MSM and use an excuse about a joke which in itself was doing the same thing.
  10. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    I understand about the quality and type of people that find humor in that sort of thing. Classless. There are thousands of ways to make fun of the MSM. NBC chose that classless method for a reason. Mass appeal to people that share their values.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

59,789 Messages
    2,859 Likes Received
    Yeah...ok...you don't get it.

I will drop it.
  12. NinePointOh

NinePointOh Active Member

1,536 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Sure they do. The media is a private enterprise. They can choose to cover or not cover anything they want. McCain and Palin clearly want media coverage of this trip, but they want it on their own unprecedentedly controlled terms. If the media finds those terms too ridiculous to be worth their trouble, they don't have to cover the trip at all. Palin needs the media more than the media needs Palin.

Oh, brother. And I thought liberals were the PC police.
  13. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,548 Messages
    3,395 Likes Received
    Palin meets Karzai without usual reporters in tow

By SARA KUGLER, Associated Press Writer
    51 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, who has not held a press conference in nearly four weeks of campaigning, on Tuesday barred most pool reporters from her meeting with Afghan President Hamid Karzai, the first foreign head of state she has ever met.

ADVERTISEMENT

Journalists protested the campaign's decision to exclude all but photographers and a TV crew from Palin's sessions with foreign leaders. CNN decided to withdraw its TV crew, effectively denying Palin the high visibility she sought for her initial foray into world affairs. The campaign then reversed course, saying pool reporters — a small group that provides information to all media — could attend the meetings planned after Karzai hosted Palin at his suite in The Barclay New York Hotel.

A television producer with a notepad was denied entry into Karzai's suite by a man who repeatedly said, "No writers." However, a Palin official stepped in and let him pass, according to a pool report.

In the Karzai suite, Palin sat in a large chair a few feet from Karzai. Behind her were foreign policy advisers for the campaign, Steve Biegun and Randy Scheunemann.

Photographers and the TV crew were asked to leave after about a half-minute of recording Palin and Karzai. An exchange clearly heard above the clicking of cameras involved Karzai's son, born in January 2007.

"What is his name?" Palin asked.

"Mirwais," Karzai responded. "Mirwais, which means, 'The Light of the House.'"

"Oh, nice," Palin said.

"He is the only one we have," Karzai said.

Presidents and members of Congress routinely allow reporters to attend photo opportunities along with photographers. Reporters sometimes are able to ask questions during the brief photo sessions, usually held at the beginning of private meetings.

In response to questions about why pool reporters who routinely travel with Palin were denied access, spokeswoman Tracey Schmitt didn't offer a reason in a statement that read, "The decision was made for this to be a photo spray with still cameras and video cameras only."

At first, campaign aides said pool reporters would not be admitted along with still photographers and a video camera crew taken in to photograph Palin's meetings with Karzai and Colombian President Alvaro Uribe, who were in town for the United Nations General Assembly. She was to meet later with former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger.

Those sessions and meetings scheduled for Wednesday were part of the Republican campaign's effort to give the Alaska governor some experience in foreign affairs. She had never before met a foreign head of state and had first traveled outside North America just last year.

At least two news organizations, including The Associated Press, objected to the exclusion of reporters and were told that the decision was not subject to discussion. Campaign aides subsequently announced that reporters would be allowed to accompany photographers into the later sessions with Uribe and Kissinger.

Palin has been criticized for avoiding taking questions from reporters or submitting to one-on-one interviews. She has had just two major interviews since Republican presidential candidate John McCain chose her as his running mate on Aug. 29.

On Wednesday, McCain and Palin were expected to meet jointly with Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili and Ukrainian President Viktor Yuschenko. Palin was then to meet separately with Iraqi President Jalal Talabani, Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
  14. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    When you don't know what the frick you're talking about, of course you don't want reporters there to document it.

:laugh2:
  15. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Notice I never said to ban that anything. I noted that certain types of people enjoy that type of humor. Live and let live, I just didn't see the need for incest jokes about the next potential vice presidents family. It's not like he went out and raped 3 or 4 women and then used a position of power to force interns to perform sex acts on him like the Clinton did.