1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Pastor Draws Protests

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Doomsday101, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    A Phoenix-area pastor has started to draw protesters to his congregation after he delivered a sermon titled, "Why I Hate Barack Obama," and told his parishioners that he prays for President Obama's death.

Pastor Steven Anderson stood by his sermon in an interview with MyFOXPhoenix, which reports that the pastor continues to encourage his parishioners to join him in praying for the president's death.

"I hope that God strikes Barack Obama with brain cancer so he can die like Ted Kennedy and I hope it happens today," he told MyFOXPhoenix on Sunday. He called his message "spiritual warfare" and said he does not condone killing.

But a small crowd of protesters gathered around his church Sunday, calling Anderson's words "incomprehensible." And MyFOXPhoenix reported that the sermon, which has drawn widespread attention, led to death threats against the pastor.

Anderson's inflammatory message stems in part from Obama's abortion-rights stance.

In Anderson's controversial sermon, delivered at his Faithful Word Baptist Church in Tempe before Obama arrived for a speech in Phoenix earlier in the month, the pastor said he wants the president to "melt like a snail" with salt on it.

"I'm gonna pray that he dies and goes to hell when I go to bed tonight. That's what I'm gonna pray," he told his congregation.

The last time fierce opposition to Obama's abortion position drew widespread attention was when Obama delivered the commencement address at the University of Notre Dame.

The Anderson sermon also drew concern after it was reported that one man carrying an assault rifle outside the Phoenix arena where Obama spoke was a member of Anderson's church.
  2. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    I can tell you if I was a member of this man church I would leave it right away. I may not agree with President Obama on many issues and I hope when he is up for re-election he looses but this is completely uncalled for. Like him or not he is the President of the United States
  3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,996 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    This guy is an idiotic hate monger ....... just like President Obama's spiritual adviser.
  4. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    I find it hard to think of this person as a man of god.
  5. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's not. Neither is Rev. Wright. You cannot teach contrary to the Bible and be considered a man of God.
  6. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This guy should be defrocked, if that's the correct term.
  7. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Wow. Wow.
  8. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,723 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    "Laicize" is the more proper term, though defrocked, while being more slang-ish, is used more often.
  9. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
  10. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Do people use the term "defrocked" when describing anyone other than a Catholic priest, though? I don't think i've ever heard that used in regards to a protestant minister.

Hey wait: this isn't a religious discussion, is it?
  11. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,723 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Religious from a technical/informational point of view. And no, defrocked can apply to protestants as well. Anyone who was ordained can be defrocked.
  12. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    Let's not turn this thread into more than it is at this point. :)

On a side note, for some reason the term defrocked just makes me feel naughty...in a good way.
  13. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    That guys frocking nuts.
  14. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,880 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    No to worry. This "pastor" isn't making a religious statement as much as it is a political statement. Disguising it as a religious stance is what concerns me.
  15. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'm pretty sure that's more of a Catholic concept. And if a Catholic priest was doing something like this, it's likely he would be excommunicated, which is a big step further than laicized. My dad is a laicized Catholic Priest, and it was definitely a process where he wanted to no longer be a priest but still be active in the church, and the laicization process is the proper means to do that. When you're involuntarily removed, it's a different matter altogether, which may involve both laicization and excommunication.

But as someone else observed, this guy's a Baptist, and I don't know what their rules are... although I'd assume "love thy neighbor" is still one of them.

This guy seems like he has a screw loose... either that or he's just trying to get attention.
  16. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,723 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Hmm, you could be right about the "laicized" term. But I have defnitely seen the term "defrocked" used to describe protestant officials as well.
  17. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Again, just talking about Catholics here because that's what I know.

Holy Orders are considered a permanent sacrament. So once you are a Priest you are always a Priest, no matter what. If you either want to be relieved of your duties or the Church wants to relieve you of them for whatever reason, they can do that, but you are still technically a Priest.

So effectively you become a "layperson" / are "laicized" and you no longer can officiate the sacraments. There is a provision, whereby if someone wants last rites performed before their death, and you can't possibly get them to an active Priest (like if they're on their deathbed or on a plane that's going down, etc) a laicized priest can perform those last rites.
  18. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    You wouldn't sit there for 20 years listening to an idiot? You mean you have enough back bone to get up and leave when you pastor turns into a lunctic? Too bad Barack Obama does not possess such courage.
  19. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Totally absurd.

And whatever congregation this so called pastor has should leave him immediately. Everyone knows I want Obama removed from office, but this is not the way. And encouraging his death is only going to foster hate and some kook out there is going to take a shot at him.

Despicable.
  20. TheRat

TheRat The Silly Willy

1,897 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    [youtube]0GD89JJZlWI[/youtube]