1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Pass Blocking Efficiency

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by mortboy, Nov 28, 2012.

1. mortboy

mortboy Member

781 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I know some of you don't like PFF's grading system, but here it is. This one grades the tackles for pass blocking efficiency. Big news. Free isn't the worst, very close though.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/28/sig-stat-snapshot-pass-blocking-efficiency/

What are numbers without context? That was the driving force behind our signature stats section and it’s why I’m able to write about things like the Pass Blocking Efficiency.

It’s a simple enough concept. If you judge an offensive linemen just by how many times they get beaten for a sack, then you’re really not judging them at all. You need to take into account how much total pressure they give up, how many snaps they’re in pass protection for, and how quickly the pressure comes.

Now this stat doesn’t take into account how quickly the pressure comes (that’s what our grading is for), but it does the other things so I can, without any doubt, say that this stat beats all the others when it comes to measuring the performance of offensive linemen in pass protection.

The formula is simple enough. You add all sacks with three quarters the worth of hits and hurries, divide by snaps in pass protection, take away from 100 and just like that you’ve got an efficiency formula.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,917 Messages
    1,192 Likes Received
    PFF is worthless.

Unless they know the exact assignment of every player on each particular play they cannot give a grade that is worth more than a bucket of warm spit.

Not to mention their formulas are a joke anyway
  3. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,383 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    I actually thought fairly highly of that site...until I read an artlicle they published on OL rankings back on 11/13 that included the following:

The notion that the Cowboys OL does "a good job of putting running backs in position to make plays" is so utterly ludicrous that one has to question the validity of anything they publish.
  4. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,704 Messages
    824 Likes Received
    The remark looks insane now but less so 11/13. We had just beat the eagles by 15 or whatever it is. Even spare felix jones had over 70 yards that game.

The OL rank of 25th is certainly not high. They do a good job of reducing the pure numbers rank by factoring in penalties which certainly have killed us.

I have questions about their ratings largely because they don't consider the opponent in their metrics. Opponent is probably the largest variable.

Getting beat by Demarcus Ware shouldn't ding an OL the same as getting beat by Victor Butler.
  5. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,641 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Before computing these figures, take Doug Free out of the equation, then put him back in the equation, then thats look at the difference Free makes in the equation.:lmao2:
  6. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,865 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    [IMG]

They probably saw this a few times when they graded out players when they made that comment.

The red arrow was where Murray took the ball, and the yellow arrow is probably where he should have gone with the ball.

This has happened with the running game too, but it isn't the primary problem.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,717 Messages
    5,247 Likes Received
    Correct.

They also put out something a few years ago that said Roy Williams was a more productive WR than Miles Austin, back when Austin actually played well.

They are a completely worthless read.
  8. burmafrd

40,917 Messages
    1,192 Likes Received
    Like this year- they gave Eli a higher ranking then Romo in the first Giants game.

PFF is worthless as regards ranking
  9. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,641 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Give me Free's numbers:lmao:
  10. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received

That's not how I heard it.
  11. Pandora

Pandora Member

33 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Since you seem to know all about their formulas, would you mind sharing them? I'd be very interested to get more insight into PFF's process.

Or are you just another clueless guy with a strong opinion?
  12. burmafrd

40,917 Messages
    1,192 Likes Received
    Theogt discussed them in a thread a while ago. For someone who is new to this board you are just out of luck. Go search yourself if you want something. You expect everything to be handed too you, right?
  13. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    Well I can come up with a few outliers to prove Apple sucks, but that doesn't make it true.

PFF is about the best football site of it's kind anywhere. Is it without it's warts? Yes maybe. However looking at this list, it seems pretty accurate to me.

Free sucks-get rid of him and replace with #10 on the list (who happens to be a FA) and the line will look infintely better.
  14. burmafrd

40,917 Messages
    1,192 Likes Received
    of course you love it; that way you can keep claiming our O line is not as bad as everyone else knows it is

The PFF believers got owned in that thread theogt showed the formulas were bad but you were MIA there. Wonder why?

Using garbage data only gives you garbage conclusions. GIGO
  15. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,273 Likes Received
    Certain factions like the site when it supports their agenda. Others ignore the site and take it for what it really is, garbage.
  16. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    Yes as long as something doesn't fit your short sighted narrative, it sucks? I get it. You never seem to come up with anything substantial to offer on why the team sucks other than the oline blows. It's tired and weak.

Is the site perfect? No, but what statistical analysis is? Doug Free is terrible and this site confirms it, how is it inaccurate?

I just hope you're not a Romo lover who points out his passer rating as the reason he's great, and than in the same turn says this analysis which is far more in depth as anything out there is wrong because of one ridiculous example you can muster.
  17. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,383 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    Would you concede that claiming that the Cowboys have the 7th best run blocking OL in the league (up from 13th on 10/24/12) is pretty much indefensible?
  18. burmafrd

40,917 Messages
    1,192 Likes Received
    its garbage with all the ratings

You do remember of course that it gave Eli a higher grade in the first Giant game then Romo, right?

Your BS claim that nothing is perfect is the typical cop out when you have no other answer. Garbage ratings are garbage period and SHOULD be ignored by all those that actually want to think about things.
  19. Pandora

Pandora Member

33 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not really, no. But given that you are such a long-tenured member I thought your were a really, really smart guy, so I would have expected you to back up you blanket statements with some facts of your own, and not just a reference to some obscure thread somehwere

I now see that I was mistaken.
  20. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,754 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    We have had some success in the running game though, vs. NY,BAL,TB etc. it's not like they're raving about the line, still ranked them 25th which is fair.