1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Passing against our cornerbacks

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by AdamJT13, Sep 11, 2005.

1. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,075 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    THROWN AT HENRY
    8 yards to Parker
    interception, intended for Caldwell
    5 yards to McCardell
    incompletion to McCardell
    5 yards to Parker
    11 yards to McCardell
    incompletion to Peelle
    incompletion to Parker
    incompletion to Parker
    17 yards to McCardell
    incompletion to Caldwell
    33 yards to Parker
    TOTALS: 6-for-13, 79 yards, 1 interception

=================

THROWN AT NEWMAN
    18 yards to Parker
    incompletion to Parker
    16 yards to McCardell
    9 yards to Caldwell
    incompletion to Caldwell
    TOTALS: 3-for-7, 43 yards

===============

THROWN AT GLENN
    incompletion to Parker
    interception, intended for Parker
    TOTALS: 0-for-2, 0 yards, 1 interception

===============

TOTALS FOR ALL THREE:
    9-for-22, 122 yards, 2 interceptions, 0 touchdowns (21.4 passer rating)
  2. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thanx Adam, that was very interesting. I did not realize they did that well. I thought Newman was torched until I saw the numbers.
  3. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

4,968 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    But Adam, Newman sucks.

Didn't you see some pass completion on the other side of the field? Or a completion because a safety was in the wrong spot in coverage? All Newman.

In all seriousness, great stats as always.
  4. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,626 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    Lol, how true. I think people forget our corners go up against good players too. Completions will occur regardless.
  5. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    Lets not act like Newman played great. I've never been on the "Newman sucks" bandwagon, but he did miss a couple of tackles that led to some chargers YAC. He didn't play bad, but he didn't play great either.

The one thing that Newman doesn't have that Henry does have is anticipation. It seems Newman plays a bit too tense. I hope he learns a bit from Henry and Glenn this year and loosens up a bit.
  6. Cowboy from New York

Cowboy from New York Active Member

1,681 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    I have to admit that I thought Newman got beat a lot more than that. I had commented on Newman negatively and was concerned if he was starting the year off like last year. Looks liked I goofed :shootfoot
    Thanks Adam.
  7. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Thanks Adam very interesting stats. unfortunately some people will still say Newman was torched all day.
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    Great post. Thanks for the #'s. Nice to have 3 legit CB's.
  9. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree Rack and after one game big edge to Henry as the best Cowboy corner .
    I am not and never was I a Newman hater. I think he is a solid player,but not a star.
  10. TheHustler

TheHustler Active Member

5,391 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That makes him 9 of 15 for 87 yards and 2 TDs against everyone else in the secondary?

That's pretty poor.

Stats can be skewed to show anything. Bottom line, our pass defense needs to improve. If Brees can throw for 200+ yards and 2 TDs with Keenen McCardell as his #1, we're in trouble. Good thing Gates couldn't play.
  11. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

4,968 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    He also doesn't have Henry's size or overall nose for the ball. I think there's little doubt who this team's top corner has become.

I agree Newman didn't have a great game, but based on some of the "bust" posts you see circulating here every game, you'd think he was the responsible for every defensive error. It's really getting quite interesting the amount of hate thrown his way every week.
  12. Cowboy from New York

Cowboy from New York Active Member

1,681 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    On the last defensive stand was Newman play the slot WR and Glenn on the outside WR?
  13. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Regrettably, Roy is still useless when he's 10 or more yards away from line of scrimmage. I don't expect 10 picks from him, but how 'bout breaking up a pass or two?
  14. 50cent

50cent Well-Known Member

2,588 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    Adam I'm impressed but why didn't you show the passes defensed by each one, especially Henry and Tnew?
  15. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Its astonishing the amount of carte blanche Roy gets compared to Newman.

It seems as though Roy doesn't have any blame, because he really doesn't have any responsibility. Any problems in pass coverage are all the cornerback's and free safety's fault. Any breakdowns on run defense are the front 7's fault. Even the plays that are made on him routinely are supposedly not his fault, because evidently he's the only defensive back in the history of the NFL that shouldn't have to cover anybody, ever. What exactly is he responsible for? Nobody knows.
  16. dallasfan

dallasfan New Member

978 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Anthony Henry had 6 more passes thrown his way, so obviously he would have more passes defended.
  17. 50cent

50cent Well-Known Member

2,588 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    Did you look at the stats? My point is they both made plays on the ball. It wasn't like the SD WR were just dropping the ball. TNew and Henry were actually getting a hand in the passing lane and breaking them up. TNew didn't play nearly as bad as some are making him out to be. Just imagine if you were SD and had to put up with Jammer's career.
  18. MRTRIPOD

MRTRIPOD New Member

338 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I Think Newman Played A Great Game!!!!!!!
  19. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,570 Messages
    712 Likes Received
    Dale, I think the safety was lost out there today. Way too many balls "flung" for 15 yards plus and completed. He's not terrible by any stretch and seems pretty "coached up" but needs lots more experience. JMO of course.
  20. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Throwing for 200 yards doesn't mean much when it takes you 35 attempts to do it. Nor does throwing for 2 TD's, when you also throw 2 INT's.

I think Newman played the best out of all our secondary, including Henry. Roy and Keith Davis were liabilities in coverage, no surprise there. Henry's int is mitigatedd by giving up two huge completions on the final drive, including a 35 yard catch to Eric Parker on 4th and 14 which almost cost the Cowboys the game. That was by far worse than anything Newman did today.