1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ***Parcell Retires***

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by joseephuss, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Rockytop6

Rockytop6 Well-Known Member

2,072 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I have not been impressed with the job he has done in ND.
  2. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,851 Messages
    1,108 Likes Received
    I need you both back to argue with next year just in case my boy TO is back in the saddle. ;)

:popcorn:
  3. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,863 Messages
    222 Likes Received
    One thing is for sure, if we hire Norv you will never hear Aikman talking bad about us on Sundays again. He loves Norm and said just a week ago that he didn't have a good opportunity in Washington.
  4. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,851 Messages
    1,108 Likes Received
    You mean Norv? :ralph: :puke: :ralph:
  5. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,732 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    It sure looks like that doesn't it.

You are correct. BP was solid, but I got fed up with his schemes and his unwillingness to change them.

Who knows who we will get as coach. It's always a crap shoot when trying to pick the right person with the right scheme who just happens to be able to establish a rapport conducive to winning with a particular team. We may not get anyone better, and we may get someone worse, but it's time to take the gamble IMHO. It's just clear to me that BP had taken this team as far as he could; which wasn't good enough.
  6. Dodger

Dodger Indomitable

4,212 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    I can't say that I'm not happy about this. I mean, what does it matter whether we clean house now or at the end of next season. Either way, this was bound to happen. I'm perfectly fine with sooner rather than later.

As for new coaching candidates, here are mine, and some of these guys have yet to be mentioned here:

(Cam Cameron was on my list, but unfortunately, Miami snagged him first)

1. Rex Ryan - Probably the best DC in the NFL today. He's good with evaluating talent and is a proven commodity.

2. Ron Rivera - He understands what makes a good defense, but there are a couple of concerns. First, we can't interview him until after the Super Bowl, and second, he runs a 4-3 cover 2 (from Tampa) that I'm not all that crazy about, especially with our weaknesses at safety.

3. Russ Grimm - At least one of his first priorities would be to fix our offensive line. I'm not that fond of his conservative style, though...

4. Jim Schwartz - Uses blitzing and pressure packages well. Learned his stuff under Belichick and Fisher.

5. Rob Ryan - Has done extremely well with what he's had to work with in Oakland.

6. Josh McDaniels - Probably my favorite right now. Offensive coordinator for the Pats. Smart playcaller and very good with developing talent. I'd like to see the Pats' system come here to Dallas as they consistantly find ways to win despite the talent level.
  7. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,732 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    I'll be back, so get your popcorn ready!:lmao:
  8. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,339 Messages
    1,362 Likes Received
    juke - bad hire? let's consider this:
    johnson - good.
    switzer - bad (i disagree but wil mark it bad cause i'm a loner here)
    gailey - bad (although didn't he have playoff success?)
    campo - bad (this one will make up for any "good" that would come from switzer or gailey so it evens out)
    parcells - good (jones proved he would hire a HOF coach and let him go.)

5 coaches, 2 good. that's a .400 batting average. if jones is smart enough to be a billionaire then maybe he's smart enough to not let the viewed lack of success take away from having to have a leader for a coach and to let him alone.

we'll see, but how many teams have a .400 batting average on coaches? what would snyders be at this point?
  9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Here is a name that has been brought up before...but just on rare occasions.

I have to admit he intrigues me a little more than some of the other guys.

The reason being he had a job for a completely clueless team, he did not have all of the defensive studs like a Baltimore or Chicago. Futher more to keep that defense going after the team lost time and time again due to no offense was pretty impressive IMO.

For a coach to keep players from quitting on him, due to that raiders offense and team record...is pretty amazing.

Now...I doubt he get's hired, but still interesting.
  10. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,339 Messages
    1,362 Likes Received
    i'd love to see us look at both ryan brothers.

one thing pointed out on the ticket was that jones always come out of left field from where he's gotten coaches. given that, it's hard to predict where he'll go now.

he usually sees success and goes to emulate it - that would be a younger guy likely, putting the ryans into the mix.
  11. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita The Ultimate Cowbabe Zone Supporter

14,461 Messages
    1,664 Likes Received
    I've got mixed emotions about this. The players stopped responding to BP, so a change is probably best. Plus, the look on Tuna's face at times this past season indicated that he just wasn't enjoying his job in Dallas (if he ever did). Here is my fondest memory of him here:

[IMG]

Have a happy retirement BP and I'm sorry it didn't work out here. I hope we all look back one day and say "We just won this championship with Tuna's players." That would be awesome.
  12. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Do you have his reaction when we beat the Giants at the Medowlands in his first year ?
  13. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    I think Switzer was the only one out of left field.

Chan, although people may forget, was considered a good OC in Pittsburgh and many that Jerry talked to at the time thought he would be a good hire.

But...Jerry is not your normal cat...which is what scares me about him right now.
  14. ka0tik

ka0tik DALLAS

2,883 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    Yeah I got mixed emotions also. But I do recognize Dallas was a very uninspired team at times with BP's and very inconsistent. Hes was a Great One, But in Dallas unfortunately I think his ''magic'' had gone away. I'm excited to see where we go on from here, cant wait to see who our new HC is.
  15. Bob Gray

Bob Gray Member

62 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Leave it to Parcells to take the drama queen route.

It looked like he still had a little milk left in his coaching 'teats'.
  16. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    I love how ESPN is making this all look like Bill Parcell's doing. I'm beginning to think that Jerry didn't want him anymore.

The TO issue is being blown out of proportion, and people are making it seem as if Parcell's was limited by Jerry Jones, despite the fact that we switched to a 3-4, and brought in Parcell's players like Vinny Testaverde, and Drew Bledsoe, as well as Terry Glenn.

And Bill being 'unhappy' about his extension is BS. The guy got paid top dollar, and for Bill to demand a contract extension reflects that he is nothing but delirious.
  17. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,056 Messages
    2,973 Likes Received
    I don't mind a coach being old. I don't want one who seems uninterested.
  18. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I meant "old" in approach. Not age.

He was just a tired old man.
  19. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

1,086 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    What would you guys think about Jon Gruden being our coach...
  20. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,056 Messages
    2,973 Likes Received
    Rex as HC with Rob as his DC?