1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

Parting shot: Falcons TE Gonzalez says QB Ryan isn't yet 'elite'

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by RS12, Feb 9, 2014.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

15,774 Messages
    2,287 Likes Received
    On the surface, it seems pointless to debate the status of a quarterback who has accounted for 13,411 yards passing and 90 total touchdowns over the last three seasons, with an NFC championship appearance thrown into the mix.

And yet, here we are, thanks to Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez.

Citing an ESPN The Magazine article that's due to hit the shelves soon, the future Hall of Famer had some interesting things to say about QB Matt Ryan ... along with his final season in Atlanta, supposedly the swan-song year of an amazing career.

Regarding Ryan's possible status as an "elite" QB, Gonzalez said, "Matt's an excellent quarterback. But he's not elite. He's thisclose. He'll get there, but he has some learning to do."

http://msn.foxsports.com/south/stor...-gonzalez-says-qb-ryan-isn-t-yet-elite-020714
  2. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

8,318 Messages
    3,325 Likes Received
    He is not elite and is not "this close" to being elite either. The only thing favorable on his side is age which gives him a chance to get better. I think we have seen his ceiling, but ya never know.
  3. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

3,146 Messages
    1,325 Likes Received
    Tony is definitely correct, although I don't see the point in saying it when he did.

Ryan is nowhere close to being elite.
  4. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

23,268 Messages
    2,194 Likes Received
    Gonzales is getting his next career as a TV analyst started early.
  5. casmith07

casmith07 Attorney-at-Zone

28,240 Messages
    3,631 Likes Received
    The "elite" stuff is ridiculous. Russell Wilson isn't "elite" and he's got a Lombardi Trophy.

Maybe if Roddy White wasn't hot garbage without Julio Jones on the field, and Gonzalez didn't self-serve himself and his own statistics at the expense of the Falcons developing a new tight end behind him, Matt Ryan may have performed better this past year.

Way to throw the guy under the bus that's helped you single-handedly stay ahead of Jason Witten in tight end statistical categories. Classy move.
  6. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

7,875 Messages
    2,821 Likes Received
    Living in ATL I have never heard anyone ever say Ryan was elite. I think everyone pretty much can see he is not.
  7. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

3,485 Messages
    1,383 Likes Received
    I hate the elite/not elite arguement. I miss the days when it was just good or not.
  8. joseephuss

23,268 Messages
    2,194 Likes Received
    When were those days? There have always been more than just two classifications of QBs.
  9. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

3,485 Messages
    1,383 Likes Received
    The good auld days, before your time.
  10. joseephuss

23,268 Messages
    2,194 Likes Received
    I doubt days were that great in the 50s and 60s with regards to the NFL.
  11. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

28,534 Messages
    2,630 Likes Received
    I love it.

Falcons to win Super Bowl this year.

Ala Tiki parting shots about Eli. Good grief.
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

26,637 Messages
    4,255 Likes Received
    Matt Ryan is plenty good enough to win a Super Bowl.
    Look, if Joe freaking Flacco just won one, guys like Ryan (and Romo for that matter) are fully capable of doing it if everything falls into place.
    BIG "IF"

I do think that prior to this year, Ryan was a bit overrated. I think the public perception has been properly adjusted though.
  13. Achilleslastand

Achilleslastand Well-Known Member

1,695 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    Trent Dilfer^^.............
    MR does have a catchy nickname so he must be elite right..........